Whats the fine for a drink in public infraction? In Ca...

Located in cali. I took a bottle from my boys car and was going to put it in my other friends car across the parking garage. Cop saw me and told me I cant walk around with a bottle. He took it and gave me a ticket. Anyone know what type of fine ill be looking at? 

$300 +- 100

I reccomend you try to fight it. Don't just give in. A lot of times the cop will either show up or the judge will reduce the fine in order to coax a guilty plea instead of having to sit there and listen to arguements. If what you're saying is true and you were on private property I don't think it was illegal.

Another thing, was the bottle open? If it was open did you have it in the trunk ?

Last edited:
I was in a public parking garage. The bottle had been opened and half empty but it was closed when I was carrying it. I wasnt taking swigs out of it or anything. I had the bottle in my hand. I didnt think it was a big deal or I wouldve hid it in my jacket cus I saw the cops just chilling there in the garage. 

I got one last year, it was $280 or in the $300s. I fought it and didn't pay it.
What did you tell him?

EDIT: never mind, if anything that's an open container violation, not drinking in public. Definitely fight it, cops showed up to my court my violation was different since I was in front of a house.

Last edited:
I think ill just ask to have it lowered. If not I think ill try and fight it I guess. Rather just get it over with. There was 2 cops there so I feel like if I try and fight it theyll both just back each other up or the chances of one of them showing up is more than likely. I told him what I was doing but he told me I shouldnt be walking around with a 5th of liquor out in the open cus it looks bad on my part. It wasnt like I was taking sips in public or chillin in the car getting faded.

I think you have a winning chance of beating it, if it was liquor. It definitely plays a different role than being an open beer bottle/can.

Last edited:
I think you have a winning chance of beating it, if it was liquor. It definitely plays a different role than being an open beer bottle/can.

This.

Honestly....Unless there is part to the story your arent telling us, I would throw a damn fit and call the news. Its absurd to think people are getting citations for simply grabbing a bottle of liquor from of your car.

This.

Honestly....Unless there is part to the story your arent telling us, I would throw a damn fit and call the news. Its absurd to think people are getting citations for simply grabbing a bottle of liquor from of your car.

word, its almost like officers are getting commission for these citations.

If you weren't consuming it and it was closed, you should've just been let go.

Those cops must've been bored :lol:

But yea like everyone else said. If this is 100% how it happened then fight it bro. If you weren't even drinking it how can they even cite you? Plead not guilty, chances are 9 out of 10 the cops aren't going to show up to court, then the judge can listen to what happened. I'm sure he'll have more to focus on than some guy carrying a bottle of liquor. You'll probably get a fine and have to pay court fees at the WORST.

Back
Top Bottom