What's your opinion on unpaid internships?

From whose perspective? I am the least wealthy of my peers. I am probably viewed as wealthy to most. But I do not consider myself "wealthy" as I am reliant on my job and paycheck every other week to provide for my family.

So, no. :lol:

Why you bussin it open for rampant capitalism then? Pay people for their internships. If you can’t afford it, don’t have interns. It’s a simple concept.

Some folks have low Social Media IQ.

Not even sure why she even put herself in that convo in the first place.

Just dumb.

Exactly. It stuns me that public figures like this who are on TV have this little tact. If I came from a wealthy background I would just stay out of this discussion completely. Instead Joy and Jen double down and people had to go looking into their backgrounds about how they financed their education

Last edited:
Agreed, she should stick to important topics

Like calling out people's face mask color

I agree.

Exactly. It stunts me that public figures like this who are on TV have this little tact. If I came from a wealthy background I would just stay out of this discussion completely. Instead Joy and Jen double down and people had to go looking into their backgrounds about how they financed their education

Yea she should know that folks were going to come at her with her presenting herself like that in THIS situation. Not sure what she was thinking.

in healthcare this is basically everyone's route when they are in school. i don't see how it would work any other way.
the schools actually pay the hospitals to allow students there to work.

it's probably different though since it's more of a liability issue with patient care.

I don't think that's a comparable situation. A more comparable situation is how some DO dermatology residencies in florida wouldn't pay residents because they knew they didn't have too. Taking advantage of an advantage, if you will.

Why you bussin it open for rampant capitalism then? Pay people for their internships. If you can’t afford it, don’t have interns. It’s a simple concept.
Because I'm watching a 90" television with 4 cars outside and a mortgage that is lower than most people rent with 2 Xbox series x and a Ps5 and I just got the Carmines in the mail with the Griffeys on the way. O yeah and my wife doesn't work and my kids will go to private school.

Capitalism has treated me well. I want to create a system where everyone can eat just the same.

It really bugs me when people go "Oh we're/they're providing an opportunity", no you're not. This isn't a benevolent act. You need their labor which is why you're asking for it. But if you can't pay for that labor then you need to rethink your business plan.
I want to create a system where everyone can eat just the same.
That system isn't capitalism though...

I never thought it was unreasonable to not be paid for my internships in school even when I was poor, just didn't really cross my mind. I was poor enough to qualify for significant study grants that covered my tuition many times over.
Pay them though, it'd help the accessibility for people struggling financially.

Unpaid internships shouldn’t have the same workload as a full time job. The way I see it a internship should be a way for someone with our experience to get in the building and learn a lil bit about the business. Companies using internships for basically free labor is just capitalism as grimey as it is

💯💯💯 This can't be stated enough. Even if you get an unpaid internship, you still might get screwed. You accept the internship with the assumption that in lieu of monetary compensation you'll learn the ins and outs of the job and make valuable connections. A lot of the time these guys end up doing menial jobs like making copies, getting coffee and lunch and end up not learning anything or being introduced to anyone.

Some of these companies aren't trying to help their unpaid interns but they literally just want free labor for a couple of months and know that some college students are naive enough to work for free and get nothing in return.

can somebody confirm this is actually happening? instead of doing work that will help them get a similar paid role in the future, they are mainly doing other random thing? i really find it hard to believe that a person would be doing this for longer than 1-2 weeks since that wouldn't be helpful to get a job in the future.

Because I'm watching a 90" television with 4 cars outside and a mortgage that is lower than most people rent with 2 Xbox series x and a Ps5 and I just got the Carmines in the mail with the Griffeys on the way. O yeah and my wife doesn't work and my kids will go to private school.

Capitalism has treated me well. I want to create a system where everyone can eat just the same.
I don't think this post will have the intended effect you think it will

There's no need to flex on a message board, homie. 😂

Unpaid internships are cool if you come from means, I guess. But not really. Financially, I wouldn’t have been able to do it in college. Thankfully my industry pays interns well and offers a variety of opportunities.

@ITO Thoughts on the topic?

Do yall use interns?

