What would you do: iPhone???

I have lived in the dark ages for the past 3 years (and loved it) and had a non-smart phone... Love the low bills and not having to live on my smartphone all day but the phones are falling apart and its time to get back into the 2000's... Looking to get an iPhone and thats it.... Dont care if people want to suggest other phones but the iPhone will be purchased... The dilema is, do I get the 5 right now or get a 4 for $.99 and then trade up when the 5s comes out??? Obviously would have to pay for it, but for a couple of months I dont want to pay $200 for a phone that will drop in price in that time... Just wondering what might be the best idea.

They all do pretty much the same thing. Just get the 4, since you'll be using it bare bones.

if u wanna wait until 5s drops, then do that.

But 5 and 5s wont be that much different, except the specs.

5 > 4s

if u need a new phone right now, then just get the 5. I dont know how the trade in works for your service, but verizon doesnt have that. You can prolly sell the 5 on ebay or craigslist for like 350 and use that money towards the 5s if it bothers u that much. But u would be spending a lot more money

- $200 with contract - 5

+ $350 - selling the 5

- $700 - buy 5s off contract

u would be spending $550 in the end for the 5s

Just remember the hype train that comes with a iphone release if your leaning towards the 5s.

the 5 is better than 4...i have the 5 and its thinner, lighter, faster and more aesthetic than the 4. trust me

the 5 is better than 4...i have the 5 and its thinner, lighter, faster and more aesthetic than the 4. trust me

Yeah, but is that worth the money to you?

OP basically said he intends to use it for bare minimum. Why would he pay all that extra money for that?

Ask yourself this OP, do you really need it to be a little lighter, and more aesthetically pleasing, and maybe a little faster?

Or do you want to save money and get a phone that does pretty much all of the same things, and may be a tad slower, and by a tad i mean barely anything at all.

IMO: saving money > having the latest greatest

Last edited:

OP basically said he intends to use it for bare minimum. Why would he pay all that extra money for that?

Ask yourself this OP, do you really need it to be a little lighter, and more aesthetically pleasing, and maybe a little faster?

Or do you want to save money and get a phone that does pretty much all of the same things, and may be a tad slower, and by a tad i mean barely anything at all.

Thats where I am leaning right now... I am not going to bog it down with apps and games... Probably email for business, check some websites and upload my itunes library... I like the shiny new toy but outside of impressing people with what I am talking on, I cant see a huge reason for spending the dough

there's a slight difference between the 4 and 5. if you want the bare necessities of having the internet, apps, music and movies in your hands then grab the 4. if u want 4g, slightly better specs or the longer screen go 5.

Thats where I am leaning right now... I am not going to bog it down with apps and games... Probably email for business, check some websites and upload my itunes library... I like the shiny new toy but outside of impressing people with what I am talking on, I cant see a huge reason for spending the dough
that's what u say now, but once u buy the 4 and u use your friend's 5, then you're gonna want the 5.

if ur gonna use it for the bare minimum and u dont want to spend money, then get a free smart phone.

that's what u say now, but once u buy the 4 and u use your friend's 5, then you're gonna want the 5.
if ur gonna use it for the bare minimum and u dont want to spend money, then get a free smart phone.

99 cents is essentially free. 3G should be good for this dude who's been without a smartphone for years. But if you do use data extensively, the upgrade for LTE would be worth it.

i had a 4 and upgraded to the 5 and to me it was a big difference. the 5 is lighter, thinner, and faster you cant go wrong with it

So taking the 5 out of the equation would it be much of an upgrade from 4 to 4s for that hundo???

why would you invest in old technology

I'm not tied into it like it is an extra arm or something... I work a computer designing cad/cam files all day... I stream while i work... I have 2 daughters under 3... When I get home I hang with the fam... Put them to bed... Watch a few shows on dvr and netflix... Go to bed.... Rinse and repeat... I hate seeing people on their phones while their kids are running around... Im turning 30 and have much more on my plate than playing angry birds or words with friends... Im up on technology and understand the faster processors and all that fun stuff but I wanted to pick the brains of fellow NTers that use them on the daily

And, my friends and I dont sit around and discuss our phones or play with eachothers... I am a father and we sit around, whine about our wives and mortgages and drink beer and booze...Its not for everybody but I enjoy it.., so that hypothetical is crossed off.

I appreciate all the info though... Keep it coming

Last edited:
^now that's not worth the extra $100.

Same phone with Siri and a slightly better processor that's much weaker than the 5.

i thoguht u meant 4s for $99 the whole time.

if u dont really care about technology and u just want the basics, then go for the 4 if it's only 99 cents

i thoguht u meant 4s for $99 the whole time.

if u dont really care about technology and u just want the basics, then go for the 4 if it's only 99 cents

All were on the table at the start of the convo... But it seems like if I am going to spend money, mind as well go all the way now... Im going to go around and see about my options at all the carriers and best buy to see what I can swing

Back
Top Bottom