White Cement IVs featured in Do The Right Thing. SAMPLES?? also an extra question....

I noticed this while watching Spike Lee's classic movie DTRT. Were these IVs samples made before the official release or what? I ask this because right before the laces and mesh start on the tongue of the shoe, there is a preforated leather panel. Interesting, interesting. I WANT ANSWERS OK???? I CAN HANDLE THE TRUTH. I dont think the OGs had that section on the tongue.... or did they??? u tell me
sneaker-shots-do-the-right-thing-9.png

also, an unrelated question. in the earlier years of the 90s (for all of u dinosaurs that were getting sneakers back then). were the models of the jordans referred to by their numbers? (ex: Jordan I, Jordan II, etc...) or was its just by year (like 88 air jordan, 89 air jordan) i ask this because it did not say the numbers on the box until the later years of the 90s. Also what was getting kicks like back then? did ppl rock older jordans and how easily were they obtained after being out of production for a few years? were the prices inflated on older models and did ppl collect at that time? hmmm food for thought. 

also, praying for that white cement 4 retro next year haha. not the breds, already got the 99 :]

I noticed this while watching Spike Lee's classic movie DTRT. Were these IVs samples made before the official release or what? I ask this because right before the laces and mesh start on the tongue of the shoe, there is a preforated leather panel. Interesting, interesting. I WANT ANSWERS OK???? I CAN HANDLE THE TRUTH. I dont think the OGs had that section on the tongue.... or did they??? u tell me
sneaker-shots-do-the-right-thing-9.png

also, an unrelated question. in the earlier years of the 90s (for all of u dinosaurs that were getting sneakers back then). were the models of the jordans referred to by their numbers? (ex: Jordan I, Jordan II, etc...) or was its just by year (like 88 air jordan, 89 air jordan) i ask this because it did not say the numbers on the box until the later years of the 90s. Also what was getting kicks like back then? did ppl rock older jordans and how easily were they obtained after being out of production for a few years? were the prices inflated on older models and did ppl collect at that time? hmmm food for thought. 

also, praying for that white cement 4 retro next year haha. not the breds, already got the 99 :]

they were just the new jordans back then they did not have nicknames and all that from what i remeber and ppl collected it just was not as popular.

they were just the new jordans back then they did not have nicknames and all that from what i remeber and ppl collected it just was not as popular.

^same - 'the new Air Jordans' not the 'Air Jordan 4' from my experiences back then

Jordans would sit on the shelves year round - sometimes never fully selling out of a
specific model/colorway (of course stores would get multiple shipment throughout)...
for example - there were some AJ5s on the shelf still when
I bought the AJ6 in early '91 - if they didn't sell - maybe the store returned them to Nike
because after 1 year - and maybe a little sale time - the old model would vanish and you
would be lucky to run across the color/model/size you wanted of the old model after 1 year.
But during that year - they were fairly easy to get.

It was common to see the previous year's model around - but usually not much older than that
though some people (adults more so) would actually treat their kicks well back then and you would see the occasional
AJ1 in '88/'89 for example - what's left of those people are still buying after market now

and ya - the DTRT 4s were different but I'm glad they released just as they did instead of those above.

^same - 'the new Air Jordans' not the 'Air Jordan 4' from my experiences back then

Jordans would sit on the shelves year round - sometimes never fully selling out of a
specific model/colorway (of course stores would get multiple shipment throughout)...
I bought the AJ6 in early '91 - if they didn't sell - maybe the store returned them to Nike
because after 1 year - and maybe a little sale time - the old model would vanish and you
would be lucky to run across the color/model/size you wanted of the old model after 1 year.

It was common to see the previous year's model around - but usually not much older than that
though some people (adults more so) would actually treat their kicks well back then and you would see the occasional
AJ1 in '88/'89 for example - what's left of those people are still buying after market now

and ya - the DTRT 4s were different but I'm glad they released just as they did instead of those above.

i found a pair of Air Trainer Highs what felt like forever after they intially released
found at a shoe warehouse type store actually around 1991. I mean a pair with
an '87 production date. Felt like I won the lottery.
And looking back it was only a few years after release. How my perspective has changed.

If you found a pair of older model kicks - it was usually at a store - marked down in the corner
I used to ask store employees to look out back for older stuff & the Air Trainers in '91 were
the only time I got lucky. Suppose there were collectors back then - but I'm sure it was
almost all retail or less for the going rate. But I wasn't an adult until 1994 - I wish I knew
collector back then! I used to collect baseball cards then - so believe it or not - with the passion
i had for these sneakers - I had something similiar to the NT mindset way back then
just didn't have no ebay or nuthin and didn;t have the outlets to obtain the heat i wanted then

i found a pair of Air Trainer Highs what felt like forever after they intially released
found at a shoe warehouse type store actually around 1991. I mean a pair with
an '87 production date. Felt like I won the lottery.
And looking back it was only a few years after release. How my perspective has changed.

