What's separating you and your dreams? vol. just gotta make it...

The road to success includes either roadblocks or a traffic jam, otherwise everybody would be there...I dig that. Doesn't stop the ride from being a %#@%#.

Take me for example. I want to be a writer when I don't grow up, but my permanent escape from the 9-5 world pretty much depends on me finding a literary agent. Without an agent, I can't get a publisher. Without a publisher, I'll be stuck selling home-printed books outside supermarkets like the 35 year old rapper who hasn't realized that if you're older than hip-hop and havent made it yet, you probably won't. That depresses me. Besides that, printing the book I have out now come from my own personal pockets, directly out of my weed mon--discretionary spending...so I don't know if I can do the second one like I did the first.

The fun part is that the process of finding an agent is more or less sending everyone with that job the same letter going "little help, man?" Sometimes it feels like I imagine that guy feels standing in the street handing out church flyers and watching people throw them on the ground or asking for more than one so they can end up in the trash in bulk.

Aight, I'm done dogwifing...so what's standing in your way right now? Maybe you need another degree for the job you want. Maybe you don't have the money to start up your business. Maybe you want to be a full-service stripper and can't shake that annoying gag reflex. Maybe the only thing in your way is you and your lack of motivation.

I know that feel...let's talk about it.

I just pray that I made the right choice... I spent my whole life dreaming about becoming a professional golfer ( I don't care where! ) but trying to become one without financial support is nearly impossible. so i've been with a girl for a while now and realized that maybe I need to get myself back in school and find my career...23 and just starting college. better than being 33 I guess. oh well...maybe I can be a golfer again someday.

I'm gonna just go with everything you said except I'll add that the perfect novel hasn't yet risen out of me.

procrastination mainly 
ohwell.gif
tired.gif
embarassed.gif

Hotshots, why not join a golf team at a University, maybe earn a partial scholarship or something.I'm living a dream everyday, I know that feel.

Originally Posted by hotshots24

I just pray that I made the right choice... I spent my whole life dreaming about becoming a professional golfer ( I don't care where! ) but trying to become one without financial support is nearly impossible. so i've been with a girl for a while now and realized that maybe I need to get myself back in school and find my career...23 and just starting college. better than being 33 I guess. oh well...maybe I can be a golfer again someday.

23 is not old to start college at all...the only people who really think you HAVE to start college right out of HS are the people who sell college. I assume you're pretty good on the links, so don't give it up.

I will say that you have the longest open window of any pro athlete tho
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

I'm gonna just go with everything you said except I'll add that the perfect novel hasn't yet risen out of me.

So you defintely know how it is then...I swear, no bias, the writing game has to be one of the hardest professions to break into because of the simple fact that it takes so long to read and barely anything is any good. I almost feel sorry for the folk who actually have to read every single submission letter.

Oh, and the perfect novel hasn't risen out of a lot of people. Hell, some people have books published and have yet to write a decent one. Don't let that stop you.

Originally Posted by DIOR PAINT

Excuses.

Originally Posted by SoVerSoTowel

procrastination mainly 
ohwell.gif
tired.gif
embarassed.gif

This thread was also made to kick folk like y'all heterolovingly in the $##. Get your %%$% together. My biggest fear is being a "shoulda, coulda, woulda" in 20 years...brings legit tears to my eyes just thinking about how much that would suck. Maybe you feel the same, even if you don't know it yet. You're lucky enough to at least know what you want to do, some people never get that...at least take some steps in that direction.

Originally Posted by potus2028

23 is not old to start college at all...the only people who really think you HAVE to start college right out of HS are the people who sell college. I assume you're pretty good on the links, so don't give it up.

I will say that you have the longest open window of any pro athlete tho
laugh.gif

Thanks man, def made my day 
happy.gif
 been feeling bad seeing everyone graduating and i'm out here trying to be a pro athlete 
laugh.gif
 btw, i'm in the Philippines so there are no college scholarships for golf here 
ohwell.gif
 since golf was cheaper here and the courses were nicer, been training out here. ended up meeting my girl here and so not really looking to go back anytime soon  
ohwell.gif
 though I miss the bay 
frown.gif
 yeah open window for my whole life 
laugh.gif
 senior tour here I come!

