When did collecting J's turn into a hypebeast sport?

I've been collecting for 6 years now (not that long in comparison to many of you) but i feel like the game has changed dramatically. Now days i feel like EVERY shoe is so hyped which in-turn makes me like them less.
ohwell.gif

I miss when people would miss release dates and be heated.. but now days its impossible to miss a release with the hypebeasts bringing up releases 8+ months in advance!
laugh.gif

Anybody else feel the game has changed too much.. and slowly but surely its losing some significance..

Holla fam

Word. I've been doing this for about 11-12 years, and the whole culture is NOTHING like it was before.
I used to walk into outlets & see everything. (laney v, olive ix, etc.)
now all the fanboys are trying to be hip & trendy. 
laugh.gif

Hopefully, it ends soon. It has become a joke. 
tired.gif

Yeah, it sucks. All because of one word, "limited." Nike does this to every other release now and greedy resellers are everywhere.

I would say 1996 with the original release of the XI.  Lines, shortages, hysteria, media for the first time.

For me this is not a "game" or a sport. Nor do i see me apart of any culture, niche, or clique.

I happen to like air jordans, and some other sneakers. i buy the ones i want. then i wear them. very simple.

I dont obsess over this. i dont camp. i dont drive to other states for uber limited releases.

Let these so called hypebeasts do their own thing, and everyone else do the same.

Originally Posted by aphexacid

For me this is not a "game" or a sport. Nor do i see me apart of any culture, niche, or clique.

I happen to like air jordans, and some other sneakers. i buy the ones i want. then i wear them. very simple.

I dont obsess over this. i dont camp. i dont drive to other states for uber limited releases.

Let these so called hypebeasts do their own thing, and everyone else do the same.
This.  If Nike doesn't supply enough shoes that I can walk in the store and buy them on release day, then Nike doesn't get my money. 

Its not really a sport with all of the low quality trash releasing.

if this is a sport it seems like everyone is trying to be the smartest ******.

^^^ let me guess your collection only consist of 2003 and older stuff lol I still don't get why people act high and mighty yet when the 11s come out they look passed quality and don't get me started on the hypocrisy going on in the white cement 4 thread just buy what you wan when you want how you want and don't worry about a scene that was never a scene to start with! End rant

This is just my opinion but I think the OP meant "sport" as a figure of speech. However, in reference to his topic, I think everything started to change with Media exposure from Shoe websites and the emergence of Commerce sites like eBay and Craigslist where it made buying and flipping hot commodities that much easier. It doesn't take much nowadays for somebody in LA to sell some shoes to a collector/hypebeast in Sweden.......doesn't happen 12-15 years ago.

Thoughts??

Ideally, i just want 1 pair. but with some people buying more than 2 pairs to an excess of 5-10 pairs for reselling, it does make buying/collecting jordans competitive. Competing to spend $175 for release

OP, you been doing this about 6 years? The whole thing went to @**% about 8 years ago.

Originally Posted by cguy610

Originally Posted by aphexacid

This.  If Nike doesn't supply enough shoes that I can walk in the store and buy them on release day, then Nike doesn't get my money. 

well said

apparently it "officially" started from an online standpoint in what 2006 or so? and has really kicked into high gear since 08 with those packs dropping.

Man, honestly if they are "Hypebeast" they shouldn't be enough of 'em to buy all the Jordan's.
IMHO if you're a true Collector, Shoe Head, etc...

You already should have an advantage over those "Fake Jordan Heads".

Release Dates, Retail Price, whether they are a GR, LS, QS, LE, whatever.

Also, if you miss out you know where to find 'em.

IF you miss out on a pair, that's 'cause you were SLACKING!

I buy what I like, and that's final.

Give a %#^@ what anyone else thinks!

I would say 1996 with the original release of the XI. Lines, shortages, hysteria, media for the first time.

LOL @ this in 96 the XI's were sitting on clearance racks it all started in 99 then it just grew into madness when they started to drop the XI's in 2000 n beyond

Originally Posted by airedweezy

The answer to your question is in the ray Allen 13 thread smh!
laugh.gif
 i don't even plan on going in that thread. I know it's full of clowns that instantly became a RA fan after he hit that mark. Shoe is such a bad CW. 

^^^I wonder what would of happen if the ray name and limited tag weren't connected to those

Back
Top Bottom