Whats the best way to get better at defense? Vol. Offense isnt an issue

Ive come to realize that my man to man ball defense is atrocious. I really need to step it up. I try to stand in front of the offender and not give him a clear shot to the basket but dudes can just go right by me. Ive never taken a charge before. Should i try that?

Sag off a little bit. Give the ball handler plenty of room to shoot. If they are hitting shots on you, come in a little closer. But if your problem is getting blown by on the dribble (I have that problem too, I'm white and slow) then make them shoot jump shots.

You gotta do drills to get your lateral movement better. Push off of your laft leg if you are moving right and push off of your right leg going left. Get down and have one hand down towards the ball and the other up high to catch passes or transition into shot defense. Do this in a half squating position up and down the court to get your thighs/legs stronger and you should get faster and get your D up. Also, always go towards where your opponent is heading not to where he is currently at. Basically, you know he's going towards the rim so try to cut him off.

But if your problem is getting blown by on the dribble (I have that problem too, I'm white and slow) then make them shoot jump shots.
laugh.gif
don't make em take jump shots especially if you're shorter than your opponent and if he's a good shooter as well.

if you're getting blown by the dribble then don't make him take that first step. anticipate as to where he's going. that's the way to stop a slasher. if he's both a good shooter and slasher, then you might have to get into a neutral position where you can close out on his first step or force him to make a difficult shot.

Play and practice against quicker players. It'll teach you to anticipate and react quicker than you normally were use to. My friend use to go at it with Ervin Walker everyday back when he played in HS in Christ the King and my friend got so much quicker on defense because of it. And that is exactly what he said it did. Because he was white and not the most explosive person. But 4 years of that really did it!

80 percent of defense is just desire and working hard. Defensive fundamentals won't do anything unless you have that cutthroat desire....and you can always get after it more even if you think you are going 100.

I get picked up on teams because I play nice defense and get on the boards... I cant really shoot for jack outside of 15 feet but I usually lock my man up for the whole game...

Just gotta work on your side to side footwork and don't be scared to use your body... its pick up basketball so no ones gonna be calling ticky tack fouls because you're playing tight D and using your body to dictate where the offensive guy is gonna go.

Originally Posted by BeallsFinest

80 percent of defense is just desire and working hard. Defensive fundamentals won't do anything unless you have that cutthroat desire....and you can always get after it more even if you think you are going 100.

Yup...
I really like to play defense more then offense...
Get my BB on...

pimp.gif

I've always felt that Im a better defender than an offensive player. Im kinda that defender/hustle combo type guy. Ive always been out of shape though (playing D is tiring as hell). Get your endurance up and strengthen your lower body. Stay low and get your hands up.

Thats what I learned during high school basketball
laugh.gif

You mentioned charges so im guessing youre playing some organized ball? I dont think anyone calls charges during pick ups
laugh.gif

Try to force whoever your guarding to his weaker hand. If the guy is a lefty most of the time he's easier to guard when you force him to the right and vice versa.

Its all about studying your opponent. Like my man said earlier, study which way he likes to take the ball. Footwook is also a major factor on good defense, can't be getting blown by out there on the hardwood. COMMUNICATE ON D! its four other dudes out there so communication is huge on defense, be aware of cuts, call out screens. If your running zone, play ZONE CORRECTLY. Dudes irritate the hell out of me when we're playing zone yet the two at the top of the key don't slide or we get pulled back into man. Be physical but dont foul. A tip is to take a look at the best defenders in the league or even college ball, i.e Kobe, Lebron, Bruce Bowen (when he played). If your a 4 or 5, then pay attention to KG or even Dwight Howard out there.

stop shooting. save energy for defense... you seem more suitable for defense by wanting to get better at D. props

On ball Defense is probably the hardest thing to get better at. You need to process a ton of information and be in great shape(strong core).

Easiest thing I can recommend is getting low, It sounds silly but It helps a ton. Watch tape of great perimeter and check out their stance. The wider you get, the wider the offensive player he has to go and the more time you have to react.

People say to follow the person's midsection, because it never lies. It never worked for me but it's always made sense.

Next you need to learn how to slide, a lot of people think they're sliding and all they're doing is jumping from side to side. When a crossover causes 2 feet of space between you and your man, you know you're not sliding. Try sliding around perimeter of your and touch the ground when your feet are spread out the most. If you cant touch the ground, you're not low enough. If you don't hate the drill, you're doing it wrong.

Good luck.

Stay on your toes.

If you're getting beat off the dribble, keep your eyes on your opponents waist, not his hands or his feet.

Originally Posted by Mo Matik

Stay on your toes.

If you're getting beat off the dribble, keep your eyes on your opponents waist, not his hands or his feet.

that is true, staying on your toes makes your ability to move in different directions a lot easier.

dont be afraid you use you body though. Not fouling, but if they drive at you stand your ground. Make them run into your chest and drive them away way.

i consider myself a pretty good defender. i rarely ever get scored on when i'm actually in lockdown mode, and even when i'm coasting (gotta save energy for offense lol) i usually don't get scored on. the key is being alert and quick, and getting a feel for what your opponents tendencies are. don't take a charge, you'll just get laughed at.
laugh.gif

basically you wanna slightly overplay their dominant side to force them to use their other hand. when they drive, angle your lower body so they have to run into you to get to the hoop. once your bodies make contact, drive your feet to push them away from the basket (use your feet, not your hands). you should always have your hands up to block the shot or pass. you can make life easier on yourself by learning people's tendencies. for example, if someone likes driving, sag off and force them to pull up. if someone likes going left, force them right, etc.

P.S: if none of this works for you, just pick-up the worst player on the other team.
laugh.gif

I learned some tips from these guys so yeah just stay on your toes and NEVER try to look at the guys face.

Just even glancing up at it once can have you being the laughingstock for the rest of the day cuz ya ankle tasted the floor smh

Originally Posted by Biggie62

Play and practice against quicker players. It'll teach you to anticipate and react quicker than you normally were use to. My friend use to go at it with Ervin Walker everyday back when he played in HS in Christ the King and my friend got so much quicker on defense because of it. And that is exactly what he said it did. Because he was white and not the most explosive person. But 4 years of that really did it!

Well, your friend has to be quick to begin with to even be competing with Walker.  Even as a 13 year old playing in summer camps with high schoolers, I remember Walker was blazing. 

Back
Top Bottom