What's good Honolulu, HI?

Heading to Honolulu in about a week for a much needed vacay. Second time in Hawaii, first time going to the capital. Gonna spend five full days with wifey and no kids :smokin

Not sure if many NTers live or have been to Honolulu but the advice I got in here for LA was so proper I had to ask my NT brethren for the inside scoop again.

So let me know NT...must do's...don't do's...

Don't spend too much time in Waikiki, drive around and explore the island!

Check out North Shore
Koko Head stairs
Pillbox hike at Lanakai Beach

Eats:
Side street inn
Alan Wong's - for a fancy, expensive dinner (if in the budget)
Marukame Udon (Not a huge fan, but my friends all swear by this spot)
Boots & Kimo
Rainbow Drive In - classic hawaiian, extremely cheap
Giovanni's - skrimp truck
Macky's - skrimp truck
Matsumoto's shaved ice
Waioloa shaved ice
Ono seafood - poke
Musubi Cafe Iyasume - can't go wrong with musubi's as a small snack on a hike or "long" drive, or even on the plane ride back home
Dole Plantation - dole whip
Bubbies - mochi ice cream

Much more that I'm missing but just a quick list that most end up going to for a reason. Check out yelp for sure, as most people will rave about the good places.

That's raw fish salad right?
Don't spend too much time in Waikiki, drive around and explore the island!

Check out North Shore
Koko Head stairs
Pillbox hike at Lanakai Beach

ok

Eats:
Side street inn
Boots & Kimo
Macky's - skrimp truck
Matsumoto's shaved ice
Waioloa shaved ice
Ono seafood - poke
Musubi Cafe Iyasume - can't go wrong with musubi's as a small snack on a hike or "long" drive, or even on the plane ride back home

Thanks...heard the shrimp trucks are legendary. Can't wait to try some.

Keep 'em coming NT.

rent a car and drive around.  as stated before go to north shore or drive around the island.  They have tour buses but I prefer to rent a car.  My uncle lives there so he drove us around last year.  Wish I didn't stay in touristy areas too often like Waikiki beach.  Should plan an travel itinerary so you get the best out of your experience.  

I ate poke there from whole foods fresh from the ocean.  delicious.  

Last edited:
Eats:
Side street inn overpriced and overrated. the pork chops and fried rice get raves but imo they suck.
Boots & Kimo overrated. go super early or get take out if you must.
Macky's - skrimp truck
Matsumoto's shaved ice go to shimazu instead
Waioloa shaved ice see above
Ono seafood - poke
Musubi Cafe Iyasume - can't go wrong with musubi's as a small snack on a hike or "long" drive, or even on the plane ride back home - it's ok and close to kicks hawaii but manabu is the best place for musubi.

Much more that I'm missing but just a quick list that most end up going to for a reason. Check out yelp for sure, as most people will rave about the good places.
hawaiian food: helenas
mom and pop food spot: your kitchen (eat the pork bowl)
popular spot with the local NT fam: pioneer saloon. monsarrat shave ice is next door and is pretty good.
best shave ice in kailua: the local. organic and naturally-flavored shave ice. the chili pepper guava is good.
i'll give you a tip if you want a nice, safe and uncrowded beach spot on the north shore. if you snorkel, you'll probably see some turtles here too. if you go to 68 hau street in wailua, park near this beach access pictured. don't leave anything valuable in the car. go through that small path near the sign and take a left and pick a spot. this is where i take my family to hang out on the weekends.
View media item 1730050

Don't waste your time going to aulani. Don't go to Waienae. Just stay away from the west side, and Eva beach.

Check out cromwells though.

If you are staying in Waikiki, don't waste your time exploring the area when you can go see other cool places, save that for days you don't feel like going somewhere far.

Keep it coming NT...is Alan Wong's the best place to take wifey for a romantic dinner? I heard it's great but there's not view. Is there somewhere with a great view and great food?

morimotos if you like seafood. when the sun goes down on friday there's a fireworks show right there.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom