What WAS the last classic release?

Originally Posted by Master Zik

It was this year actually. It was Distant Relatives.

Before that OB4CL2, The Salvation, and My Soul To Keep.

A lot of you are mentioning some classics or near classics but apparently haven't been listening to enough hip hop in a couple years. Then the others just aint naming any albums close to classic.

EDIT

How is Krit's album classic? Join is good but it aint no damn classic to me. Yall naming a gang of records from this year. Krit album aint better than Big Boi's and guess what his album aint classic either. Nor is Krit's album seeing Rhymefest's, The Roots, Slum Village, or TiRon's joint.
Wait Slum Village Manifesto??
Com' on son....I mess with Slum village heavy...but that album wasnt trash....but it wasnt good..it was okay....

and I haven't heard rhymefest's cuz he doesn't interest me at all with that lisp.....Ive yet to hear Big boi album...so I cant say nothing about it. 

The Roots is Def one of the better albums of this year, and maybe of their careers.

But Trust me 5 years from now...."KRIT wuz here" would be remembered as a classic....I Guarantee it

Me an avid east-coast, straight underground raw hip-hop head...Relates to this album to the fullest..

But to each its own....I myself consider it a classic.

I think "The Black Album" & "American Gangster" are both classics. Neither is better than the other IMHO.

I think "The Black Album" & "American Gangster" are both classics. Neither is better than the other IMHO.

Originally Posted by Chadleroy

ya'll kill me with this...how is an album classic when you haven't even justified it's replay value yet?

So true.  There have been very few true "classics" mentioned in this thread.  

Originally Posted by Chadleroy

ya'll kill me with this...how is an album classic when you haven't even justified it's replay value yet?

So true.  There have been very few true "classics" mentioned in this thread.  

Blueprint 3 could be in the running if we look at how Hip-Hop is changing so much. It could very well be more relevant as time passes.

And IDGAF what anyone says. If you REALLY and TRULY listen to "K.R.I.T. Wuz Here" you would recognize it was an instant classic. So Far Gone doesn't hold a LIGHT to that album.

Blueprint 3 could be in the running if we look at how Hip-Hop is changing so much. It could very well be more relevant as time passes.

And IDGAF what anyone says. If you REALLY and TRULY listen to "K.R.I.T. Wuz Here" you would recognize it was an instant classic. So Far Gone doesn't hold a LIGHT to that album.

i4r968.jpg

Yea within a week of listening to "KRIT Wuz here" I was ready to place it wit the likes of Ball n G's Coming Out Hard, UGK n Outkast best works etc etc....the kid album is that great

ppl that didnt listen to or appreciate his influences wouldnt understand the greatness of that album both lyrically and from a production stand point...the guy is only 23, album sound like it could have came out anywhere from 92-97..."KRIT Wuz here" has had the most replay value for me this year...calling it a classic aint far fetched at all

standing by AG being a classic, Distant Relatives is great but I cant play that album at all times or with ppl...Untitled is better to me personally

Yea within a week of listening to "KRIT Wuz here" I was ready to place it wit the likes of Ball n G's Coming Out Hard, UGK n Outkast best works etc etc....the kid album is that great

ppl that didnt listen to or appreciate his influences wouldnt understand the greatness of that album both lyrically and from a production stand point...the guy is only 23, album sound like it could have came out anywhere from 92-97..."KRIT Wuz here" has had the most replay value for me this year...calling it a classic aint far fetched at all

standing by AG being a classic, Distant Relatives is great but I cant play that album at all times or with ppl...Untitled is better to me personally

Definitely Food & Liquor.There's been a lot of incredible albums ever since though;

Big Boi: Sir Luscious Left Foot
The Cool
Untitled
Man on the Moon

just to name a few.

Definitely Food & Liquor.There's been a lot of incredible albums ever since though;

Big Boi: Sir Luscious Left Foot
The Cool
Untitled
Man on the Moon

just to name a few.

Originally Posted by Chrispcb15

Com' on son....I mess with Slum village heavy...but that album wasnt trash....but it wasnt good..it was okay....
grin.gif
laugh.gif

and I haven't heard rhymefest's cuz he doesn't interest me at all with that lisp.....Ive yet to hear Big boi album...so I cant say nothing about it. 

grin.gif
To each his own.
The Roots is Def one of the better albums of this year, and maybe of their careers.
But Trust me 5 years from now...."KRIT wuz here" would be remembered as a classic....I Guarantee it

Me an avid east-coast, straight underground raw hip-hop head...Relates to this album to the fullest..

