Which sport involves the quickest thinking.

One night, while flipping through channels, I come across a football, basketball, and hockey game. I start wondering which sport involves the quickest thinking process in the shortest amount of time.

Baseball: As a hitter, you have literally mili-seconds to react to the pitch. Definately up there for quickest thinking process

Basketball: At certain points in a game (especially as a point guard), there are opportunities to have a huge adavantage. At times, these oportunities happen in split seconds. To spin off a guy for a dish, to do a full court bounce pass for a layup, to make a quick one dribble move to create a small seperation for a shot, things like that.

Football: Depending on position. Obviously, quarterback has to have quick reflexes to see what the defense brings, and what kind of coverage. But at the same time, the play slowly develops. Sure, when there is an opening for a split second, you have to have a quick thinking process to make that play. But on other plays, you can watch the defense shift into what they are doing, and make the right read.

Hockey: Personally, the sport with the slowest reflexes needed, minus the goalie. for a play to develop, it takes time (minus breakaways). Where as when you take a shot, you might have an opening for a split second, and thats when the quick thinking would take place. But other than that, for an offensive player, it doesnt take much quick thinking, compared to the other sports.

Offensive players:
Baseball
Basketball
Football
Hockey

Defensive players:
Hockey
Baseball (infield)
Basketball
Football

Whats yours?
.:: |Team| Toronto| Raptors| ::.​
.:: We Aint Scurred of the C's ::.
TEAM PRARIE BOYZ​

Batters and goalies.
TEAM CHICAGO BULLS
> SIX-TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS: 1991.1992.1993.1996.1997.1998 <​

i agree.. batters and goalies.
Team Philippines​
Imelda was the original shoe head.​

TEAM CHICAGO BULLS

There is a big difference between "quick thinking" and "quick reactions". It's true that the line can definitely be blurred between the two, but some of the things listed as "quick thinking" seem to me to be more about "quick reactions".

For example, I could argue that sprinters need to have the "quickest thinking" because they have to react to a gun and their window of opportunity to get out of the box is literally milliseconds and failing that can very much cost you the race. But is that truly "quick thinking"? It's really just quick reactions. Similarly with goalies, yeah you could say that "reacting to shots" is kinda like thinking, but it's not truly THINKING... it's more reaction and trained fundamentals than truly "thinking"..... at least the kind of thinking or analysis that quarterbacks and point guards have to do in fractions of seconds when they survey the field and look for the open man or read pass rushes.

Again, the line can be very much blurred, but there still is a difference between the two.
Golden State Warriors: NBA CHAMPS 2017

Nascar drivers... 190 mph for 300 laps...wow
You're only a leader if you can get a leader to follow you

EZ$

TheBlackHole76:
Again, the line can be very much blurred, but there still is a difference between the two

I completely agree with that statement. I guess what Im wondering about is the quick thinking, as in a quarterback's case. As in "Ok, the safety is covering deep 3rd, LB is blitzing, man on the inside, checkdown is open", I guess the thought process, where there is a difference from a reaction from a goalie stopping a shot.

In that case, what sport has the quickest thinking process? Basically, I think there are only two sports with this; Football and Basketball. Where as the sports that involve reaction are Hockey, Baseball, and others with Sprinting, Nascar (even though i always agree with Clutchshooter where he says nascar isnt a sport), and things like that.

So what is the quickest thinking process? the quickest reaction time?
.:: |Team| Toronto| Raptors| ::.​
.:: We Aint Scurred of the C's ::.
TEAM PRARIE BOYZ​

Baseball hands down. Catchers and Pitcher plus 3rd baseman have no more than reflex time (sometimes even less) to react. Btters, haha facing a 100mph pitch... gotta start swing before the ball is out of the pitchers hand, pure guess.
Team Portland Trail Blazers
503​
Oregon State Beavers
Portland StateVikings​

I agree with baseball
TEAM CHARLOTTE BOBCATS
Anderson - Brezec - Carroll - Davidson - Dudley - Felton - Harrington
Herrmann - Hollins - May - McInnis - Morrison - Okafor - Richardson - Voskuhl - Wallace

chess.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS
Azubuike - Barnes - Belinelli - Biedrins - Croshere - Davis - Ellis
Harrington - Hudson - Jackson - Lasme - O'Bryant - Perovic - Pietrus - Wright

hitters i would say have quickest reaction time but its less complex than in other sports such as hockey and basketball where you have to be extremely quick with both your feet AND your hands . basketball adds another component too with travelling violations , double dribbling , etc. in which you not only have to react quickly with your hands and feet but have to in a very specific way as to not violate rules
Team 9geria
The Lagos Chapter ...

Tennis.

POP!
*Serena Williams scream*
POP!
*Serena Williams scream*

:pimp:
pimp.gif
DALLAS MAVERICKS
Proving the doubters wrong
Ager, Barea, Bass, Dampier, Diop, Fazekas, George, Hassell, Harris, Howard, Howard, Jones, Nowitzki, Stackhouse, Terry​

Volleyball.
you gotta figure out where a 6'9 hitter is gonna hit and by the time u figure it out the ball is whizzing by you going at speeds anywhere from 40-60 mph.
In Search of MID WEST Regional XIXsize 11

Baseball...

... unless you have Wakefield pitching.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS

I just find it funny that a guy by the name of "Slow Motion G35" posts in a thread that's talking about "quickness"
laugh.gif
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS

Quote:
Hockey: Personally, the sport with the slowest reflexes needed, minus the goalie. for a play to develop, it takes time (minus breakaways). Where as when you take a shot, you might have an opening for a split second, and thats when the quick thinking would take place. But other than that, for an offensive player, it doesnt take much quick thinking, compared to the other sports.
successful
Team Pizziaolo
- RED SOX FOR LIFE -

Back
Top Bottom