Whats the best way to get better at defense? Vol. Offense isnt an issue

Originally Posted by Durden7

Retire.

laugh.gif

Its all about the hustle. Its hard to play D. you have to put in the effort. If your guy likes to drive in more, see which way your opponent likes to go, and gave him a bit more leverage to force him to go on the opposite side.

If hes a bad shooter, give him some more space and let him take the open J if he wants.

Defense is all about the technique and hustle.

it's all about the "FUNDAMENTALS" of defense
-Stay low, arms extended, be always lite on your feet triple threat posistion for defense
-check your hips
-practice, drills, quick feet, and check your guards weakness
-If you're guarding a quicker player, try to give some room so you don't get blown by and deny his lanes show him his weaker lanes
-If you're guarding a bigger player, body up and don't give him jump shots point him to where your help is at
-If you're guarding a shooter, extend your arms and try to swipe the ball from time to time, and get ready for those picks
-quick feet is key for perimter defending, and always know where your help is

if people are getting by you easily then you're just slow. not a lot you can do about that which means you'll probably never be a great on the ball defender. as others have said, you can sag off and make them shoot but that's about it.

doesn't mean you can't still be a defensive force though, here are my two cents. work on your off the ball and help defense. a lot of people think im a pain to play against because i go pretty hard on d and i'm very pesky. being solid on help d is pretty easy and your teammates will notice. if you're an offensive player and im on defense guarding someone else, if you're anywhere in my vicinity you're gonna have two hands in your face every time you try to put something up.

you can get a lot of steals, and put yourself in even better positions to help out your squad just by being in the right place. play the passing lanes, know where your assignment is, and put yourself in a position where you can't be exposed by your guy but you're still able to step up in the lane, grab a wanna be pass etc. most guys in pick up games just aren't that good so it's really easy to cheat if you know what you're doing.

most of it is just working hard and keeping your hands active. take risk, if you're very athletic you're gonna be able to take more risk without burning yourself, if you're not be a little more cautious.

i actually suck at basketball (well at offense) but because of my boxing and running background, i'm pretty good in defense because i move my feet alot... i'm always on my toes.  If you're light on your foot, you can easily move lateral and cut of your man

Originally Posted by 2g00d4u

I've always felt that Im a better defender than an offensive player. Im kinda that defender/hustle combo type guy. Ive always been out of shape though (playing D is tiring as hell). Get your endurance up and strengthen your lower body. Stay low and get your hands up.

Thats what I learned during high school basketball
laugh.gif

You mentioned charges so im guessing youre playing some organized ball? I dont think anyone calls charges during pick ups
laugh.gif

naw its not organized, i guess i didnt mean charges but i mean i kinda dont let them hit me like that.

Originally Posted by HANNSUM

stop shooting. save energy for defense... you seem more suitable for defense by wanting to get better at D. props

sometimes when my team loses, i feel like its my fault. im tired of all that.
laugh.gif

get low and move your feet. fight through the tiredness, and keep moving - the idea is to get to where you check wants to go before he does. its like 95% effort.

I've always been a good defender... I play to the opponents weak side ... If he's a lefty I let him go right and vice versa. Arms always active... I'm a lil husky so I take a lot of body contact... Slim dudes hate body contact.... If homie is lighting u up with jumpers foul him a couple times to get him out his rythym

Since you're playing pickup, I suggest you hand check and use your arm to guide and help you stay with defenders.

And maybe even, a little elbow tap. Hey, they'll call foul, but at least they won't score.
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

Defensive slides for the win.

also, try to guide the offensive player towards your help D, or towards their off hand.

I'm TERRIBLE against faster people and in the post on D. MY shot is wet so it evens out. And yes I'm the person who usually guards the worst player on the other team cuz I'm not good at D, its not that I dont try on D, I just flatout am not made for it no matter whether I get in an extreme defensive stance or not, when goin on hard on D, I MIGHT get a stop or two(on someone who can actually play offense, not a bum) just off of pure desire, but hte rest of the time im gettin blown by like its nothin

First you gotta know and let us know your own strengths ... like say are you quick, have good speed, got decent ups ..

Originally Posted by AirAlphabet

Try to force whoever your guarding to his weaker hand. If the guy is a lefty most of the time he's easier to guard when you force him to the right and vice versa.
eek.gif

Hubie is that you?

Stay on your toes and get low.
My problem with defense is shorter faster players then me.

I could stick with my own height 5'11-6'2 I don't have to get real low since they aren't that short.

Oh, yeah I can't seem to get my hops better. I've been trying squads, for the longest and still can't touch rim -_-!

Back
Top Bottom