I want to produce music. BAD. It seems like any and everything gets in my way. I've been trying to cop a legit keyboard for over 5 years. Everytime I get the money, something comes up. Death in the family, my idenity was stolen(along with my income tax), car wreaks all kinds of stuff. I'm about to be 30 soon, so its like $%%+ it now. If i ever get a chance, I'm going to take it but chances are slim. I don't know why we want to keep hip-hop as children's music, but it is what it is.

Originally Posted by Tr1ll

I want to produce music. BAD. It seems like any and everything gets in my way. I've been trying to cop a legit keyboard for over 5 years. Everytime I get the money, something comes up. Death in the family, my idenity was stolen(along with my income tax), car wreaks all kinds of stuff. I'm about to be 30 soon, so its like $%%+ it now. If i ever get a chance, I'm going to take it but chances are slim. I don't know why we want to keep hip-hop as children's music, but it is what it is.

you either look at those as challenges or signs that you need to quit. if you believe in your talent, then they're challenges. keep pushing.

funding for now. 
i found my dream job but right now, there is no money for it. sounds cheesy but my dream job was with the Navy (Public Affairs Officer) and I had a very strong application with recommendations from very high ranking officials. then in the last week in January, my recruiter calls and says they cancelled the board review because of budget cuts. it was devastating for a while but i get the current state of things.
tired.gif
hopefully, i can land the equivalent in the Naval Reserves, which I'm also waiting to hear results on.

all i can do is stay patient and apply again. board reviews for this job are only held once a year too. 

Originally Posted by Tr1ll

you either look at those as challenges or signs that you need to quit. if you believe in your talent, then they're challenges. keep pushing.

That's it right there. If you believe in your talent enough, you'll gamble on it.

Originally Posted by ryair max 1

funding for now. 
i found my dream job but right now, there is no money for it. sounds cheesy but my dream job was with the Navy (Public Affairs Officer) and I had a very strong application with recommendations from very high ranking officials. then in the last week in January, my recruiter calls and says they cancelled the board review because of budget cuts. it was devastating for a while but i get the current state of things.
tired.gif
hopefully, i can land the equivalent in the Naval Reserves, which I'm also waiting to hear results on.

all i can do is stay patient and apply again. board reviews for this job are only held once a year too. 

Damn, man...that had to be a heartbreaker. Good luck with the safety net and I hope you get it next year.

Originally Posted by potus2028

Originally Posted by DIOR PAINT

Excuses.

Originally Posted by SoVerSoTowel

procrastination mainly 
ohwell.gif
tired.gif
embarassed.gif

This thread was also made to kick folk like y'all heterolovingly in the $##. Get your %%$% together. My biggest fear is being a "shoulda, coulda, woulda" in 20 years...brings legit tears to my eyes just thinking about how much that would suck. Maybe you feel the same, even if you don't know it yet. You're lucky enough to at least know what you want to do, some people never get that...at least take some steps in that direction.
Took the words right outta my mouth.

Only thing that is separating me from my dreams is a week and a half, finally got a tryout for a JC football team
pimp.gif

A lot of us hold our selves back because inside we believe we are not worthy.

It is our thoughts that hold us back.

I'm here to say that you can do it, you can make it.

You just need self discipline and know your goal.

Work towards it everyday. Take little steps.

Originally Posted by DJMano34

A lot of us hold our selves back because inside we believe we are not worthy.

It is our thoughts that hold us back.

I'm here to say that you can do it, you can make it.

You just need self discipline and know your goal.

Work towards it everyday. Take little steps.
Very true. 
Procrastination holds me back 
tired.gif

After almost being dropped from studio this semester it hit me that I have to take my passions more seriously.

Not knowing what my dream or which career to get into
I have bits and pieces like I want to help those less fortunate
But honestly I just want land with a F-150 in the south and a beach/lake view condo with a convertible somewhere overseas thats not too much to ask for right?

just the current state of things...just moved to LA solo and i'm tryin to get settled in...when i finally get my own spot, I know a weight will be lifted and i can get back to grindin' like i was before...

having to take over and run family businesses b/c of inadequate family members.

initially, i was furious for having to give up my career/corporate-path, but in retrospect, i see it just as another experience that will somehow make sense/benefit me in the long-run.

“You can’t connect the dots looking forward; you can only connect them looking backwards. So you have to trust that the dots will somehow connect in your future. You have to trust in something – your gut, destiny, life, karma, whatever. Because believing that the dots will connect down the road will give you the confidence to follow your heart even when it leads you off the well worn path; and that will make all the difference.

Back
Top Bottom