Which Players Have the Most Overrated POTENTIAL In The NBA???

andrew_bynum_mip_1.jpg

Originally Posted by XxHonchoxX

Josh Smith.

Loul Deng.

As soon as I saw this thread that is who I thought of (Josh Smith). I don't think it is fair to put rookies in here yet seeing how they haven't evenhad a year to finish.

Originally Posted by dreClark

I disagree w/ players like OJ Mayo and Brandon Roy.

You already knew what you were getting in drafting these players. They came into the league 'NBA Ready' but as far as potential, their ceileing isn't that much higher than the level they are already at now. Sure, they can get better in facets of the game, as they are still young, but it isn't going to be anything exponential to where they would leapfrog from the level they are at to discussion as the best player in the league.

They are very good players, and will remain that way for a while. I just don't expect too much growth in their game.

And I haven't seen anybody say something to the effect of them raising their games 6-7 levels or something like that.

And now w/ that said, I can see why people put Melo in this lane, but I just don't agree. I'm a little biased though
laugh.gif
Pretty much agreed.... They're game isn't gonna get that much better. But that doesn't meanthey won't adjust to the Pro level, and the experience they gain will help them become even more dominant.....
not sure if that made sense at all
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Statis22

Originally Posted by heat23

Originally Posted by Statis22

Dwight Howard

Dwight was compared to Tim Duncan coming out of HS. I didn't then and I still don't see it now
Show me any credible source (article, scouting report, etc.) that compared Dwight to Tim Duncan. As far as potential goes...just off of strengthand athletic ability alone he probably has GREATER potential.

You already knew what you were getting in drafting these players. They came into the league 'NBA Ready' but as far as potential, their ceileing isn't that much higher than the level they are already at now. Sure, they can get better in facets of the game, as they are still young, but it isn't going to be anything exponential to where they would leapfrog from the level they are at to discussion as the best player in the league.

They are very good players, and will remain that way for a while. I just don't expect too much growth in their game.

And I haven't seen anybody say something to the effect of them raising their games 6-7 levels or something like that.

And now w/ that said, I can see why people put Melo in this lane, but I just don't agree. I'm a little biased though
laugh.gif
In Roy's case, I knew coming into the league he'd be a solid player because he was a very good college player who could lead a team.However, he is not the type of player that will become a superstar, or a guy that you would ever consider a top 5, or even 10, player in the league. He'sjust super solid, but will never move beyond that. It has nothing to do with his abilities as a player, it's just that he is never going to be a star.

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

laugh.gif
In Roy's case, I knew coming into the league he'd be a solid player because he was a very good college player who could lead a team. However, he is not the type of player that will become a superstar, or a guy that you would ever consider a top 5, or even 10, player in the league. He's just super solid, but will never move beyond that. It has nothing to do with his abilities as a player, it's just that he is never going to be a star.

It's hard to argue that. It could go both ways, but Roy has had a 52-point game. I think in 3-5 years, players like Roy and OJ could be in the talks beingAll-NBA players. They may not be the highlight star of the NBA ala Kobe or Lebron, but they can definitely be top 10 or 15 in the league.

Rudy Gay has overrated potential though. I'm starting to see that he probably won't change for years to come and might end up being SF mold of ZachRandolph sadly.
frown.gif
Time for Earl Clark to become the Grizz starting SF andtrade Rudy.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by bhzmafia14

It's hard to argue that. It could go both ways, but Roy has had a 52-point game.
So did Tracy Murray and Tony Delk
I think in 3-5 years, players like Roy and OJ could be in the talks being All-NBA players. They may not be the highlight star of the NBA ala Kobe or Lebron, but they can definitely be top 10 or 15 in the league.
That's what I was saying. I think they both will be on the level of a Joe Johnson. Very, Very, good player, but not the best in the L.
Rudy Gay has overrated potential though. I'm starting to see that he probably won't change for years to come and might end up being SF mold of Zach Randolph sadly.
frown.gif
Time for Earl Clark to become the Grizz starting SF and trade Rudy.
laugh.gif

Earl Clark is my favorite SF in College, but I'ma need that boy to find a jimmy. Like real fast.
laugh.gif
smh.gif

But in the right situation, Rudy MAY flourish. I don't have any inside knowledge, but it seems that w/ Mayo coming in, it kinda threw his game off a littlebit. If there was any way for them to be a better tandem, I wish they could b/c they would do DAMAGE together.

Originally Posted by lnMyMind

/\ I can't wait until Rudy leaves and blows up somewhere else
Yea, at Golden State or Phoenix.
laugh.gif

I've watched probably 98% of Rudy's NBA games and there are times where he can't get that selfish mentality off his back. It's obviously hardto predict how good he could be at a mature age like 26 or 27, but I don't want to be the team to give him a 5yr/60-70mil deal and he continues to play forhimself rather than the team. If he's having a hard time doing it on his rookie contract knowing that he has an extension coming up, how would he act whenhe has the big money coming in? I just really want Rudy to start doing whats best for the team rather than himself.

As of now, I think 10 years down the road people will continue to talk about how great his potential is, but will never amount to it kinda like DerrickColeman.

Okafor and Bogut havent reached their potential-Bogut kind of gets a pass for injuries. and i agree with inmymind, I dont remember TD and Dwight being comparedto each other. Dwight is at a different position.
Brandon Wright was never really hyped up.

I still dont get how Stuckey could be up there. Last year he looked like a rookie of the year candidate in the preseason(yes i know its just the preseason)until he broke his hand and missed half of last year, filled in for Chauncey against the Magic and held it down like all star. This year, he was just thrown inthere with AI and I dont think any scoring PG has ever meshed well with him. I think early on they were doing okay-better statistically than with Rip but nowStuckey and Rip are doing better-

He's been mediocre lately but so have the Pistons in general.
Give him time.
He could be elite someday for sure. i see it.

Originally Posted by DiPlOmAt TDOt

Originally Posted by Drunken Cow

Andrew Bogut?
He's just on a bad team, but he's a double double machine.

Why is J.R. Smith rated so high and unstoppable in NBA 2K9?
laugh.gif
seriously, i would play against my friend and he would be the nuggets. J.R. Smith would be nailing threes and doings windmills while he wasdouble teamed

Back
Top Bottom