Whats your thoughts on the whole DHGate/Replicas (Not just for sneakers)

If replicas were 100% indistinguishable, would you buy them?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Seems like over the past few years replicas and DHGate has blown up even more to the point where most luxury items are indistinguishable.

Im not just talking about sneakers. I've seen DHGate for watches, leather goods, clothes, and perfume.

Obviously fakes and always existed but every year theyre getting closer and closer to looking like the real thing.

for people who refuse buy fakes, why? Do you appreciate the actual craftsmanship or do you have too much pride?

I have some "JustDon" ball shorts for my teams that I'll wear for game day at the crib. They were like $35 compared to $400+. I'm not wearing them outside or trying to pass them off as authentic so it's whatever to me. It's people who try to flex with fakes that I would have a problem with.

i’ve totally changed my stance on this over the years. i’d never buy fakes but if someone can’t afford the real thing, i really don’t care if they wear fakes EVEN if they pretend like it’s real. none of it affects ME so it’s a zero factor.

from shoes, to designer clothes, to jewelry - i really don’t care what anyone else does.

i’ve totally changed my stance on this over the years. i’d never buy fakes but if someone can’t afford the real thing, i really don’t care if they wear fakes EVEN if they pretend like it’s real. none of it affects ME so it’s a zero factor.

from shoes, to designer clothes, to jewelry - i really don’t care what anyone else does.

I literally had this conversation with one of my students last week. He asked me my thoughts on "reps." Told him exactly what you said. I understand why they exist, and I'm not mad at anyone who feels they have to go that route, as long as they know and aren't paying full price or God forbid resell.

I never blamed people for buying from these guys rather than paying astronomical prices for the real deal. But I'm definitely clowning if they're trying to brag about it and I find out that it's fake, especially if they're trying to stunt on others.

Changed my whole thought process on fakes.

Also, I will never call anyone out for wearing fake anymore. Let them be great. Most people are not enthusiasts of the real like NTers are. I’ve been blessed to never purchase fakes (to the best of my knowledge) but most of us have moms/aunts/sisters that have with their bags. Makes no difference to me and I don’t look at them any different. Why would I do the same to the cats that do the same with their fake kicks?

Side Note: my cousin’s DHGate pandas were the exact same trash quality as authentic pandas, if not lowkey better 😂

I never understood why someone would want something so bad that they have to buy a fake. Just buy something within your budget that looks good and that you like. I guess people just need to live for a name brand.

Also it's the same factories making fakes that make the real thing. Or warehouse owners backdooring the blueprints or instructions to the people that make high quality replicas.

I literally had this conversation with one of my students last week. He asked me my thoughts on "reps." Told him exactly what you said. I understand why they exist, and I'm not mad at anyone who feels they have to go that route, as long as they know and aren't paying full price or God forbid resell.

Changed my whole thought process on fakes.

Also, I will never call anyone out for wearing fake anymore. Let them be great. Most people are not enthusiasts of the real like NTers are. I’ve been blessed to never purchase fakes (to the best of my knowledge) but most of us have moms/aunts/sisters that have with their bags. Makes no difference to me and I don’t look at them any different. Why would I do the same to the cats that do the same with their fake kicks?

Side Note: my cousin’s DHGate pandas were the exact same trash quality as authentic pandas, if not lowkey better 😂

I agree but it makes me wonder why you guys personally will never buy replicas?

If they look just the same and they’re cheaper, what’s stopping you from buying a replica?

Financially, it’s a better decision.

I respect fiscal responsibility of buying cheaper “reps,” but if I can’t afford the “real” then I don’t need to wear it.

Now don’t get it twisted, I’m always looking for the Discount/sale, but I also grew up in a time where fakes were not as durable as reals, so it’s probably partial subconscious.

While I don’t have anything or the desire to buy anything from DHGate, the rate that luxury watches are being stolen at gunpoint builds the case.

1. I've gotten very deep into the replica world,

FYI, Aliexpress, DHgate is overpriced garbage for unaware western consumers.
They laugh at americans who do this and call them "pork chops"

If you are going into to replicas you should do it right. Do your research.
download wechat(chinese whats app), find trusted vendors.

2. as for my feelings. I think it all depends on why you like fashion.

are you it for the "collector" aspect?

well replicas will never be a substitute.
the authenticity and scarcity is part of the what collectors like.

no matter how accurate the rep you will never feel the same about it.

Are in it for the feeling of "luxury"?

well again, it will never satisfy that feeling.
no matter how accurate and high quality the materials on my replica LV wallet.

Im not going to feel the same sense of exclusivity and value, because ultimatley
I spent 100 bucks on it vs 1000 and if I lost it I could just get another one.

3. Are you in for the design aspect?

This is why I like fashion. I like design. that's it, I don't care about exclusivity,
I don't care about collecting stuff. I never have I never will.

replicas allow me to access designs that would be extremely cost prohibitive.

high fashion and streetwear industry mostly operates via artificial scarcity.
the materials and production aren't actually that hard to reproduce.

for designs that are truly difficult to produce you won't see any replicas
in those situations im more than happy to pay retail for designs I really like.

1. I've gotten very deep into the replica world,

FYI, Aliexpress, DHgate is overpriced garbage for unaware western consumers.
They laugh at americans who do this and call them "pork chops"

If you are going into to replicas you should do it right. Do your research.
download wechat(chinese whats app), find trusted vendors.

2. as for my feelings. I think it all depends on why you like fashion.

are you it for the "collector" aspect?

well replicas will never be a substitute.
the authenticity and scarcity is part of the what collectors like.

no matter how accurate the rep you will never feel the same about it.

