When he retires, what arena will his number be hanging in Vol. Jason Kidd

Jason Kidd is great and is one of the greatest PG's of all time, and he played for a few teams. What team do you think will retire his number? I think the Nets might and should retire his number because how he turned that club around from being garbage to the best team in the east in his first season there, or maybe the Mavs since they won a championship and he started with that team and will probably retire from that team.

Discuss.

Originally Posted by CJ616

Mavs.  Drafted there, and won a ring there. 

pimp.gif

It should only be the Mavs - you don't get your jersey retired everywhere just because you were successful later in your career - it's for accomplishments with that team.

Although there is precedent for having your number retired with another team too - Chuck and Wilt both have that.

^ Even though he took a bottom of the barrel franchise and not only made them relevant but took them to back to back finals appearances and they fell from grace the moment he left?

Dude was never ever close to having his prime year on the Mavs, #%%+ outta here.  Jason Kidd is a Net.

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

^ Even though he took a bottom of the barrel franchise and not only made them relevant but took them to back to back finals appearances and they fell from grace the moment he left?

+1 IDK what some of you are thinking saying only Dallas.

Um, no matter what, BK Jersey, Long Island etc etc. The Nets and Mavs will retire his jersey.

No one has worn 5 since he left and no one will. He took one of the worst franchises on a 7 year run it may never see again even with D-Will possibly re-signing down the road. I kinda find it funny that some would say he would not have it in Jersey. That will be a big part of Brooklyn when he retires.

Nets and Mavs will retire his number. He took them to their only two modern era Finals and should have gotten an MVP in 2001.

The real question is WHAT NUMBER will he get retired in Dallas? #5 or #2? I'm hoping 5.

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

I'd have to agree,

But once the franchise moves to Brooklyn they'll forget.

Just look at OKC.

I think that part of OKC's deal when leaving was that they had to leave the Supersonics' history in Seattle.

And I agree Kidd's number should be retired with the Nets and Dallas.

As someone who has been a big Mavs fan for both of Jason Kidd's runs his number shouldn't be retired in Dallas.

People overrate his accomplishments and impact while playing for the Mavs because we just won a championship.

Kidd actually deserves to have the Suns retire his number as well.

He was selected to 3 straight All-NBA 1st Teams as a member of the Suns. Can you find a retired player who was a 3-time All-NBA 1st Team selection for one team and didn't get his number retired by that team?

Also, Phoenix has retired numbers of players who accomplished less in a Suns uniform, such as Connie Hawkins.  Connie Hawkins played 4 seasons for the Suns (same as Kidd), he was named to the All-NBA 1st team only once as a Sun (3 times for Kidd), and he never won a playoff series with the Suns (Kidd won 1 playoff series with the Suns).

Back
Top Bottom