I've played that joint a total of 4 times I think, maybe 5 and the album did not make me want constantly play it more and more like the aforementioned albums and of course Distant Relatives. Even Em's Recovery has actually grown on me since.

Krit's album had good production and lyrically he cool but I can't rate this album anything higher than solid-good-really good. Classic? I think ppl just throw that word out there when they just really like an album now or just do it due to blind stanism. KRIT Wuz Here definitely doesn't stand up shoulder to shoulder to other hip hop classics.
Originally Posted by IKnowRap

For real? 8Ball & MJG's best work? Outkast's best work? I simply do not see it. That's pretty outlandish to me.

Exactly what are his influences? Just so I could be aware of the rappers that I don't listen to that he has.
Distant Relatives is great but I cant play that album at all times or with ppl...Untitled is better to me personally
In my eyes they're both classics in different ways.
Originally Posted by OptimusPrimeAPhiA

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Why would you compare So Far Gone, a rap and R&B mashup to Krit's album? I have to ignore the "really and truly" listening to the album part.

Originally Posted by Chrispcb15

grin.gif
laugh.gif

grin.gif
To each his own.

I've played that joint a total of 4 times I think, maybe 5 and the album did not make me want constantly play it more and more like the aforementioned albums and of course Distant Relatives. Even Em's Recovery has actually grown on me since.

Krit's album had good production and lyrically he cool but I can't rate this album anything higher than solid-good-really good. Classic? I think ppl just throw that word out there when they just really like an album now or just do it due to blind stanism. KRIT Wuz Here definitely doesn't stand up shoulder to shoulder to other hip hop classics.
Originally Posted by IKnowRap

For real? 8Ball & MJG's best work? Outkast's best work? I simply do not see it. That's pretty outlandish to me.

Exactly what are his influences? Just so I could be aware of the rappers that I don't listen to that he has.
Distant Relatives is great but I cant play that album at all times or with ppl...Untitled is better to me personally
In my eyes they're both classics in different ways.
Originally Posted by OptimusPrimeAPhiA

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Why would you compare So Far Gone, a rap and R&B mashup to Krit's album? I have to ignore the "really and truly" listening to the album part.

^Zik When I mention Outkast in relation to Krit issh i aint talking bout where they just pushed the envelope and came out wit sum issh we aint never fathomed...more like they first 2 joints

i mean that still cud be a reach but...it just got that same feel to it...but ball n g, ugk...yeah i feel like it holds its own to those...not better or anything but i can play it in a mix of their albums and not feel like the quality dimensioned...Zik i think u said u digged the album before so I dont doubt where u coming from....but the cats acting like dude aint craft sumtin above average are the ones i figure aint heard the stuff similar that came before it

i wud call krit wuz here a personal classic for me at this point, i dont have no problems wit it....where do u think it falls short of being an outright one, besides the obvious, it being so fresh n not tested by time?

^Zik When I mention Outkast in relation to Krit issh i aint talking bout where they just pushed the envelope and came out wit sum issh we aint never fathomed...more like they first 2 joints

i mean that still cud be a reach but...it just got that same feel to it...but ball n g, ugk...yeah i feel like it holds its own to those...not better or anything but i can play it in a mix of their albums and not feel like the quality dimensioned...Zik i think u said u digged the album before so I dont doubt where u coming from....but the cats acting like dude aint craft sumtin above average are the ones i figure aint heard the stuff similar that came before it

i wud call krit wuz here a personal classic for me at this point, i dont have no problems wit it....where do u think it falls short of being an outright one, besides the obvious, it being so fresh n not tested by time?

I feel where you coming from. It was just that so far I was the only one to say I don't think it's classic then I'm seeing all these posts talking about really listen to it and influences so I had to double take on that.

The album is good but first listen aint give me the
eek.gif
reaction and multiple listens didn't give me the feel dude dropped a classic. If it's a personal classic, that's cool cuz in that area it's strictly opinion.

I feel where you coming from. It was just that so far I was the only one to say I don't think it's classic then I'm seeing all these posts talking about really listen to it and influences so I had to double take on that.

The album is good but first listen aint give me the
eek.gif
reaction and multiple listens didn't give me the feel dude dropped a classic. If it's a personal classic, that's cool cuz in that area it's strictly opinion.

Back
Top Bottom