What's the Easiest Sport?

Originally Posted by thesimplestlife

Originally Posted by Durden7

Originally Posted by gabers

Take a group of people; some athletic, some not athletic at all, & the rest in between. I don't see how you can think that:

1. they will find it tougher to pass a basketball to another person than to pass a soccer ball to another person
2. they will find it tougher to dribble a basketball as compared to dribbling a soccer ball
3. they will find it tougher to shoot a basketball compared to shooting a soccer ball IF they were playing on a regular sized goal
    but using your example of just an eclectic group of people wanting to go out and play the goal would be much smaller &
    in that case I'd say it's about even.

There's no way that group of people is going to be able to just go out and play a game of soccer and have fun doing it
while at the same time have it be kind of competitive.

It's late so I hope this makes sense.
laugh.gif
1.  Passing a basketball is easier than passing a soccer ball, but those arent the only activities involved in the sport.  Theres other things to consider.
2.  Dribbling a basketball is MUCH harder due to the precision thats needed.  A soccer dribble has a lot of room for error.  Theres no traveling in soccer, but there is in basketball.  A soccer dribble can be 3 feet in front of you or it can be 6 inches.  Dribbling a basketball is essentially a requirement.  Sure a game of basketball can be played if no one on the teams dribbles, but the odds of that are very small.  At the recreational level, quality dribbling skills in soccer arent a necessity at all.
3.  The a basketball rim is only a few inches bigger than the actual ball.  Every soccer goal that would be used is going to be substantially larger than the ball.  It takes more skill to make a basket than it does a goal.

It would be easier for them to play soccer than it would for them to play any other sport.  Theres so much room for error in the sport.
wow. this is amazing.

1.dribbling a basketball is harder than dribbling a soccer ball? yea right. if you think just kicking a ball in front of you is dribbling, you're sadly mistaken. that's like those people who dribble a basketball with their palms. As humans, we generally use our hands much more than our feet. Thus, controlling a soccer ball would probably take a lot more work/effort than a basketball.
2. soccer nets are so big because they have to be. Even with such a big net, soccer scores are usually very low (2, 3, maybe 4 goals). By your logic, the bigger net would make it easier to score, which clearly isn't the case. It's obviously a lot easier to shoot a basketball than it is to shoot a soccer ball. Even bad basketball players can make some lucky shots. Although there are some lucky goals in soccer, the amount of those are far less prevalent than in basketball. 
3. Basketball is a lot easier than soccer. period. Having played both, it really isn't that close. How many nba players picked up basketball when they were older? a ton. it really isn't that difficult. 
1) Soccer on the most basic level is pretty much dribbling the ball in front of you...When I played soccer in my pe classes in hs it wasn't too hard for me to dribble if nobody was around me and I didn't try to go crazy fast...I had never played soccer before either...Now when we had to play basketball, the people who never play basketball couldn't dribble more than 10 feet without dribbling the ball of their foot and losing the ball even with nobody around them...
 Let me put it another way..if you took a person who has never played soccer and told them to dribble the ball 40 yards (without blasting it 10 feet in front of them while doin it lol)....next to that person was sum1 who had never played basketball and they had to dribble a basketball 40 yards.....who would reach the 40 yards faster??? IMO without a doubt its the person dribbling the soccer ball....

2) You can't even compare those two in terms of goals/pts scored the way you did because in soccer there are less shots on goal and in basketball there isnt someone standing right above the rim trying to knock the ball away...Take the example I like what I had above and the non-soccer player had to do 10 penalty kicks against a another non soccer player as goalie....and the non-basketball player had to shoot 10 3's....There is no way the non-basketball player is making more 3's than the non soccer player is scoring goals..(and i'm assuming that both people are at least somewhat athletic in both examples)

3) Almost every nba player that didn't start playing until they were older are either big guys where is doesn't require even close to the skills a guard needs to be good right away....OR they didn't play organized ball until they were in older...just because they didn't play organized ball doesn't mean they didn't ever play pickup games...

BlowDaWhistle wrote:
1) Soccer on the most basic level is pretty much dribbling the ball in front of you...When I played soccer in my pe classes in hs it wasn't too hard for me to dribble if nobody was around me and I didn't try to go crazy fast...I had never played soccer before either...Now when we had to play basketball, the people who never play basketball couldn't dribble more than 10 feet without dribbling the ball of their foot and losing the ball even with nobody around them...

Reminds me of 4th grade basketball tryouts lol. 

Back
Top Bottom