What was life like in the 90s? Vol. Old heads chime in

J's came out Wednesday's too.
Yep! You would skip the first class to get a pair and come to school late with them on lol. I remember my senior year in high school, the Jordan 13 retro’s in black/red came out 12/22/04, which was a Wednesday. Me and a few buddies went to Shoe City here in PG county and stood in line waiting for them to open. We all got our pairs and dropped them off at home and went to school late lol. Good times. I wore mines after Christmas break...lol

One thing I miss about the 90's was the instant conflict resolution that occurred in person. Nowadays, people have internet conflict that never ends... because people today on the internet are comfortable knowing that they are never going to see the person that they have a conflict with in person. In the 90's... if someone heard that someone else was talking about them... at least in the hood... an instant verbal conflict would occur. It could start... and end... right away... with a polite conversation. The instant verbal conflict that started with a polite conversation could also end... right away... with a fight, assault, etc. etc. No matter what happened though... in the 90's... conflict would eventually end... and people would have fun. Nowadays... especially on the internet... I feel like for a lot of people that the conflict on the internet is their fun... which is why it never ends.

100% positive I held this page in my hands during my 10th grade school year (1996/97). Probably had friends huddled around in class looking at it.
Haha same. Think “this is it, this is the best shoe every and can’t be outdone”, all to say it again the next year

Here’s the magazine that y’all missed that was the game changer. Toys R Us magazine before Christmas so you can pick out the gifts you wanted for your parents to know. I remember by Christmas that magazine was absolutely destroyed because I’d flip through it so much.

Whheeennn IIIII Coooomeeee Arrrooouuunnnddd

download.jpg

Born in 87!

I definitely can attest to the Eastbay magazine. You bring that in class, you definitely get points and be “the man” for that day. I also remember having the kicks magazine from slam. Man, those were some good days.

Jordan’s used to sit on shelves for months and most cases, go on sale(Minus the Jordan 11’s in black/red in 1996).

Back then for me and my siblings, we would only get one or two sneakers the whole school year. One for back to school shopping and the other for your Bday. My mom would have a price cap of the shoes she can buy. I remember I wanted the black/silver Nike Air Max uptempo 3’s(now called the uptempo 97’s) and saw it at Athletes Foot. Retail was $139.99. I asked my mom, she said no. I had to settle and get some black air force ones, which retailed for $74.99 back then. I know that was common to a lot of families back then as far as shoes. Lastly, shoes came out every couple of months compared to now while they come out every week.

Let’s not forget how video games used to cost $60-$80, which is pretty insane in the 90’s. I used to wonder why we didn’t have that many Sega and Super Nintendo games, but I can see why looking back. We used to just rent video games most of the time.
Here is proof
1F0261E3-9FD6-4A82-AAFF-E3640B01DBBD.jpeg
FE7785C4-E453-4FAB-9D50-D69247903EDF.jpeg

Getting a CD on release day was a big deal back then lol. Back then, you knew a rapper had a new album coming out when you see his video on rap city or hear it on the radio. You would get hyped when you open the source magazine and you see the advertisement of the album. You would go into the CD store and listen to the album before you decide to buy it. Good times, just good ol times.
Tuesday’s. :smokin

Block party’s was definitely different in the 90s, super soakers in the summer, skully on the block, tokens to get on the train and paper transfers. Rent was actually reasonable. Mannnnn take me back please.

Block party’s was definitely different in the 90s, super soakers in the summer, skully on the block, tokens to get on the train and paper transfers. Rent was actually reasonable. Mannnnn take me back please.

I hardly ever see impromptu neighborhood block parties anymore.

It wasn't ALL good in the 90s. When I finished Uni (94-98 ) I had student loan debts. So for a while after graduating, I was working via a temp agency just enough to pay expenses, incl. the monthly interest.

I managed to pay it all off in 8 years, but it was such an important lesson learned. Today I have no debt, no car, no credit card.

On another note: I was around when Nas "Illmatic" dropped in 1994. Grabbed the Cassette at Strawberry's in Boston while on a school trip. Good times.

Peace

Social Credit had to be earned in person, because there was no internet.

Nobody got their picture taken unless it was an important moment or they were an important person.

Now Social Credit is earned online... by a younger generation that inherited real social credit from their parents... who do not have to prove themselves as much in person.

Back
Top Bottom