When did collecting J's turn into a hypebeast sport?

Originally Posted by Startin2Stack

Originally Posted by JJ Jumpman 23

Originally Posted by airedweezy

^^^I wonder what would of happen if the ray name and limited tag weren't connected to those

nike-outlet.jpg
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

True story. But hype is more addictive than crack 
devil.gif
devil.gif
maybe for you

Originally Posted by JJ Jumpman 23

Originally Posted by airedweezy

^^^I wonder what would of happen if the ray name and limited tag weren't connected to those

nike-outlet.jpg

roll.gif
Non OG colorway

Nike and JB attaching limited to anything causes craziness

Greed is what making buying shoes so different then when I was younger.

btw buying shoes is a not a sport nor a game.

Originally Posted by CWK

I would say 1996 with the original release of the XI.  Lines, shortages, hysteria, media for the first time.
Word. How about in 2001 though? The Cool Greys...

Breaking the glass and gushing through the mall down in Texas. Talk about Bumrush the Show...Straight insanity at a mall gate near you
eyes.gif

Man...but to me, the first Altitudes took the game to the level where it is today:

Crazy hype months in advance, "Midnight Releases" all over the place, and a bunch of stupid, over-sized sneaker-printed clothing to match.

The advent of SBs contributed as well...especially considering all of the hipsters who got sucked along into the JB game after they copped their first pair of Avengers with dudes in line rocking Flints and Steels and Twenty's and whatnot.

It's getting to the point where a bunch of snot-nosed fifteen year-olds with Justin Beiber bowl cuts, H&M striped sweatshirts, and skinny jeans patrolling the malls with Mommy's credit cards who "stunt on haters" are "running the game."

Man...the culture sure sucks right now
indifferent.gif

The Alts kicked it off. Even in '01 I was able to get my concords at 1 PM. Stroll in & out easy. I obviously have no chance at doing that again in 5 months. But yea it started with the Alts, IMO.

Originally Posted by KenJi714

Genius marketing and the simple law of demand/supply
THIS...I dont know why in 2011 you still have people that are surprised at the high prices of a limited shoe. TB IIIs were talked about a bunch on here and everywhere you look you see people with them. HBs have been on Jordans for a long time nad if some of you can't accept that then that's pretty surprising considering that they have been around for so long.

HBs are moving to Foams and snapbacks, but as far as this release (Ray Allens XIIIs), I feel that there are actual heads copping.

Seriously though, why are all of you guys buggin out at what the RA XIIIs are going for? They are limited and have a lot of demand, so go figure.

well, I started to collect AIR JORDANS since i missed out the orginal AJ 11 in 1996.
Missing them out made me really mad because they were my first Air Jordans which i liked

very much but my parents did not buy them because they disliked the design.

When i saved enough money, all mids were sold out, only avalaible were the

AJ XI low I.E. in black/red back then.

But my very first AJ were the playoff VIII from 1993. They great too and nowadays i

really regret that i didnt keep them.

I can't seem to fathom why cats collecting multiple pairs like 3 or 4 of the same shoe do that. Maybe its a investment down the road. You can use that money to buy stocks , CD's mutual funds if your looking to invest. But with all the retros coming out, and peeps not really caring about if a particular shoe has the "Nike Air" logo on it, seems to be a waste of hard earned money.

Originally Posted by kingk777

It's getting to the point where a bunch of snot-nosed fifteen year-olds with Justin Beiber bowl cuts, H&M striped sweatshirts, and skinny jeans patrolling the malls with Mommy's credit cards who "stunt on haters" are "running the game."

indifferent.gif
laugh.gif
reminds me of that stickie213 guy on youtube. It's so freaking annoying

yea culture sucks right now skinny jeans n js people need to get shot 1,000 for suth beachs yeezys? come on now that is hypebeast but collecting and lines and all that i would say the DMP pack kicked it off real crazy yeah OG cool greys every1 says people were lined up *!$@#++# I walked in finishline boom 2 pairs please and im gone 7 o clock at night in a mall those were the days.

it used to be about wearing the most technologically advanced and highest performing footwear possible on the court.

it wasn't about "collecting" poor quality fake versions of shoes with antiquated technology.

if your shoes have a jumpman where it's supposed to say nike air, blame yourself. if your closet is full of boxes with shoes you've never worn, blame yourself. if you've ever posted asking what shoe will look best with your new jeans, blame yourself.

Agreeing with hov and 160, it was about 8 years ago. There were a few times in between that i thought it might die down (2006-2007) retros started sitting for a bit. The cdps ruined this trend and with the exception of a few releases the hypw train has been going full speed.

Originally Posted by beerdrum108

Originally Posted by kingk777

indifferent.gif
laugh.gif
reminds me of that stickie213 guy on youtube. It's so freaking annoying
"It's stickie213, back again..."

Back from where...the Chucky Cheese ball-pit?

Tell me about it man...
grin.gif

Man...its some real salty ppl in here...btw the word hypebeast is soooo overused. I'm not even sure what it means anymore....ppl just call you that for anything they don't like nowadays

Man i been a sneaker freak since i was little but never had the bread and i think thats where it comes from because people like me that never could afford to get jordans when they were younger missed out on shoes that they wanted/liked so for me its not a sport at all its just me wanting to get the shoes i have always wanted by any means necessary and i don't do all that driving or camping if i happen to get them um happy if i miss them i chalk it to the game but the hypebeast are killing the art of collecting shoes cuz of resell prices smh 800 for the south beaches is still confusing to me cuz that shoe is ugly as F*** in my opinion

been in the game only about 8 months, but the way some kids go after whats "popular" and not what they really like is annoying. just buy whatever u like, simple as that
tired.gif

Back
Top Bottom