What would a player have to do to be considered greater than Jordan?

Eclipse his combination of rings, stats and awards while playing a type of basketball that is fun to watch enough to make him bigger than basketball, essentially a popular culture icon.

Originally Posted by blacklion23

There's nothing a player can do to be considered greater than Jordan.

In terms of the overall public opinion, basically.  Also - I think it's harder for a player to be awarded the MVP award nowadays (multiple times).  I just don't see it happening.

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

- 6 Finals appearance, 6 Finals wins, 6 Finals MVPs
- Defensive Player of the Year
- 10 scoring titles
- 5 MVPs
- 2 gold medals
- average more points in the playoffs than the regular season

Looking at this, I don't NOBODY is touching that. Jordan is the GOAT period. Not to mention he win a Chip at UNC.

In my eyes?

Simple, consistently produce more than Jordan does in the regular season and playoffs while also improving the performance of your teammates as a whole, relative to the era of basketball you play in.

Awards? Doesn't matter to me I consider a lot of the people who vote on those things to be worthless lot of idiots. Plus if you are that good, you will get your fair share of the awards anyways but you don't have too.

Championships? Again you don't have to pass him because this to me is a question of individuals not teams, and as you know TEAMS win championships.    

In the eyes of the world, nothing? Jordan is a myth at this point a collection of legends and stories, you pass that.

Osh Kosh Bosh wrote:

Championships? Again you don't have to pass him because this to me is a question of individuals not teams, and as you know TEAMS win championships.    

it's different for basketball. one person really can be a whole team. just look at the scrubs lebron and AI took to the finals. one superstar and role players can win you a chip.

and in my eyes nothing can touch jordan. he played with the best of the best and dominated in a large city that didn't win before him.

if lebron wins 7 for the knicks, the media and popular opinion may twist it into bron being better than jordan. that's the only person and situation i can see coming close

Originally Posted by Stoker55

Originally Posted by bijald0331

7 finals MVP's.

this.

and dominate both ends of the floor.

but in all honesty there is so much that goes into jordan's legacy that i doubt could be re-duplicated.

-endless game winning shots.  (can be done)
-3 titles in succession to a team with no previous championships.(can be done..)
-retiring and his team struggling without him. only to then come back and win 3 more rings in succesion. (can be done)
-scoring titles. (can be done)
-creating the "air jordan" brand and globalizing the game.
-ending his career as a bull with a game winner to seal his 6th championship.(can be done)
-win a championship with bill wennington as your starting center (can't be done)

jordan has only been to 6 finals how the heck is he gonna have 7 finals MVPs
laugh.gif

back to the thread mj has a heck of a resume and no doubt about it but id say kareem and bill are all pretty debatable with mike    

Originally Posted by doyung9

The 6 for 6 in the finals speaks the loudest for me. Kobe and LeBron have already blown that, so in my opinion, the body of work is going to take alot to catch Jordan. What's amazing is that he did so much, in so little time. (84-85 through 97-98, injured in 85-86, with 93-94 off completely and 94-95 in half, we won't even talk about the Wizards days
laugh.gif
) In reality, only 11 full seasons.

Dude was the ultimate competitor, the ultimate winner. You look at LeBron, and you can tell, sometimes dude just takes nights off. And I don't think I'll ever be able to look at Kobe the same after he let Boston beat them by THIRTY to win the title.

His resume' is so solid, passing him in one or two achievements isn't even gonna get you in line to the club, much less in the door.
Co-signs

Originally Posted by DubA169

Osh Kosh Bosh wrote:

it's different for basketball. one person really can be a whole team. just look at the scrubs lebron and AI took to the finals. one superstar and role players can win you a chip.

and in my eyes nothing can touch jordan. he played with the best of the best and dominated in a large city that didn't win before him.

if lebron wins 7 for the knicks, the media and popular opinion may twist it into bron being better than jordan. that's the only person and situation i can see coming close

Micheal Jordan played beside one of the 50 greatest player in NBA history, NOBODY does it by themselves.

Dunk over 8 men ..

But really i don't know because that would mean the person would have to change all aspects of 'the game' and take it to the next level
as mike did

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

Originally Posted by DubA169

Osh Kosh Bosh wrote:

Micheal Jordan played beside one of the 50 greatest player in NBA history, NOBODY does it by themselves.

but you have to admit theres something different about basketball. you can be the greatest baseball or football player (besides a QB), but never even make it to the championship because the emphasis is on team not the individual

you can't be considered one of the greatest basketball players without at least making it to the finals. b ball is the one sport where you can carry a team to the chip. maybe you can't win it alone, but you can certainly make it to the championship alone

I'm so glad this thread was made, this is where we truly seperate the boys from the men, and with that being said there is NOBODY that is or will be considered better than Jordan.  I just don't see it happening for many reasons.  Simply put regarding Jordan as the wrestler Bret Hart would say........"he's the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be"

Hes the blueprint to everything, from his game to the marketing aspect.
So many intangibles and the first at many things

Exactly.

But right NOW, no one is anywhere CLOSE to playing against their peers and building a resume that sniffs the resume Jordan built against his, and the less complicated version of that statement is simply that right NOW no one is anywhere CLOSE to Jordan.

No, Kobe fans. No. 4-2 in the Finals w/ 1 Finals MVP, 2 scoring titles, 12 All Stars, 1 regular MVP... that is nowhere CLOSE to the resume I listed above. Is it closer than anyone else playing today? Yes, in my opinion... but Duncan (ROTY, 12 ASGs, 4-0 in the Finals w/ 3 Finals MVPs, 2 reg. MVPs, 8 All Defense 1st Teams) and Shaq (ROTY, 15 ASGs, 4-2 in the Finals w/ 3 Finals MVPs, 1 reg. MVP).
100% Truth.

