When he retires, what arena will his number be hanging in Vol. Jason Kidd

Kidd took the Nets to the Finals twice, his jersey has to be hung there. Dallas will do it too.

But on a serious note, Nets definitely... Not sure about the mavs, he did work in NJ, almost won MVP, should of won it actually. But up until the Mavs won the ship the trade for him seemed like a failed experiment, he was a solid contributor, but wasn't the man, when we look back at this championship team I'm going to remember Dirk and Terry in the clutch, Kidd is going to be an after though. Not to take away from Kidd's accomplishments hes an amazing player. but imo it would be like chicago retiring Dennis Rodman's jersey

Not to take away from Kidd's accomplishments hes an amazing player. but imo it would be like chicago retiring Dennis Rodman's jersey

No.

Dallas brought Kidd in as a rookie, and then he's come back home to retire.

Rodman winning three isn't quite the same. Rodman was only there three seasons.

Kidd will have played six full seasons with Dallas, and two separate partial seasons (when he left in 96-97, and when he came here in 07-08.

What number in Dallas?

It should be New Jersey definitely. Can't decide about Dallas though.

i'll leave it at this, prior to jason kidd joining new jersey, the nets had only won 1 playoff series ever since the nba/aba merger in 1976 and that was way back in 1984.

first season with the nets they go to the finals with jason kidd arguably being the 2001-02 mvp

second season kidd continued to play at a very high level, the nets dominated the east in the playoffs and gave the spurs the toughest run out of any team in the 03 playoffs.

the nets made the playoffs every full season jason kidd was a member of that team. every one of those seasons except 04-05 they made it past the first round as well. prior to kidd arriving, the nets were a team used to sneaking in the playoffs once every 4 or 5 years as an 8 seed when the east would have a down year prior to jason kidd arriving and this has been the case post jason kidd as well.

jason kidd put the nets on the map during his 6 and a half year tenure with them. his jersey deserves to be retired in new jersey without a doubt.

The Mavs debate is an interesting one and I'll have to join in on the group that says they should retire his number. As far as whether they should retire #5 or #2, I would say #2 just b/c it's what he wore when the Mavs won their very 1st championship.

His prime was NJ, but that doesn't matter to guys like Kidd. His career began in Dallas and ended (will end) in Dallas with a Championship. Poetic almost. He's a Maverick.

nets and suns definitely and ill even give it to him for the mavs as well with the way he improved his outside shooting and the way he was playing d in the playoffs. one of the best pgs ever.

Originally Posted by BRaTZ DoS

Heat
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Originally Posted by do work son

Trelvis Tha Thrilla wrote:

that sounds so flawed. he was absolutely ballin for the nets. those playoff runs though? gotta go dallas and new jersey.

6 years in NJ, 3 years in DAL. he just happened to win a ring this year. if he didn't win a ring this year and retired, i think more people would identify him with NJ for his career
J Kidd has played more than 3 years in Dallas.

you're right. his first 2 or 3 plus the last 3 consecutive. but i guess that proves my point with me completely forgetting his first stint in dallas...or maybe im just dumb
ohwell.gif
tired.gif

You're just dumb he won Co Rookie of the year with Grant Hill while guiding them to a 23 win improvement from the previous year, averaged damn near a double double with assist & points in his 2nd (averaging damn near 17, 10, & 7) & 3rd year and was an all star in 96 was traded midway though 96-97. He's started their resurgane in the NBA.. Kidd's  been doing work since his Junior year in h.s. bro every single stop.

2nd best pg of all time behind Magic IMO.

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

you're right. his first 2 or 3 plus the last 3 consecutive. but i guess that proves my point with me completely forgetting his first stint in dallas...or maybe im just dumb
ohwell.gif
tired.gif

You're just dumb he won Co Rookie of the year with Grant Hill while guiding them to a 23 win improvement from the previous year, averaged damn near a double double with assist & points in his 2nd (averaging damn near 17, 10, & 7) & 3rd year and was an all star in 96 was traded midway though 96-97. He's started their resurgane in the NBA.. Kidd's  been doing work since his Junior year in h.s. bro every single stop.

Yup, J. Kidd was beasting for the Mavs back in the day. Thats when I started going to Mavs games with my pops. Was so mad when the 3 J's got broken up.

Some people really grossly overvalue a ring.  J Kidd's worst years were as a Maverick, I find it laughable that anyone thinks his number should be retired there.

3 All-NBA Team's with the Suns>>>>>>>>>Anything he did with the Mavs

If Dallas retires his number, they should retire number 5. . . Why not just retire his jersey in all 3 places? Phoenix and New Jersey makes the most sense to me, but I think Dallas has to also because of him starting and finishing(probably) there along with winning a ring.

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

ohwell.gif
tired.gif

in my defense, i was 5 when he came into the league
ohwell.gif

Well that just means you were ignorant of his work (ignorant in the literal sense meaning lacking knowledge) ... That's All.

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

Not to take away from Kidd's accomplishments hes an amazing player. but imo it would be like chicago retiring Dennis Rodman's jersey

No.

Dallas brought Kidd in as a rookie, and then he's come back home to retire.

Rodman winning three isn't quite the same. Rodman was only there three seasons.

Kidd will have played six full seasons with Dallas, and two separate partial seasons (when he left in 96-97, and when he came here in 07-08.
Im not saying Dallas isn't going to I believe 100% Cuban is retiring that jersey, but I was using the fact that he was just a solid contributor on a championship team.

Cuban hasn't owned the Mavs forever while they only retired two, and with him running the show at this point I believe Nowitzki, Terry, and Kidd are going up.

I actually think all three squads should retire his number as a testament to how much he affected the game and how amazing he was at being a floor general and made his teams better. 

Look at Shaq, he was on how many different squads, which ones did he make better?  And he was the most dominant post player of our generation.  Nobody is asking which of 5 teams is going to retire his jersey...  And i know its because he didn't make his teams better.

Back
Top Bottom