Are in it for the feeling of "luxury"?

well again, it will never satisfy that feeling.
no matter how accurate and high quality the materials on my replica LV wallet.

Im not going to feel the same sense of exclusivity and value, because ultimatley
I spent 100 bucks on it vs 1000 and if I lost it I could just get another one.

3. Are you in for the design aspect?

This is why I like fashion. I like design. that's it, I don't care about exclusivity,
I don't care about collecting stuff. I never have I never will.

replicas allow me to access designs that would be extremely cost prohibitive.

high fashion and streetwear industry mostly operates via artificial scarcity.
the materials and production aren't actually that hard to reproduce.

for designs that are truly difficult to produce you won't see any replicas
in those situations im more than happy to pay retail for designs I really like.

Good point. But I would argue that design and luxury go hand in hand to a degree though.

You can’t buy a lv wallet and say oh I got a replica because I only liked the design.

The design for lv is so iconic that a part of luxury has to come into play as to why that person bought a replica because they could not afford the real thing.

Last edited:
Come on you have to partially blame resale for why someone would rather just opt out of that game and go straight to buying reps that they dont have to be bent over for and wait in line for .

There are people with whole houses, nice cars and families that buy rep rolexes. There's a video of Chad Ochocinco Johnson admitting he buys fake rolexes because he doesnt see the point in dropping that much cash to tell the time

I respect fiscal responsibility of buying cheaper “reps,” but if I can’t afford the “real” then I don’t need to wear it.

Now don’t get it twisted, I’m always looking for the Discount/sale, but I also grew up in a time where fakes were not as durable as reals, so it’s probably partial subconscious.
Yea i was in high school when the fakes were heavy. Spongebob Dub Zeros, invisible jordans, fake Evisu and red monkey, etc. I cant see past it.

I agree but it makes me wonder why you guys personally will never buy replicas?

If they look just the same and they’re cheaper, what’s stopping you from buying a replica?

Financially, it’s a better decision.

Basically what nice jahb nice jahb said. I'm really not going out of my way to get the stuff I want, and imo, going through all the trouble of dh gate, etc is having to do way too much for what it is. Also, 1. I can afford it. 2. For the most part, if I strike out at retail, I'm out. Don't need it that badly.

Come on you have to partially blame resale for why someone would rather just opt out of that game and go straight to buying reps that they dont have to be bent over for and wait in line for .

There are people with whole houses, nice cars and families that buy rep rolexes. There's a video of Chad Ochocinco Johnson admitting he buys fake rolexes because he doesnt see the point in dropping that much cash to tell the time

people buying DHgate cologne though. You dont have to wait in line for the real thing or pay resale for those :lol:

People appreciate the look and brand cachet they provide, but don't want to shell out the money for it. This goes for bags, fragrances, sneakers, clothes, jewelry, etc. It's not always about affordability, but value-to-price. It's in the same playing field as buying things used or buying a dupe/knockoff.

You can go into the Cologne thread and every now and then folks are recommending 1:1 reps of designer fragrances.

I've had a couple rep sneakers before. In the past, this was just because I wasn't privy to them (sites like marqueesole that were promoted as legit). A lot of the early sneaker youtubers where previewing reps they "got early".

More recently, I saw a pair of dunks I was interested in, but didn't know they were only women's sizes. Thats when I started actually researching reps and was able to find a pair and the method to buy them. Surprisingly, there are well known NTers I still follow on IG that follow the rep pages; so they've purchased reps as well.

My main feeling is do whatever you want as long as you're not trying to falsely profit of them to someone unsuspecting.

Good point. But I would argue that design and luxury go hand in hand to a point though.

You can’t buy a lv wallet and say oh I got a replica because I only liked the design.

The design for lv is so iconic that a part of luxury has to come into play as to why that person bought a replica because they could not afford the real thing.

The materials on an LV wallet aren't actually aren't that "luxury", for the standard wallets, its coated canvas. the leather on taurillon joints aren't that mind-blowing. I've compared them in the LV shop.

it's "luxury" status comes from the fact that access is gated by the price.

I wouldn't get a replica of the standard monogram LV wallet, only rep wallets I own are ones with an interesting design / concept / colour.

I like it strictly because of the design of the object + materials.
I can afford the retail wallet but if I can access the 98% the same thing at 1/10th the price.

unless you want the feeling of owning a 1k wallet (luxury)
or you value collecting authentic pieces. (collector)

why would you buy retail?
imo it's only worth it if they are producing something that truly unique that can't be easily reproduced by independent factories.

You like the design but arent willing to pay the company that hires the designers and produces the actual design that you appreciate?

I'd be lying if I didn't say I was looking up rep Grinch 6s, but I don't think I can pull the trigger.

You like the design but arent willing to pay the company that hires the designers and produces the actual design that you appreciate?

exactly.

they don't sell wallets for 1k because if they don't designers will starve.
they do it because people want luxury good gated by price.

they want artificial scarcity.
personally I don't care LVMH corporation wants.

I have one retail LV wallet,
the design is too difficult to be accurately repped. for that ill pay 800.

but for simpler stuff? no.

I only by retail shoes because they don't make reps in my size.
but if did would instantly sell all my authentics. :lol:

Jordans are gate kept by artificial scarcity.
when I was a kid I bought my first pair of jordans I walked into footlocker and bought olympic 7s.

Nike could sell more jordans, or increase the price commensurate with demand.
they don't do that because they want the artificial scarcity as a promotional and brand value tactic.

they want the lineups, the people mad at the SNKRS app, people angry at losing raffles.

I don't see why I need to play along.

if you don't care about collecting, or exclusivity. it seems crazy to me to not buy jordans because Nike wants them behind a wall of artificial scarcity.

Back
Top Bottom