Where does Gary Payton rank among the all time great point guards?

Originally Posted by MrDills

Had a chance to [play with Payton at 24 hour fitness in Las vegas. Great guy.
Yeah. I used to be neighbors with his mother and father in law. I met him when they were having a party...cool dude. This was during the offseasonbefore he signed with the Lakers. He told me that he was leaning that way. I also played basketball a little bit with one of his kids, just shooting around.There is no doubting where he got his confidence from.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by FRANCHISE 55

But it was towards the END of his career. Kidd was on three teams during the PRIME of his career. Someone who people consider to be one of the best PGs of all time was traded twice during the prime of his career.

I don't buy the whole notion of arguing that because Kidd was traded in the prime of his career that should be something to look at......Barkley was tradedin his prime, so was Kareem, etc etc....at the end of the day, basketball is still a business...I don't see the trades as that big of a deal.

<--------- The Glove is obviously my favorite of all time, but if you were really to rank him then top 10 would be appropriate. Just like most of you guysstated, the top 5 is a lock and anything after is up for grabs.

I can never forget how ticked Jordan got when GP was sticking him. That's also the only time I've ever rooted against Jordan; when my Sonics met thoseBulls in the Finals.

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Originally Posted by FRANCHISE 55

But it was towards the END of his career. Kidd was on three teams during the PRIME of his career. Someone who people consider to be one of the best PGs of all time was traded twice during the prime of his career.

I don't buy the whole notion of arguing that because Kidd was traded in the prime of his career that should be something to look at......Barkley was traded in his prime, so was Kareem, etc etc....at the end of the day, basketball is still a business...I don't see the trades as that big of a deal.
exactly, basketball is a business. just a couple years back, we saw that the Lakers were going to trade Kobe, that doesn't mean Paul Pierce> Kobe. it's just two different guys in two different situations with different management.

i don't see how it's a knock on Kidd that he was traded. there's a price for every player, and each time Kidd's name came up the right pricewas named.

all these top 10 greatest ever, is all garbage. it's different era's and the game is played differently. so why would you say that zeke, magic or oscaris better than GP? cause they have championships? i mean if you look at it like that do you consider derek fisher better than kidd or payton? no, so it'snot fair to rate players based on the era that they're playing in.

i mean why do people say jordan was the greatest ever to play the game? he won 6 championships, was a perennial allstar, mvp, gold medalist. so what? when kobeand lebron are done with their career, they might have better numbers, more mvp's and championships. then who is to say that mj is still the greatest ever?kobe is breaking most of his scoring records now.

and kidd, i used to love him. but i lost a lot of respect for him. he's been in the league since '95 and still is not even a good shooter. everyonewill say that's not part of his game. so expanding your game is not something he should do? all the great players come back the following year with someimprovement. kidd's weakest part of his game was and still is his shooting. why can't he get better at that?

Originally Posted by TheYoungestGun

all these top 10 greatest ever, is all garbage. it's different era's and the game is played differently. so why would you say that zeke, magic or oscar is better than GP? cause they have championships? i mean if you look at it like that do you consider derek fisher better than kidd or payton? no, so it's not fair to rate players based on the era that they're playing in.

i mean why do people say jordan was the greatest ever to play the game? he won 6 championships, was a perennial allstar, mvp, gold medalist. so what? when kobe and lebron are done with their career, they might have better numbers, more mvp's and championships. then who is to say that mj is still the greatest ever? kobe is breaking most of his scoring records now.

and kidd, i used to love him. but i lost a lot of respect for him. he's been in the league since '95 and still is not even a good shooter. everyone will say that's not part of his game. so expanding your game is not something he should do? all the great players come back the following year with some improvement. kidd's weakest part of his game was and still is his shooting. why can't he get better at that?
his FG % has been pretty average for his career. Not everyone can be a scorer on a team. You need a distributor and he was by far the best in hisera. Dont feel like searching the stats, but if you look at his attempts compared to the others, im pretty sure hed be on the lower end of it.

And im pretty sure he's shooting the best 3pt% of his career now...

