When Did You Start Building Your Credit?

D

Deleted member 87369

I'm 19 and looking to start building my credit. How old when you when you got your first credit card?

I'm 19 and looking to start building my credit. How old when you when you got your first credit card?

I was 19. The best way is through your bank. I went in after losing my debit card, and having an account for a few years, a job, and actual money inside it were the deciding factors.

I'm 20 now and my credit is like 670 :pimp:

a couple months after i turned 18. i'm happy i started when i did, i have friends who didn't try to start until they were around 21, and they had a hard time getting a credit card.

Around 12 I got put on my parents cards. that helped my credit score a good amount.

Last edited:
27. :smh: I thought that it was always better to only buy things with the money I had (still do think its a bad idea) but we are almost forced to have/need credit in this day and age so I gave in and got a CC through my credit union.

imo saving early especially in long term saving plans >>> getting a CC early but either way its good to see you're thinking about your future at an early age OP and others in this thread.

Same here. Just got mine a few months back. First i applied to retail stores and my bank, they all denied me cuz i had no credit and wasn't on the grid. Went to capital one and got one of their prepaid cards to build credit, now im getting card offers in the mail.
My advice for anyone starting off is open a second checking account and whatever amount u purchase with your card move that same amount immediately the same day to the new checking acct and use that acct to pay your balance in full a few days before the due date. You'll build credit in no time and never pay interest.
But never, ever withdraw from this acct. the fact that you're moving the money you're using as credit right away should set a good barrier to not go over your spending limits.

Same here. Just got mine a few months back. First i applied to retail stores and my bank, they all denied me cuz i had no credit and wasn't on the grid. Went to capital one and got one of their prepaid cards to build credit, now im getting card offers in the mail.
My advice for anyone starting off is open a second checking account and whatever amount u purchase with your card move that same amount immediately the same day to the new checking acct and use that acct to pay your balance in full a few days before the due date. You'll build credit in no time and never pay interest.
But never, ever withdraw from this acct. the fact that you're moving the money you're using as credit right away should set a good barrier to not go over your spending limits.

That's actually what I did. Except I always had a balance of at least $100 on it no matter what, just in case I need some emergency money.

about 7-8 months ago :lol:

got 4 cards under my name. gonna stay with those 4 for the next year and see where im at next summer.

18 yrs old.

Nothing wrong with CCs just be responsible

Last edited:
i got a 400000 dollar loan waiting for me...

never had a credit card , never wanted one....

credit is for those wanting to live The American dream, whatever that means.

if you cant buy two you cant afford it... simple mathematics

I don't want a credit card at all..
I'm not ready don't think ill ever be bout that life
Icant **** wit it if I aint got it I aint got it

17; best thing I ever did

I was always responsible with credit so I have excellent credit because of it

18. Still remember my first day of college and every major credit card company had a table in the court yard for a week, :smh: lines of dumb *** kids such as myself just filling out every application. :lol:

you try too hard famb. :smh:

Dumbest thing I've heard today

17; best thing I ever did

I was always responsible with credit so I have excellent credit because of it

Did you have to get your parents to help you get it? I plan to start building my credit soon, but not sure if I can get it.

Ha credit in started credit when i was able to obtain a credit card and its been a down hill relationship #yolo come at me collection agency's

Back
Top Bottom