Where to Start? Vol. New Comic reader here.

So I just got hold of the entire Marvel Civil War series. I'm looking for another series to throw onto the iPad to keep me busy.
Any suggestions? preferably X-Men or Deadpool titles. Thanks in advance!

I would suggest Avengers, Spiderman, JLA, and some X-Men to get started into comics, and then from there you will have room to grow and get deeper into more series.

But these are the basic series that I think everyone should be familiar with.

And of course Batman. I'm not sure what you can get on the iPad so I don't know what series to specifically suggest. I still go to the comic book shop
ohwell.gif

When i first started reading deadpool i started with Deadpool and Cable tradeback. its pretty cool.

New Amazing Spider-Man storyline just started called "Spider Island", check that out. Along with Uncanny X-Force. X-men too started a new story arc which will eventually lead a split of the X-Men between Wolverine and Cyclops.

With marvel I suggest: Eutopia, House of M, Ultimate Spider-man, World War hulk.

DC: kingdom come, batman: the long Halloween, Batman hush

I also highly suggest you check out a comic book called Invincable it's not from Marvel or DC it's published by BOOM studios and it's hands down my favorite comic to read at the moment. Quick summary with out spoiling anything is that A superman like superhero that has powers like super strength, flight, heat vision etc etc. Just snaps one day and goes crazy and starts killing and destroying everyone and everything and a group kind of like the JUstice League is trying to find a way to stop and kill him before he kills all of them.

Hope I helped.

I know you said X-Men or Deadpool, but you should definitely read these Batman comics:

The Dark Knight Returns
Arkham Asylum
The Killing Joke
Year One

Originally Posted by illmatic34

I know you said X-Men or Deadpool, but you should definitely read these Batman comics:

The Dark Knight Returns
Arkham Asylum
The Killing Joke
Year One
These are all awesome. Also, DC is relaunching a TON of new titles this September. It's the perfect time to jump in the game without having to worry about back issuing.

• Action Comics #1
  • All-Star Western #1
  • Animal Man #1
  • Aquaman #1
  • Batgirl #1
  • Batman #1
  • Batman & Robin #1
  • Batman: The Dark Knight #1
  • Batwing #1
  • Batwoman #1
  • Birds Of Prey #1
  • Blackhawks #1
  • Blue Beetle #1
  • Captain Atom #1
  • Catwoman #1
  • DC Universe Presents #1
  • Deathstroke #1
  • Demon Knights #1
  • Detective Comics #1
  • Frankenstein, Agent of Shade #1
  • Green Arrow #1
  • Green Lantern #1
  • Green Lantern Corps #1
  • Green Lantern: The New Guardians #1
  • Grifter #1
  • Hawk & Dove #1
  • I, Vampire #1
  • Justice League #1
  • Justice League Dark #1
  • Justice League International #1
  • Legion Lost #1
  • Legion of Super-Heroes #1
  • Mister Terrific #1
  • Nightwing #1
  • OMAC #1
  • Red Hood and the Outlaws #1
  • Red Lanterns #1
  • Resurrection Man #1
  • Sgt. Rock and the Men of War #1
  • Static Shock #1
  • Stormwatch #1
  • Suicide Squad #1
  • Superboy #1
  • Supergirl #1
  • Superman: The Man of Tomorrow #1
  • Swamp Thing #1
  • Teen Titans #1
  • The Flash #1
  • The Fury of Firestorm #1
  • The Savage Hawkman #1
  • Voodoo #1
  • Wonder Woman #1
All the bolded will be copped for sure.
pimp.gif

Thank you guys..., Just got Deadpool: Merc with a mouth and might look into those DC titles too. Lobo any background on the Batman #1?

Originally Posted by ATLien Seeko

I feel like comics would waste SO much time and money.

It'd rather not.

Sleep less, earn more money. /problem.

JRA-

No real background on Batman #1

bm_cv11.jpg

BATMAN #1
Written by SCOTT SNYDER;

Art by GREG CAPULLO and JONATHAN GLAPION;

Cover by GREG CAPULLO;

Variant cover by ETHAN VAN SCIVER

Be here for the start of a new era for The Dark Knight from writer Scott Snyder (AMERICAN VAMPIRE, BATMAN: GATES OF GOTHAM) and artist Greg Capullo (Spawn)! A series of brutal killings hints at an ancient conspiracy, and Batman learns that Gotham City is deadlier than he knew.

DC Universe 32pg. Color $2.99 US

On Sale September 21, 2011

OK

Since you read civil war Lets do marvel first

Read

House of M
Civil War
Dark Reign
The Siege
Fear itself

are the main events. Read those and you will get a good veiw of the marvel world
Read Ultimate spider-man its a amazing series 

For dc............

Its kinda harder so just pick a book a follow it but if you wanna batman the

Battle for the Cowl then Batman & Red Robin

Singles

Superman Red Son
Superman Secret Identy
Batman Dark Knight Returns

Here is the list of books you should read asap:

Ultimates vol 1 and 2 (basically all the marvel movies are based off this...including Samuel l jackson as nick fury)
Ultimate Xmen vol 1-3
Daredevil (Guardian devil and the newer stuff with brubaker)
Criminal
Sleeper
The Walking Dead
the current Xforce is sick
Punisher (garth ennis)

Y the last man ...insanely good
Fables...another fave of mine

side story.. old man logan was dope..
deadpool and cable..
world war hulk
planet hulk

yeah I highly recommend The Walking Dead, only comic I follow.

I also started with Civil War a few years back, and I read a couple Batmans.
I enjoyed The Watchmen too. You can also buy/find older collected editions/volumes online for cheaps

Old man logan was another creation of mark millar btw. He wrote ultimates, civil war, old man logan, wanted, and kick @%+ andso much more. Def one of my faves. Ed brubaker is also good. Oh yeahhh check out PLANETARY by warren ellis. Itll blow your mind. I feel lile the newer big events are just rehashes of the past stuff. Dc is going crazy with their reboot...dont buy all those #1s. Not all will be good.

The Walking Dead
Fables is great
The Boys
Schism is looking awesome
Identity Crisis
1985 I thinks its called
Old Man Logan
100 Bullets.

Originally Posted by JRAdagreat72

What's old man logan about?

A story set in the future where all heroes where killed and Wolverine is the last left but he is a punk.

I've been recently reading and re-reading all of the Marvel crossover story lines. I'd recommend those. The art is better from mid 90s on. So for completed stories, start from The Infinity Gauntlet to Fear Itself.

Thanos ftw
pimp.gif
Just seems the Infinity series has better dialogue or narration although a little contrived in how it minimizes the rest of the heroes involved.

Other than that, The Walking Dead is very good, Powers, I'm also (re)reading all of Spawn, X-Men, and Spider-Man story lines like The Twelve (and onward), Clone Saga (and onward).

Back
Top Bottom