what's the punishment after you get your first DWI?

In AZ, its license suspended for a year and 1 day in jail, f your underage.

If over 21 you get a day in jail and the breathelyzer installed in your car , which you have to pay for. Length depends on judge

It's different for every jurisdiction. The people I've prosecuted got 1 day in jail, a fine starting at $250 (depending on the severity of the offense), and they had to go to a class.  They also get their license suspended.  Definitely don't go driving with your license suspended for a DWI, because with that comes a harsher punishment that the regular driving on a suspended license. 

Why? Did you just get caught?

Oh, when you already have a felony? Hmm... What was the felony, and what were the terms of your punishment for the felony?

Anyway, still it varies. Where do you live, fam?

Originally Posted by SShanique

It's different for every jurisdiction. The people I've prosecuted got 1 day in jail, a fine starting at $150 (depending on the severity of the offense), and they had to go to a class.  They also get their license suspended.  Definitely don't go driving with your license suspended for a DWI, because with that comes a harsher punishment that the regular driving on a suspended license. 

Oh, when you already have a felony? Hmm... What was the felony, and what were the terms of your punishment for the felony?

houston.  i already have a felony for aggravated assault with a deadly weapon

Originally Posted by DaCitySlanga

If you had a felony on file, why would you add more fuel to the fire and get a DWI??

Alcoholic, maybe, or thought he was okay to drive, or thought he wouldn't get caught, I'm guessing.

Did you submit to any field sobriety tests, OP?

Originally Posted by non flammable

when you already have a felony.

smh.gif

Wow, I can say they're not going to go easy on you. How long ago did you get the felony? What was your sentence? Did you get any suspended jail time, and if so for how long? Also do you know what you BAC was?

Most likely u wont do no time for a dwi, that is a municiple charge. i got 2 drug charges, 2 dui's from when i was a dumb young buck, 18-19 wilin out. but that first dui, was after my felony charges, and my lawyer got that jawn dropped down 2 3months lost of licsense (1000 doller fine for 3 years straight). U get another 1 u might do time, 2 years loss of licsense and that fine i was tellin u about. But this is Jersey laws

Well, I've prosecuted a few DWI charges, and nowhere have I read in the code that if you have committed a felony before... So, you're safe in that regard. It's not the same offense. If you had previously had a DWI, then that would have been a different story.  The prosecutor may give you a heftier fine or more jail time, because he will see the felony on your record, but all in all, the felony shouldn't affect your punishment. You will probably get a small fine, a short sentence, or a combination of both. If you spent a certain number of hours in jail after your arrest, then one of your jail days will be knocked off. If you can afford it, hire a lawyer to negotiate with the prosecutor. I will tell you like I tell all the young people who come before me in court, don't get into any more trouble.
wink.gif

I'm off topic a bit but I've always wondered is there any real difference between a DUI and a DWI?

Not really, i believe it holds the same grounds, I believe DUI = high DWI = drunk, correct me if im wrong.

Originally Posted by non flammable

Originally Posted by SShanique

It's different for every jurisdiction. The people I've prosecuted got 1 day in jail, a fine starting at $150 (depending on the severity of the offense), and they had to go to a class.  They also get their license suspended.  Definitely don't go driving with your license suspended for a DWI, because with that comes a harsher punishment that the regular driving on a suspended license. 

houston.  i already have a felony for aggravated assault with a deadly weapon
ohh boy. texas goes ham with their driving laws. good luck.

Originally Posted by AirJapan707

I'm off topic a bit but I've always wondered is there any real difference between a DUI and a DWI?

i think its,
DUI- underage, have alc in system but under the legal limit.
DWI- have alc in system, 21+, over legal limit.

If you already have a felony you might be sitting in jail for like 1-3 months depends on where you're located. All I got to say is if the judge offers something like 5 years probation tell your lawyer to try and get it down to 3 yrs probation. I know a few people who've copped out to 5 years probation and if you're arrested for anything there is like a 3 month minimum jail time.

Originally Posted by taimaishu123

Originally Posted by AirJapan707

i think its,
DUI- underage, have alc in system but under the legal limit.
DWI- have alc in system, 21+, over legal limit.
DUI can be drugs as well as alcohol
or in some states slightly under the limit can be a dui while over the limit can be dwi

Back
Top Bottom