What's your opinion on unpaid internships?

While I agree, and they should have upped it to $15 before Ford kiboshed that.

Better than paying transportation and food to work for someone else.

some wild **** tho, gotta walk to the gig and hope for free donuts so you can work unpaid.

I like the idea of unpaid internships.

It depends if it’s for a trade/technical or not though. Anything that is just pencil pushing clerical type work should be paid. That’s just a job.

If someone was willing to teach me woodworking though and to do it for free - i’d be very happy with that as an unpaid internship. Similarly, with construction or mechanical work. There is no substitute for hands on learning and people that are willing to guide you. I totally get that it’s not possible for everyone but i think that’s because these internships are also way too long. You can easily learn a lot in 2 hours a day if the company is setup well with a prescribed plan for what you do when you are there.

I cannot believe I forgot about The Pursuit of Happyness. Watched that thing the other night. What a story. I mean, I am 100% convinced he embellished the mess out of some of the details but still an incredible picture.

When Will hit the streets afterward with the "nobody around knows wtf I just achieved and I dont have anyone to celebrate with" move, I swear that **** hits! Had that feeling one time in my life and it's indescribable.

It depends if it’s for a trade/technical or not though. Anything that is just pencil pushing clerical type work should be paid. That’s just a job.

If someone was willing to teach me woodworking though and to do it for free - i’d be very happy with that as an unpaid internship. Similarly, with construction or mechanical work. There is no substitute for hands on learning and people that are willing to guide you. I totally get that it’s not possible for everyone but i think that’s because these internships are also way too long. You can easily learn a lot in 2 hours a day if the company is setup well with a prescribed plan for what you do when you are there.
These are called an apprenticeship, and they get paid.

As I said to others that made similar points, why are we pretending the presence/absence of money somehow changes what is/isn't being learned?

I highly doubt the kids of upper class are taking these unpaid internships. Let's be serious, they are the ones getting the highly paid & most sought after ones

No, they ARE the ones taking these positions.

They are the ones with the connects.

Interning one year, paid employee soon after.

The vast majority of unpaid internships are ****ty internship positions at ****ty companies. Also, it seems like an industry norm for sports industry internship to be unpaid. Maybe the bigger goal would to be tackling that industry first.

Last edited:
Just an important note for this thread

yesterday igotthatstock igotthatstock got exposed as being the new account for a member that was previous banned for peddling racist nonsense in the Political Thread I InTheHallway

He is a known liar, he whole lifestyle is probably made up, so are his experiences and supposed expertise. Disregard his post.

Mans is just a Trumper peddling right wing talking points under a new persona

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom