What would you do if you found $88 billion in your bank account?

When Paul Fischer checked his bank account Friday night, he had a happy surprise. His balance had exploded to $88,888,888,888.88. A very lucky number indeed, and close to $89 billion.

Of course, the balance was a technical error by SunTrust Bank (NYSE: STI - News), which quickly fixed the problem. It also may have occurred in other accounts.

"You say, 'Eighty-eight billion, what can I do with that?'" said Mr. Fischer, who owns a jewelry concessionaire for Florida theme parks. "Maybe a handful of us could have brought down SunTrust Bank."
[table][tr][td]More from WSJ.com:

You Can Buy This 220-Foot Yacht for $1 (or More)

Ranks of Rich Earners Declined 5% in 2008

Tin-Can Collector Died a Millionaire[/td][/tr][/table]

Mr. Fischer had other ideas as well. Before the problem was fixed, he asked a SunTrust rep if he could move the money to an interest-bearing account until it was reclaimed and donate the interest to charity. Total interest: more than $7.3 million.

The bank said no.

The money was stripped out of his account by Saturday morning.

"It's all gone. I'm poor again," he said. "I was a billionaire for five hours."

This kind of bank error happens frequently. But Mr. Fischer raises an interesting question: What if, for five hours, you truly did have $89 billion?

What would you do with the money? The ground rules are that you would have to give the money back — and whatever you bought or invested with it — after five hours.

http://finance.yahoo.com/banking-budgeting/article/109237/if-you-were-billionaire-for-five-hours

laugh.gif
i buy any and everything i could when they find out wat happened and fix it ill close the account and sell as much of the stuff i could for cash and when they come to sue i have nothing but cash left and ill tell them im broke
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

interest is crazy when you have that much money.

winning just $4 million for a lotter, saving just half that, you are good for life.. but many are broke by year 7

ill buy google..facebook..twitter and youtube.

then play with peoples emotions.

word to big worm!

Originally Posted by WallyHopp

interest is crazy when you have that much money.

winning just $4 million for a lotter(y)*, saving just half that, you are good for life.. but many are broke by year 7
[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]In what country do you live in?[/color]

Generation Y (ages 18 to 26) needs to save at least $2 million, according to 77% of advisers. Forty percent put the figure at $3 million.

Nearly half of advisers (46%) said Generation X (ages 27 to 42) should at least double the $1 million goal. Twenty-two percent suggested more than $3 million.

For Boomers (ages 43 to 64), 35% recommended $2 million to $3 million. Thirty percent suggested $1.5 million to $2 million.

http://finance.yahoo.com/focus-reti...it-for-retirement?mod=fidelity-buildingwealth

I'd do what dude said..I'd withdraw as much as I can, then when they go to try and take it say its all gone. It will be converted to cash so they'll never know

i'd purchase this yacht for 27mil. and then hold the 2010 NT MIAMI BEACH SUMMER SUMMIT, then i'd push my way over to Galveston for the after summit.  then i'd let the bank have their boat back 'cause i'm pretty sure i'd be on their most wanted list by then.

...and if any NTers get lucky or if certain NTers feel like comparing junk sizes *cough yungcheesy and eracism *cough, there's a magic room.

i'd call it the SS-YNS.

This is whats #@!%$% up about the digital age of money. A bank can manually enter how much money you have and cause inflation....I bet you Bill Gates' net worth exceeds the actuall physical cash flow in rotation.

If I had that money I'd buy a few nice boats/yachts for my fishing hobby. A few nice trucks for me to go hunting. A moderate $1 million home. Save $20 million for myself. All current NT members won't have to work another day and the rest of the money will go to charity, family, friends.

transfer that amount to some account in switzerland and go to some minimum security prison for a decade or two only to reclaim it after that stint

Originally Posted by kingkb34

Originally Posted by Kicktionair

Nothing......

Banks are crooks
Agreed. You should be able to take advantage of an error on their part.
yup, you are totally not stealing from other bank account holders.
its the banks gift to you.

Buying stocks into Warren Buffets company. And yea 1 costs 10k so you do the math. I'd say 9/10 of that money is going into investing in it.

Back
Top Bottom