What was your starting salary/wage straight out of college? vol. realistic

hey blazen, my friend is a computer science major at the University of Pennsylvania and he just landed a job with Google. He is graduating this June with a BSin Computer Engineering.

chagocal wrote:
omgitswes wrote:
Originally Posted by ThrowedInDaGame

Kakashi wrote:
Originally Posted by JustScoreda100

Kakashi wrote:
Originally Posted by presequel

Kakashi wrote:
20K to 30K TOPS!!!!...anymore than that they're lying.
indifferent.gif
roll.gif
http://www.bls.gov/OCO/

let's end the speculation and suspense
indifferent.gif

you dudes do not live in a real world....let alone ever attempted to.
smh.gif

more than 30K with a ba first year?....he sells drugs otherwise it's not happening

vol. realistic

nah son, not every one majors in some sort of business field or graduates with no experience. Pick the right field and get enough experience and you can see stacks.

lol...ba means "bachelor" degree,

like is said 20-30K tops
roll.gif

I've never heard of an Engineer who made 20-30K starting
indifferent.gif

Per your own link http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos027.htm#earnings

Average starting salary offers for graduates of bachelor's degree programs in engineering, according to a July 2009 survey by the National Association of Colleges and Employers, were as follows:
[table][tr][td]Petroleum[/td] [td]$83,121[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Chemical[/td] [td]64,902[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Mining and Mineral[/td] [td]64,404[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Computer[/td] [td]61,738[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Nuclear[/td] [td]61,610[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Electrical/electronics and communications[/td] [td]60,125[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Mechanical[/td] [td]58,766[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Industrial/manufacturing[/td] [td]58,358[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Materials[/td] [td]57,349[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Aerospace/aeronautical/astronautical[/td] [td]56,311[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Agricultural[/td] [td]54,352[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Bioengineering and biomedical[/td] [td]54,158[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Civil[/td] [td]52,048[/td] [/tr][/table]

How you get corrected by your own source though?
20-30k? No engineering majors are studying on Friday/Saturday nights to earn a damn 30k
laugh.gif

60k right out of school? what's the point in getting a masters then?

A masters will get you to 100G's or past that, thats why.

All the professional working engineers that I have talked to say don't bother with a masters. Buddies that I have that got their masters made about anextra 10k starting putting them in the 88k range. Over 100k is pushing it a little, especially straight out of school, no company is going to pay that much fora green engineer. My main goal is to get my PE certificate over masters in engineering, after that I will go back for an MBA (my employer will pay for it aswell). And in your case, if your employer is going to pay for it, then you cannot go wrong and it will only help your career and marketability. More power toyou.

I work with a a couple USC mech engineer majors at the moment, you'd be surprised at what they make(less than you'd think)

i was a GS-7 as an intern with a GS-10 offer out of school that had me at a GS-13 in two years. all at STEP 4 which they told me was for a specific reason buti truly cant remember.

GS-7-36K
GS-10-49K
GS-13-77k

i ended up staying in school and switching my major to film studies because that is where my heart is.

Originally Posted by swizzc

Major: Finance
Im in my first year of work right now
Base Salary: 60k
Signing Bonus: 8k
End of Year Bonus: Between 20-30k depending on performance
My official title is "Investment Banking Analyst"

Are you in a bulge bracket or boutique? I thought they raised BB base salary to 70k across the street.

Pharmacist - around $110 Gs my first year a few years back

i dont eat hardly anything at all and I can spend $75 a week easy at the grocery store. maybe if you live off ramen from costco and tap water.

