Where Do You Rank Rajon Rondo?

Originally Posted by HANNSUM

LOL@ dudes putting westbrook over Rondo as a point guard... wow

as a player westbrook is better and more dangerous cause he has more skills, as a pointguard hell no..

I still think Nash is better and rondo really isn't a good scorer so I would put westbrook ahead of him too.

Of course Rose, cp3 and d will are there too

Making rondo top 6

Originally Posted by thesimplestlife

Originally Posted by eNPHAN
they weren't always that crispy??? didn't they win the championship the year they got kg and ray? I am not debating that rondo is an elite pg, hell, i don't think anyone debates that. The debate centers around the rankings of them. As it stands now, as most people would agree, Rondo is not at the level of rose, willams, and paul. You can make an argument for Rondo vs. Nash because of age, but all else being equal, Nash > Rondo. I've always hated that idea of positions having set responsibilities. If Rose played like Rondo, the bulls wouldn't be half the team they are. A point guards (and any player for that matter) real responsibilities are determined by what the team needs, not by what some people think are established roles. It's real easy to look great when you're playing with great players. Really, if Rondo could do the things these other guys are doing (rose, willams, paul, even westbrook), he would, because he has all the space to do it. He cannot attack like rose or willams, nor is he as quick as Rose. To be honest, I don't see why there's a debate here. I thought it was pretty unanimous that Rose, Paul,  and Willams were the best pgs in the league. Rondo was going to play behind Rose if he had chosen to stay for the FIBA world championships--it's that simple.

regardless of if you agree or not, there ARE responsibilites and a skillset for each position

the ability to possess and excell at responsibilities and skillsets NOT required for each position is what makes a player great.

im not saying rondo is as good an overall player than any of those guys, cause he's not..

but as far as the position of POINT GUARD goes, he's dropping more dimes than anybody else...

ftr, nash is way better than rondo, i hold nash above most of the point guards named...his game is much more complete.

i think the greatest aspect of ANY player in ANY sport is the ability to make your teammates better...

nash definitely makes scrubs (shawn marion?) all-star caliber players...

we can't say rondo is doing the same, because, his teammates are already all-star caliber

but its beyond unfair to say 'anybody could do that if they played for the celtics"

their backups dont do it

up until this year, he wasnt even doing it...

what he is doing is valuable, ESPECIALLY since he's a PG

if rondo was a SF or a SG, then his offensive scoring capabilities come in question

he's a point guard....technically  a point guard doesnt even have to score a single bucket to be an effective point guard.

take this argument for example

a scrambling quarterback who gets 2500 yards in a season is a BEAST...

amazing stats....

but if you wanna argue from a QUARTERBACK standpoint, a position thats supposed to stay in the pocket and distribute the ball to his teammates in skilled positions, maybe the running QB isnt the BEST QUARTERBACK per that definition...

but he's STILL more TALENTED and SKILLED than other PURE quarterbacks...

rondo is like the dan marino of basketball....a statue in the pocket, touch him with your breath and he falls over for a sack, but damn if he wont excell at the definition of the position; distribute the ball to teammates.

that's my argument.

as a player? sure, he's way down the list....as a POINT GUARD, i think he's at the top or near the top....

Originally Posted by TheGoldenChild

Originally Posted by HANNSUM

LOL@ dudes putting westbrook over Rondo as a point guard... wow

as a player westbrook is better and more dangerous cause he has more skills, as a pointguard hell no..

my argument.

we'll see how good Rondo really is when the "Big 3" retire in a couple years

Originally Posted by bakedFresh707

he'll prolly still move the ball well, if not better...

his scoring can only improve...

but, his assists WILL go down if the replacements cant hit wide open shots....

he'll suffer from Lebron-in-cleveland-syndrome.....

I take nothing away from Rondo I just feel like he's on the perfect team to complement his skills for the way he plays and has the perfect players around him to make him look as good as he's looking right now.

Let's say you just put him on the Raptors right now, how much better does he make that team? Because the other 5 PGs I have in front of him would probably take any team to the playoffs..

He is the one who has added a few years to their careers in Boston.  If they draft/sign FA's with some sort of intelligence, I doubt his numbers would drop off that much.  Maybe his PPG goes up.  The rebounding, defense and excellent floor vision aren't going away.

Originally Posted by Proshares

He is the one who has added a few years to their careers in Boston.  If they draft/sign FA's with some sort of intelligence, I doubt his numbers would drop off that much.  Maybe his PPG goes up.  The rebounding, defense and excellent floor vision aren't going away.

This.

Folks just look at stats instead of watching the actual games.  Rondo is PUTTING these guys in perfect position to score.  Case in point...on the ORL game on Sunday, dude drew 3 defenders at the hoop...and passed the ball out to Ray Allen who was unguarded for the open shot.  This is the norm w. Rondo.  He is what you want in PG.  Folks are trying TOO hard to discredit the job he does because of the "Big 3."  He's the single most important part of that team.  Take Rondo off that squad and have Nate running the show full-time and they wouldn't have nearly the success like they've had.  He's an amazing player, and IMO would be putting up 10+ assists no matter WHO he played with. 

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

This.