Tough to gauge, what does the internship entail? If it gives out credits for time worked towards your degree, I feel like that is a type of payment. Increase career experience, letter of reference, opportunities available based on relationships you wouldn't have without the internship. What's the duration, what are you getting out of it, is there a full time job opportunity at the end of it? There is a lot of things to consider when trying to take one. Including is it a legit internship with upside or are you being treated as the coffee getter/copy maker. And that is the flip side to this thing, did you do your research? You are responsible for you, including your education and work. There are a lot of options most times, you don't need to be locked into something terrible. On top of that there is also regular jobs you could see to use it as an internship, get paid and see if you can get the experience needed. Need to go deep and figure out all options. But because there are some many variables it's hard to give an overall thought on the topic.

Being paid for your time doesn't necessary mean it's monetary, my question would be what are you getting out of it? If it's a handful of what I mentioned or even all, that's not a bad come up if you're planning for future. Nothing like creating relationships pursuit of career advancement, let alone credits, professional references, and the remainder.

Regulations should be in place, any internship shouldn't have to feel the full weight of a position especially if it's entry level. With whoever the leader is bringing in the intern, they need to look at it as a coaching opportunity and almost like a potential long term audition. Take care of the intern and move forward with opportunities. That's no where near how a lot of them think from my experience and having these conversations years ago, but some of that is on the person who applied for the internship.

Ultimately, the answer is what is best for you? Do you want to get paid, go find something that will get you paid. Do you want something in your field, find something that fits you.

I'm in a position where, hiring all the people I do, resumes with no job experience don't hold a lot of weight, with the combination of both you hold my interest more so. I also hold more weight towards internal growth and hiring from the inside versus from the outside. But it's person to person (company:company, situation:situation) on what the importance is. It's very much a leadership thought process as well, based on the leader you should have an outlook on how the waterfall of the company is. In turn what the weight of an internship should be (when the waterfall finally gets there).

We don't have interns, I wouldn't be opposed to the practice but I'm someone who makes sure my people are taken care of. If this was a company directive, I'd have to make sure we know how we are compensating the person. But that is at a singular level for a company, a lot of others don't think that way. I'd also look for the opportunity to coach and mentor as I have, would be good for college students (even high school) to get the credits, build their experience on their resume, have a letter of recommendation and for me to have a bigger coaching tree than I have now. Same sentence where people don't normally believe in this practice and people are treated as gophers and then they are on their way. But I would look at it as I'm recruiting the best at some kind of "intern"/"rookie" level, I'm helping create opportunity where normally there wouldn't be, and I get to help progress your career and in turn have the opportunity to steal talent where most people aren't looking.

"I just want minorities to gain access to the luxuries of my lifestyle through unpaid labor" is a really unconvincing argument for interns.

...yeah tho, any benefit of experience offered by employment can and should be supplemented by money, cash payments.

it is not an either/or choice...like, do you not get the exp. points if you collect a paycheck?

"I just want minorities to gain access to the luxuries of my lifestyle through unpaid labor" is a really unconvincing argument for interns.

...yeah tho, any benefit of experience offered by employment can and should be supplemented by money, cash payments.

it is not an either/or choice...like, do you not get the exp. points if you collect a paycheck?
Quite honestly, the level of productivity an intern provides might not deserve payment. If I have the choice to pay someone who has no experience and no skills or to pay someone who has some experience and some skills, I am going to take the latter every single time. I view unpaid internships as an extension of school in a sense. You are exchanging your labor for the experience to be more attractive to future employers.

Imagine being told by someone watching a 90" tv with 4 cars outside and a mortgage that is lower than most people rent, with 2 Xbox series x and a Ps5, who just got the Carmines in the mail with the Griffeys on the way, oh yeah and his wife doesn't work and his kids will go to private school, that you don't deserve to be paid.

Once you are an adult all productivity deserves payment. You're not 11 anymore doing chores for your parents who finance your entire existence.

Quite honestly, the level of productivity an intern provides might not deserve payment. If I have the choice to pay someone who has no experience and no skills or to pay someone who has some experience and some skills, I am going to take the latter every single time. I view unpaid internships as an extension of school in a sense. You are exchanging your labor for the experience to be more attractive to future employers.

okay but that's the same thing with anyone you bring into your company and with turnover costs it behooves YOU to hire well.

if they don't do what you pay them for, stop.

the time/labor of any employee makes your business more profitable...you run an income venture not a community soup kitchen.

you get labor AND profit.

the employee gets experience AND money.

this is the employment structure.

people's time and attention cost.

fin.

Back
Top Bottom