What was the last ICONIC beat in hip-hop? Something that will be bumped 15/20 years from now...

Has 99 Problems been mentioned yet? 
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by i LyricaLJKilla i

Why hasn't this Cole World character fallen off the face of the planet yet?

I didn't drop out of college... so I learned about gravity and the atmosphere and that sort of %!+#.

Hope that helps.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by OneTrust

Iconic beat?  It's GOTTA go to one of those  "EPIC" J Cole beats.  It'll definitely be bumped 15/20 years from now by all those folks who are having trouble sleeping.  That would put you to sleep T.I.P ASAP!

But you said The Game is a top 5 rapper. Didn't you have him at the top of your list?
roll.gif

Originally Posted by SenorRoboto2k5

A lot of this isn't iconic. They're huge songs that will be around for years, but not at a truly iconic status. Like people will still bump "Still D.R.E." till the end of time, and it'll probably be used in a movie or two within the next ten years. But right now it's not iconic or anything. "Power" is a great sports song, but it has a ways to go before being considered iconic.

Iconic is being used in sports and movie montages, commercials, and/or general theme music fairly regularly; and being instantly recognizable to the general public.

Yep. Most are listing great beats, only cause they're avid hip-hop listeners. The random 55 y.o. has never heard any of this stuff.  Imo it has to used in a movie or TV show to reach that level. Off top the only or most recent beat to get there was Shimmy Shimmy Ya in Knocked Up. And I'm talking about movies that can appeal to everyone. Not some +%%% like a dance movie or 8 Mile. They have specific audiences. here

Originally Posted by krazy88s

Originally Posted by SenorRoboto2k5

A lot of this isn't iconic. They're huge songs that will be around for years, but not at a truly iconic status. Like people will still bump "Still D.R.E." till the end of time, and it'll probably be used in a movie or two within the next ten years. But right now it's not iconic or anything. "Power" is a great sports song, but it has a ways to go before being considered iconic.

Iconic is being used in sports and movie montages, commercials, and/or general theme music fairly regularly; and being instantly recognizable to the general public.

Yep. Most are listing great beats, only cause they're avid hip-hop listeners. The random 55 y.o. has never heard any of this stuff.  Imo it has to used in a movie or TV show to reach that level. Off top the only or most recent beat to get there was Shimmy Shimmy Ya in Knocked Up. And I'm talking about movies that can appeal to everyone. Not some +%%% like a dance movie or 8 Mile. They have specific audiences. here
Wait...you don't think "Lose Yourself"  beat is iconic?  Just my opinion, but I think the Lose Yourself beat is better known than Heart of the City.  Both are great tho.

I put Grindin' up there w. Shook Ones. 

U right. Lose Yourself is up there with Chrysler commercial and Super bowl ads and such. I'll add Drop It like Its Hot there too. Dont know about the rest.

Originally Posted by tyisny

- In Da club will forever be used
- Empire state Of mind
- Power (maybe)

take power out and put any song from dr dre's 2001 album 
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

You guys aren't understanding the word "iconic". An icon is a representation for everyone to see. A beat that is known pretty much universally in the media, that represents hip-hop.

The best one in this thread was Lose Yourself.

"Classic" is different. "Grindin," "Still DRE," "In Da Club," and stuff like that are considered classic. Iconic is on a whole 'nother level.

Only ones i see worth keepin from this thread that fit the criteria...in my mind

Group A:
99 problems 2003
Lose yourself 2002

Group B:
Drop it like its hot 2004
In da club 2003

Lose Yourself? No.

Iconic BEAT...not song.

Plus, I would put Lose Yourself in the "What you know" category--meaning, it was a popular song that was featured in a movie and a lot of commercials. It was pushed out there.

Originally Posted by KevTav

Surprised nobody has mentioned this. 1995
eek.gif
Read.

What about "Run This Town"?

I only mention it cause it's been used in a lot of movie trailers and TV series commercials. I remember it got me so hyped for the last season of 24
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom