Whats with females not wanting to share their husbands last name, though?

I met this lady off here and she said if she gets married, she would want to keep her last name i stonefaced her and realized its been a trend. What are somereasons they would want to keep their last name since its been a known tradition to take the last name of thy husband

Originally Posted by J Dilla Himself

I met this lady off here and she said if she gets married, she would want to keep her last name i stonefaced her and realized its been a trend. What are some reasons they would want to keep their last name since its been a known tradition to take the last name of thy husband, though

the only way i wouldnt take his last name is if it rhymed with my 1st name. No way in hell im gonna be called alyssa salissa or somethin like that for the restof my life.

I don't see why someone has to change their last name, what's wrong with keeping it.

smile.gif

if dudes cant convince their wife to change her last name, then theyre doing something wrong ... though

i don't think i would mind too much. but you can be damn sure that my kids are taken my last name

What are your reasons as to why you would want her to have your last name (playing devils advocate)? Does it REALLY matter at the end of the day?

There are plenty of women who keep their last names for professional reasons amongst other things....

I mean, is that really going to be a deal-breaker if she decides to keep her last name
laugh.gif
That's some petty +#%# if you break up over that...on top of itall, if you have kids, they will have YOUR last name....you'll be good.

Just playing Devil's Advocate. Why should the kids get the father's last name. What if the woman says, "I carried them for X amount of months, Ihave the right to give them whatever last name I chose."

How should/could a man fight that battle? Serious question

Also:

Disrespect to tradition? Do all of you dudes in here not wear pink, know how to do your own handy work, oil changes, not know how to cook or clean.

I WANT my woman to take my last name but I don't have any logical reason other than tradition. I spit in the face of tradition when I chose to so whoevershe is might know me and say, "You never want to follow tradition any other time. Why now."

I just need a logic reason so when that day comes I can argue my point.

I agree though. It is an act of submission to her man. Sign of ownership. I am for it but just need help explaining why it is needed

Originally Posted by HOVKid

Originally Posted by ThrowedInDaGame

Lack of respect.

You want to share my bank account and house, then you'll share my last name.

^ This....and... I've chimed in on this topic on other forums but to give my two cents. If she has a name that has some kind of prestige or financialadvantage (Kennedy, Rockerfeller, Hilton, etc.) Then I could understand the hesitation and the benefits of keeping it (or switching to her surname). Yes,I'm familiar with the original purpose of women changing their surnames because of being looked at as property and all that Jazz. But this is one traditionthat I'm pretty stubborn with honestly, I wish she would take it (none of that hyphenation business either).

What's the big deal with tradition? Just because something was done a certain way for many years means it has to stay that way forever?

Originally Posted by Nike Star Jay

Originally Posted by Nyota de la star

Why is this such a big deal?
Like someone else said, it's a lack of respect for tradition and for the man himself. How can you bare his children, cook his food, clean his house, etc and not take his name? Even if you don't do that stereotypical wife stuff, it's still ridiculous not to take your husband's name. Taking a man's last name is symbolism of that unison that you two decided to share once you got married. Feminists are so worried about taking a man's last name as if it makes her any less of a person.
i agree with you but where can you find a woman nowadays that does any of that...
eyes.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Just playing Devil's Advocate. Why should the kids get the father's last name. What if the woman says, "I carried them for X amount of months, I have the right to give them whatever last name I chose."

How should/could a man fight that battle? Serious question
well without the dad, the mom wouldnt have been able to carry said kids

To me, the female would have to have some decent reasoning for me to oblige. If she is at a profession (actress, attorney, etc.) where the name is involved, Iwould understand.

Originally Posted by Lazy B

What's up with some dudes taking their wife's last name though?
ultimate fail, fail at life if any man consents to this, she MUST take the last name, no option no questions

and that middle name thing doesnt cut it

If she has made her money off her name as like brand then I can understand and respect a woman not changing her name.

Originally Posted by Nike Star Jay

Originally Posted by Nyota de la star

Why is this such a big deal?
Like someone else said, it's a lack of respect for tradition and for the man himself. How can you bare his children, cook his food, clean his house, etc and not take his name? Even if you don't do that stereotypical wife stuff, it's still ridiculous not to take your husband's name. Taking a man's last name is symbolism of that unison that you two decided to share once you got married. Feminists are so worried about taking a man's last name as if it makes her any less of a person.
Maybe western tradition
laugh.gif

Mother never did take my father's name. They've been married 20 years... never been an issue.

Why is taking the man's name a symbol of unison anyway? Shouldn't it be both of your names combined?

Back
Top Bottom