Originally Posted by Kakashi

Originally Posted by JustScoreda100

Originally Posted by presequel

20K to 30K TOPS!!!!...anymore than that they're lying.
indifferent.gif
roll.gif
http://www.bls.gov/OCO/

let's end the speculation and suspense
indifferent.gif

you dudes do not live in a real world....let alone ever attempted to.
smh.gif

more than 30K with a ba first year?....he sells drugs otherwise it's not happening

vol. realistic

nah son, not every one majors in some sort of business field or graduates with no experience. Pick the right field and get enough experience and you can see stacks.

lol...ba means "bachelor" degree,

like is said 20-30K tops
roll.gif

I've never heard of an Engineer who made 20-30K starting
indifferent.gif

Per your own link http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos027.htm#earnings

Average starting salary offers for graduates of bachelor's degree programs in engineering, according to a July 2009 survey by the National Association of Colleges and Employers, were as follows:
[table][tr][td]Petroleum[/td] [td]$83,121[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Chemical[/td] [td]64,902[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Mining and Mineral[/td] [td]64,404[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Computer[/td] [td]61,738[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Nuclear[/td] [td]61,610[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Electrical/electronics and communications[/td] [td]60,125[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Mechanical[/td] [td]58,766[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Industrial/manufacturing[/td] [td]58,358[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Materials[/td] [td]57,349[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Aerospace/aeronautical/astronautical[/td] [td]56,311[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Agricultural[/td] [td]54,352[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Bioengineering and biomedical[/td] [td]54,158[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Civil[/td] [td]52,048[/td] [/tr][/table]

How you get corrected by your own source though?
20-30k? No engineering majors are studying on Friday/Saturday nights to earn a damn 30k
laugh.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
Got 'em! I'll be starting at an accounting firm around mid 50's in Chicago. 20-30??? I didn't go to college to make what a fastfood chain night assistant manager makes.

Originally Posted by swizzc

Major: Finance
Im in my first year of work right now
Base Salary: 60k
Signing Bonus: 8k
End of Year Bonus: Between 20-30k depending on performance
My official title is "Investment Banking Analyst"

Are you in a bulge bracket or boutique? I thought they raised BB base salary to 70k across the street.
They did...base at bulge bracket banks are all 70k base, 10 signing bonus...extra bonus at certain banks if u signed early from summerinternships...

Originally Posted by bijald0331

This dude is saying live comfortably
roll.gif

Comfortably is synonymous with below average I guess.
Naw, it means financial freedom and having emergency money in the bank.

yo stop ripping on the dude that spends 75/month on groceries. its POSSIBLE. hes not eating like his dog is chef ramsey or anything, but hes gettin by. i dontknow why everybodys making this into such a big deal. its not like he said he spends $8 bucks or smth. 20 a week on groceries is completely possible, you justwont be eating as well as somebody dropping 250/month plus im assuming he makes most of his meals. if anything, thats admirable. good job man and dont listento these haters

who's hating?

son is eating top ramon and canned tuna

talkin bout he livin' comfy

who you foolin'
laugh.gif

glad this thread came up because i was about to create one :-/

Just graduated from University of Illinois at Chicago

Degree: Information Decision Sciences with a minor in Management Information Systems

Current Job: Help Desk I
Pay: $17 an hour 9-5 job
waiting for them to offer me a full time job... supposedly I'm getting an offer tomorrow. I've been working with this company while doing my last 2years of college.

offered by another company:
30k a year with 6 month performance review
includes future schooling paid for, and any certifications i take. opportunity for advancement is high. (hoping to become a systems admin)

I'm pretty bummed out about how little there is to be made right now. I don't think the job market is that good... no good offers and they'rekilling with what they offer as salary. You guys must really know people to be getting paid. Was hoping to start off at least 40k but dunno if that's goingto happen.

Originally Posted by philly035

glad this thread came up because i was about to create one :-/

Just graduated from University of Illinois at Chicago

Degree: Information Decision Sciences with a minor in Management Information Systems

Current Job: Help Desk I
Pay: $17 an hour 9-5 job
waiting for them to offer me a full time job... supposedly I'm getting an offer tomorrow. I've been working with this company while doing my last 2 years of college.

offered by another company:
30k a year with 6 month performance review
includes future schooling paid for, and any certifications i take. opportunity for advancement is high. (hoping to become a systems admin)

I'm pretty bummed out about how little there is to be made right now. I don't think the job market is that good... no good offers and they're killing with what they offer as salary. You guys must really know people to be getting paid. Was hoping to start off at least 40k but dunno if that's going to happen.
Better get that experience bro.

Back
Top Bottom