Whats your thoughts on the whole DHGate/Replicas (Not just for sneakers)

If replicas were 100% indistinguishable, would you buy them?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
An object is not only based on the material cost alone. You also pay for the craftmanship and detail work that makes a luxury watch/bag/whatever more "luxurious" compared to a knockoff counterpart.
I dont even like Rolexes, but to think that a Submariner is just worth 1K because its functionality or material cost is crazy.

4EA29191-5E8C-4EEB-B99B-0842223BB9B0.jpeg

we appreciate craftsmanship over here 😏

not debating if Rolex is a luxury brand or not. it obviously is.

im not gonna go into the #s because realistically no one knows how much it costs to actually produce a submariner.

but you said rolex hasnt upgraded their quality since the the sub was $150 and thats just plain wrong.

I didn't say they have never upgraded the sub, im telling you it's not commensurate with 5x increase in price.

and you know how you can tell, the fact that a chinese factory can get 98% of the way there for 600 bucks. and you need a magnifying glass to spot the difference.

the price is the price to keep it in the luxury good category.

which is fine. I just don't have to care.

Im not debating your level of appreciation that you may or may not have from buying real or fake items.
I'm asking if your cool with not supporting the actual brand that employees the designers and craftmans that makes the designs that you say you appreciate.
But it seems that you are cool with it already.

yah of course.
there are plenty of people who love the experience of buying and owning luxury goods.

an experience for which there is no replica.

LVMH corporation will be fine.

and you know how you can tell, the fact that a chinese factory can get 98% of the way there for 600 bucks. and you need a magnifying glass to spot the difference.
Since we are throwing crazy analogies out here. Would you ride in a plane or car that was 98% there in terms of looking like a real plane/car but made with 20% of the price, made in an unknown chinese factory with no QC, and you need a magnifying glass to spot the differences?

I dont even like Rolexes, but to think that a Submariner is just worth 1K because its functionality or material cost is crazy.

I literally didn't say that. it's worht whatever the market will bear.
if people will pay 1k it's one 1k if they will pay 10k it's worth 10k

also to be clear I don't own rep rolexes.

my point is lets not pretend like the price is driven by R&D, and materials.
it's priced the way it is because it's a luxury good. that's the main driver of the price.

Since we are throwing crazy analogies out here. Would you ride in a plane or car that was 98% there in terms of looking like a real plane/car but made with 20% of the price, made in an unknown chinese factory with no QC, and you need a magnifying glass to spot the differences?
lolwut?

we allow for a level of error in other products that we don't in air travel or cars. because failure has more catastrophic outcomes.

planes and cars are more heavily regulated than headphones or watches for a reason.

I've spent a quite frankly embarrassing sum of money on mechanical keyboards.

is it a better typing experience? sure. I value that.

but I'm not going to sit here and get indignant if other people don't feel the same way.

I’d never purposely buy reps of anything. And if the next person wants to do just that, so be it. Do what works for you.

But you’re still getting the side eye from me. :lol: There’s just something about knowingly faking it that doesn’t jive for me.

Never heard of dhgate. I’m not into luxury designers anyway. For colognes though, I buy the scents I like and not fake ones that won’t smell the same. Or you could buy clones of certain fragrances at lower prices.

I think buying fakes is just sad but at the end of the day, do whatever makes you happy.
At least be honest about it and admit flexing a supposedly expensive item is a much bigger part of it than 'liking the design' so much that you just can't bear to buy something else or grind towards it.

Wearing fakes is one thing. but spraying highly questionable chemicals onto or near your skin is another level.

Only time I condone reps is when it’s a plan b after whiffing on snkrs, raffles, etc. and don’t want to pay resell.

End of the day, do you.

Good point. But I would argue that design and luxury go hand in hand to a degree though.

You can’t buy a lv wallet and say oh I got a replica because I only liked the design.

The design for lv is so iconic that a part of luxury has to come into play as to why that person bought a replica because they could not afford the real thing.

also... the design is apart of the quality

Grew up with a disdain of fakes just from a cultural standpoint, but the older i get the more i realize how stupid it is. I walk past Canal street everyday and see all type of Louis, Gucci, Fendi etc etc bags, belts, scarves scattered all over the street just laying on the ground & it really puts things in perspective. **** really doesn't have value at all, yet we have poor people LITERALLY killing or taking legal risks, turning on their morals just to obtain these same things that 90% of people wouldn't be able to differentiate.

Also I think replicas get so much hate because people place so much value in being "better" than others. They wanna show they have the more expensive watch, the more expensive bag, coats etc etc & they like the treatment & aura that comes along with it, the majority of these people don't give a damn about the design or the history behind it, they care about the look & prestige associated with the item.

so when you spent thousands on something, & some random comes in with a replica but is getting the same reaction as the person with the authentic version it really has to be a blow. Because at some point you have to think of how stupid all of it really is & the fact that your paying a 10X markup for something that most people can't tell the difference in.

Also I think replicas get so much hate because people place so much value in being "better" than others. They wanna show they have the more expensive watch, the more expensive bag, coats etc etc & they like the treatment & aura that comes along with it, the majority of these people don't give a damn about the design or the history behind it, they care about the look & prestige associated with the item.

so when you spent thousands on something, & some random comes in with a replica but is getting the same reaction as the person with the authentic version it really has to be a blow. Because at some point you have to think of how stupid all of it really is & the fact that your paying a 10X markup for something that most people can't tell the difference in.

This the point I was trying to make.

Sone people like Luxury items, not because of the design or materials or functionality.

They like it because of the price gated class signalling. And they want everyone else to play along.

They are usually the ones who get the angriest.

I agree but it makes me wonder why you guys personally will never buy replicas?

If they look just the same and they’re cheaper, what’s stopping you from buying a replica?

Financially, it’s a better decision.
that's a great question. nowadays, i only buy about 4 or 5 pairs of nikes a year...max. i buy shoes that are on super sale or under retail from someone that owns a shop. i would assume the quality (longevity) of a real pair is at least a little better. and trust me, my wife has us on a budget so my purchases always have the cost in mind. other than shoes, i don't buy luxury brands anymore. sold/gave most of it away. i have 2 LV pocket tees from back in the day. that's it.

Back
Top Bottom