I would say top 5, because he's was my favorite player growing up and I'm bias. However it's top 10. Hated watching him play for the Heat though, @least he got the ring.

GP was the man!

all these top 10 greatest ever, is all garbage. it's different era's and the game is played differently. so why would you say that zeke, magic or oscar is better than GP? cause they have championships? i mean if you look at it like that do you consider derek fisher better than kidd or payton? no, so it's not fair to rate players based on the era that they're playing in.

i mean why do people say jordan was the greatest ever to play the game? he won 6 championships, was a perennial allstar, mvp, gold medalist. so what? when kobe and lebron are done with their career, they might have better numbers, more mvp's and championships. then who is to say that mj is still the greatest ever? kobe is breaking most of his scoring records now.

and kidd, i used to love him. but i lost a lot of respect for him. he's been in the league since '95 and still is not even a good shooter. everyone will say that's not part of his game. so expanding your game is not something he should do? all the great players come back the following year with some improvement. kidd's weakest part of his game was and still is his shooting. why can't he get better at that?
alien.gif

alien.gif

Originally Posted by bigtimejerky

his FG % has been pretty average for his career. Not everyone can be a scorer on a team. You need a distributor and he was by far the best in his era. Dont feel like searching the stats, but if you look at his attempts compared to the others, im pretty sure hed be on the lower end of it.

And im pretty sure he's shooting the best 3pt% of his career now...

i know not everyone can be a scorer on the team, but kidd can at least improve his shooting on a yearly basis... that's been his weakness as a player hisentire career.

i'm sorry for those that i have offended, i know everyone has a man crush on MJ

huh?
you answered your own question. people say jordan is the greatest to ever play the game because he PLAYED the game and he conquered it. 6-0 in the finals to go along with 6 finals mvp, 5 league mvp's and all the other stuff. so what? does that not amount to anything? not a lot of people can hold a candle to his credentials. this guy was a winner.

i love hypotheticals - kobe and lebron are not done with their careers, and they do not have better numbers, mvp's or championships. so until that does happen, i don't think you can compare the three players. on top of that, scoring records don't mean jack. tony delk smashed scottie pippen's career high of 47, does that make him a better player?
laugh.gif

and kidd, i used to love him. but i lost a lot of respect for him. he's been in the league since '95 and still is not even a good shooter. everyone will say that's not part of his game. so expanding your game is not
something he should do? all the great players come back the following year with some improvement. kidd's weakest part of his game was and still is his shooting. why can't he get better at that?

do you disrespect duncan for his abysmal free throw shooting? what about shaq? jordan's 3 point shooting was erratic throughout his career, do you disrespect him too?
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

Top 10

Magic Johnson
John Stockton
Oscar Robertson
Jason Kidd
Walt Frazier
Gary Payton
Lenny Wilkens
Allen Iverson
Maurice Cheeks
Bob Cousy

I don't even know what to say right now.
laugh.gif

ALL the damn sh*^ you give me about that bum Nash and for years I say he's not even an elite PG in the history of this game, and for once you agree withme?
eek.gif

All I need now is for Clutch to come in and co-sign you and Ima pass out.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by CP1708

Top 10

Magic Johnson
John Stockton
Oscar Robertson
Jason Kidd
Walt Frazier
Gary Payton
Lenny Wilkens
Allen Iverson
Maurice Cheeks
Bob Cousy

I don't even know what to say right now.
laugh.gif

ALL the damn sh*^ you give me about that bum Nash and for years I say he's not even an elite PG in the history of this game, and for once you agree with me?
eek.gif

All I need now is for Clutch to come in and co-sign you and Ima pass out.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

See the thing is you guys question Nash's ability and career. I don't question his ability

Nash is Kurt Warner, I can't put you in the top 10 for like 3 elite point guard seasons.

Top 10

Magic Johnson
John Stockton
Oscar Robertson
Jason Kidd
Walt Frazier
Gary Payton
Lenny Wilkens
Allen Iverson
Maurice Cheeks
Bob Cousy
Allen Iverson
eyes.gif

He may be short like a PG but he's no PG.

Where is Isiah Thomas?
nerd.gif

Back
Top Bottom