Folks just look at stats instead of watching the actual games.  Rondo is PUTTING these guys in perfect position to score.  Case in point...on the ORL game on Sunday, dude drew 3 defenders at the hoop...and passed the ball out to Ray Allen who was unguarded for the open shot.  This is the norm w. Rondo.  He is what you want in PG.  Folks are trying TOO hard to discredit the job he does because of the "Big 3."  He's the single most important part of that team.  Take Rondo off that squad and have Nate running the show full-time and they wouldn't have nearly the success like they've had.  He's an amazing player, and IMO would be putting up 10+ assists no matter WHO he played with. 
Although Rondo is the most important person on the Celtics, they are still are good team without him (probably top 4 in the east). You cannot say as much for the other teams with the "elite" top pgs (chicago, utah, new orleans). Your insistence of actually watching games may hurt your argument more than help it. Example: Rose is actually better than his stats make him out to be, as he carries his team, and probably would get more assists if surrounded by better scorers (paul pierce) and shooters (ray allen). There is a reason why most people and analysts consider Rose, Willams, and Paul better pgs than Rondo. It's not because people don't like Rondo, but rather because these guys are actually better than him. If these guys played like Rondo on their own teams, their teams would actually be worse. When all you have to do is pass to people who can consistently score, your responsibilities are minimized. 
o

This.

Although Rondo is the most important person on the Celtics, they are still are good team without him (probably top 4 in the east). o

see, i think they're not that good without him. definitely cant beat any elite team....who's gonna handle the ball? DELONTE WEST?

Originally Posted by eNPHAN

This.

Although Rondo is the most important person on the Celtics, they are still are good team without him (probably top 4 in the east). o

see, i think they're not that good without him. definitely cant beat any elite team....who's gonna handle the ball? DELONTE WEST?
even though i think they are still a good team, I'll play along. Lets say we take Rondo off the celtics, and they aren't a good team. Are they still not better than the bulls without rose, or the jazz without willams, or the hornets without paul? They probably are. Although I know this only proves value, it is hard to actually use any "ifs" to measure how good some players are.

he makes the team run tho, moreso than rose or williams.....id say paul is the best of the three to compare him to, but even then, youre underestimating the way rondo moves the offense...

it all runs through him....every single time...he always has the ball in his hands until its time for a shot, then he gives to to a MYSTERIOUSLY wide open old, but effective all-star...

ray allen paul peirce and kevin garnett cannot outhoop players of this generation...they're too old...

rondo literally hand-delivers shots to these players...of the 3, paul peirce would be least affected by rondo not being there...

those players cannot consistantly outscore their opponents in a one-on-one game...

so what rondo does, SOMEHOW, he gets these guys open shots...you have to attribute that to him...and you cant take that away from him...

nobody in the history of the NBA has been able to do what he's done this year....

not rose

not williams

not paul

not nash

certainly not anybody else on the celtics roster (since "ANYBODY" could do it on the celtics roster)

look, his game is limited, its not very pretty, and if you wanted to be a fan of a point guard in the NBA there are MANY more exciting than rondo

but to discredit him and put other players above him that

a.) dont win as much as he does

b.) dont facilitate the offense through assists as much as he does

c.) dont play defense as hard as he does

d.) lead the team ON THE FLOOR the way he does

is unfair to rondo and really, unfair to the sport...

he's anti-flash

he's the tim duncan of point guards...

This.

Although Rondo is the most important person on the Celtics, they are still are good team without him (probably top 4 in the east). You cannot say as much for the other teams with the "elite" top pgs (chicago, utah, new orleans). Your insistence of actually watching games may hurt your argument more than help it. Example: Rose is actually better than his stats make him out to be, as he carries his team, and probably would get more assists if surrounded by better scorers (paul pierce) and shooters (ray allen). There is a reason why most people and analysts consider Rose, Willams, and Paul better pgs than Rondo. It's not because people don't like Rondo, but rather because these guys are actually better than him. If these guys played like Rondo on their own teams, their teams would actually be worse. When all you have to do is pass to people who can consistently score, your responsibilities are minimized. 
o

And with Rondo, they are the best team in the Eastern Conference.  You're right, you can't say the same thing about Chicago or Utah or New Orleans.  But Chicago is still a playoff team in the weak EC and still have an elite scoring big in Boozer and the 2nd best defensive/passing big man in Noah.  Big drop off but still a playoff team.  Utah and New Orleans are teams that were built extremely poorly around their starting PG's.  There was a ton of money spent on low level quality players or players who have become low level quality.  Rose is better than his stats are for sure and maybe he gets more assists with a Pierce and Allen on his team.

But the Celtics are built around a strong defensive system that revolves around KG and Rondo.  Rondo keeps opposing PG's at bay and out of the paint for the most part saving Pierce/Allen/KG's legs and making sure they're only watching their main guy.  Rose would not be able to do that at all.  Rondo and Rose both get to the basket with ease but for the most part Rondo gets down there looking to facilitate open shots for the other 3 while Rose is basically looking to score down there.

It's apples and oranges with those two.  If you switch their places, both teams struggle.  Rondo can't score and carry the team offensively like Rose does.  Rose can't defend, rebound and control the passing lanes/open floor like Rondo does.  Not a knock on either guy, they are both on the best team for their skills.

Originally Posted by srvballer

1. Dwill
2. CP3
3. Rose
4. Nash
5. Westbrook
6. Rondo
YUP!

in a few years John Wall will join this list and maybe Tyreek Evans (more of a 2 IMO)

Originally Posted by brandonb2005

Originally Posted by srvballer

1. Dwill
2. CP3
3. Rose
4. Nash
5. Westbrook
6. Rondo
YUP!

in a few years John Wall will join this list and maybe Tyreek Evans (more of a 2 IMO)

eek.gif
You can't be serious. And I'm not talking about the spelling.

Back
Top Bottom