Originally Posted by Stoker55

Originally Posted by bijald0331

7 finals MVP's.

this.

and dominate both ends of the floor.

but in all honesty there is so much that goes into jordan's legacy that i doubt could be re-duplicated.

-endless game winning shots.  (can be done)
-3 titles in succession to a team with no previous championships.(can be done..)
-retiring and his team struggling without him. only to then come back and win 3 more rings in succesion. (can be done)
-scoring titles. (can be done)
-creating the "air jordan" brand and globalizing the game.
-ending his career as a bull with a game winner to seal his 6th championship.(can be done)
-win a championship with bill wennington as your starting center (can't be done)

The year Jordan didn't play Pippen help lead the Bulls to the ECF only to lose because of a questionable call.
If a team goes to the ECF i don't think they struggled.

Originally Posted by CadillacFLOW

- 10 scoring titles

- 5 MVPs

- 2 gold medals

Looking at this, I don't NOBODY is touching that. Jordan is the GOAT period. Not to mention he win a Chip at UNC.

Kareem's career resume is greater than that:

6 time champ
6 time MVP
2 time Finals MVP
10 time all-NBA 1st team
5 time all-NBA 2nd team
19 time all-star
All-time scoring leader, 4th in rebounds, 3rd in blocks

Not to mention Kareem won 3 chips at UCLA.

It doesn't matter what era you're in; if you're dominant to the tune of 6-for-6 in the Finals w/ 6 Finals MVPs, 10 (I think) all defense 1st teams, 2 gold medals, 5 MVPs, 10 scoring titles, DPOY, and you averaged more points in the playoffs than in the regular season, it doesn't matter what era you're in, you're on Jordan's level.

All you can do is play against your peers, and if you play against your peers and grab like 8 Finals MVPs and championships and a couple DPOYs and 8 or 9 scoring titles and a gold medal, you're on Jordan's level. Period. I would definitely have no problem looking at the rest of your body of work to maybe argue that you're better than Jordan.

But right NOW, no one is anywhere CLOSE to playing against their peers and building a resume that sniffs the resume Jordan built against his, and the less complicated version of that statement is simply that right NOW no one is anywhere CLOSE to Jordan.

No, Kobe fans. No. 4-2 in the Finals w/ 1 Finals MVP, 2 scoring titles, 12 All Stars, 1 regular MVP... that is nowhere CLOSE to the resume I listed above. Is it closer than anyone else playing today? Yes, in my opinion... but Duncan (ROTY, 12 ASGs, 4-0 in the Finals w/ 3 Finals MVPs, 2 reg. MVPs, 8 All Defense 1st Teams) and Shaq (ROTY, 15 ASGs, 4-2 in the Finals w/ 3 Finals MVPs, 1 reg. MVP) might disagree with me.

This was RIGHT ON POINT!  Perfectly said.

It doesn't matter what era you're in; if you're dominant to the tune of 6-for-6 in the Finals w/ 6 Finals MVPs, 10 (I think) all defense 1st teams, 2 gold medals, 5 MVPs, 10 scoring titles, DPOY, and you averaged more points in the playoffs than in the regular season, it doesn't matter what era you're in, you're on Jordan's level.

All you can do is play against your peers, and if you play against your peers and grab like 8 Finals MVPs and championships and a couple DPOYs and 8 or 9 scoring titles and a gold medal, you're on Jordan's level. Period. I would definitely have no problem looking at the rest of your body of work to maybe argue that you're better than Jordan.

No, Kobe fans. No. 4-2 in the Finals w/ 1 Finals MVP, 2 scoring titles, 12 All Stars, 1 regular MVP... that is nowhere CLOSE to the resume I listed above. Is it closer than anyone else playing today? Yes, in my opinion... but Duncan (ROTY, 12 ASGs, 4-0 in the Finals w/ 3 Finals MVPs, 2 reg. MVPs, 8 All Defense 1st Teams) and Shaq (ROTY, 15 ASGs, 4-2 in the Finals w/ 3 Finals MVPs, 1 reg. MVP) might disagree with me.

This was RIGHT ON POINT!  Perfectly said.

It is impossible to beat his stats. Athletes get better as the years go on and the nba is more competitive than ever. So many athletic people in the nba.

Originally Posted by Xtapolapacetl

Originally Posted by CadillacFLOW

- 10 scoring titles

- 5 MVPs

- 2 gold medals

6 time champ
6 time MVP
2 time Finals MVP
10 time all-NBA 1st team
5 time all-NBA 2nd team
19 time all-star

true that...i dont think a lot people dont realize kareems resume as well...kareem also had a signature basketball move that will forever be connected to #33 and pop culture wise he is up there with mike maybe not as globalized as mj was but very close

6 time champ
6 time MVP
2 time Finals MVP
10 time all-NBA 1st team
5 time all-NBA 2nd team
19 time all-star

Yea, and don't forget the 4 Finals LOSSES! Not to mention being swept 2 times in the Finals and losing a Game 7 in the Finals on his homecourt!

It's like saying who can be better than Tiger, or Ali, or Gretzky, etc.

Nobody.

lol @ kareem

yes kareem has a great resume but he aint even top 5

how you gonna compare him to jordan?

1.jordan
2.wilt
3.russell
4.magic
5.bird

6.kareem

jordan was hands down the best player in the league every year he played for the bulls (except for maybe his first 1-2 years)

realistically he should have won the mvp every year he played a full season in the 90's

and the only reason he didnt win every year in the 80's was because bird and magic were winning more games than him.

and who else is gonna go down as the best scorer and defender of all time?

look at where he ranks on the all time steals list and points per game

dude was dominating on both ends of the court

Back
Top Bottom