If you found a pair of older model kicks - it was usually at a store - marked down in the corner
I used to ask store employees to look out back for older stuff & the Air Trainers in '91 were
the only time I got lucky. Suppose there were collectors back then - but I'm sure it was
almost all retail or less for the going rate. But I wasn't an adult until 1994 - I wish I knew
collector back then! I used to collect baseball cards then - so believe it or not - with the passion
i had for these sneakers - I had something similiar to the NT mindset way back then
just didn't have no ebay or nuthin and didn;t have the outlets to obtain the heat i wanted then

Back then Jordans were not numbered they were just the new Air Jordans.. We used to go by colors ie: the white ones, the black ones, the blue and the red ones. The IV's were called the one with the wings on the side lol.. But yea those Jordans fr Do the Right Thing are samples.. Imagine if jb retros those with scuff and all and call em "the buggin outs" haha

Back then Jordans were not numbered they were just the new Air Jordans.. We used to go by colors ie: the white ones, the black ones, the blue and the red ones. The IV's were called the one with the wings on the side lol.. But yea those Jordans fr Do the Right Thing are samples.. Imagine if jb retros those with scuff and all and call em "the buggin outs" haha

People made fun of you for wearing..."the old Jordans".Jordans were mostly for the dope boys, rich kids and good report cards..lolThey were easily found everywhere in Jamaica, Queens (NY).No lines, no hassle, no fuss...I never even knew when RD was.I just saw them in all the store windows on 165 st. and copped.People were getting robbed regularly for Jordans and 8 ball jackets back then."Yo shawty.....What size you wear???" Lol

People made fun of you for wearing..."the old Jordans".Jordans were mostly for the dope boys, rich kids and good report cards..lolThey were easily found everywhere in Jamaica, Queens (NY).No lines, no hassle, no fuss...I never even knew when RD was.I just saw them in all the store windows on 165 st. and copped.People were getting robbed regularly for Jordans and 8 ball jackets back then."Yo shawty.....What size you wear???" Lol

Originally Posted by green rhino123

I've mentioned this several times in various threads when people try to prove a certain model was not popular/is overhyped/etc by saying "they sat on shelves back in the day", as if that pertained only to that particular model.  What they fail to mention, or perhaps don't realize, is this was true for pretty much ALL of the Air Jordan line.  You would have absolutely NO problem picking up a pair for yourself even 10 months after release, because as popular as the demand was for Air Jordans, the supply superseded it.  Stores would get shipments several times a month.  None of this one and out crap, Limited or Quick Strike BS, none of this waiting in lines on release day you see today, etc.  I mean...JCPenney sold Air Jordans for crying out loud!  They were just a regularly/mass produced shoe, but with a premium price and status.

Originally Posted by green rhino123

I've mentioned this several times in various threads when people try to prove a certain model was not popular/is overhyped/etc by saying "they sat on shelves back in the day", as if that pertained only to that particular model.  What they fail to mention, or perhaps don't realize, is this was true for pretty much ALL of the Air Jordan line.  You would have absolutely NO problem picking up a pair for yourself even 10 months after release, because as popular as the demand was for Air Jordans, the supply superseded it.  Stores would get shipments several times a month.  None of this one and out crap, Limited or Quick Strike BS, none of this waiting in lines on release day you see today, etc.  I mean...JCPenney sold Air Jordans for crying out loud!  They were just a regularly/mass produced shoe, but with a premium price and status.

The first Jordans I remember being hard to get were the XI's.  Some people will argue this but it depends on where you were.  I lived in Michigan at the time and there were non to be found, brother scooped me a pair in Chicago but that was on release date.

Most models and colors before that could be found on shelves throughout the year as most have said above.

We had nicknames around my way.

First I remember were the 4's.  Like dude above said, ones with the wings. 5's were the reflector tongues, 6's were the pull tongues, 7's were the bugs bunnies, 8's carpet tongues.

The first Jordans I remember being hard to get were the XI's.  Some people will argue this but it depends on where you were.  I lived in Michigan at the time and there were non to be found, brother scooped me a pair in Chicago but that was on release date.

Most models and colors before that could be found on shelves throughout the year as most have said above.

We had nicknames around my way.

First I remember were the 4's.  Like dude above said, ones with the wings. 5's were the reflector tongues, 6's were the pull tongues, 7's were the bugs bunnies, 8's carpet tongues.

It wasn't at all like it is today. You used to be able to buy Air Jordans everywhere. I live in Chicago. You could get them at Kohls, Sears, Famous Footwear and JCPenney, like Anomaly said above. They were not just sold at selected stores. Lots of times they sat because people wouldn't drop the cash for them. I remember I's being on clearance at Sears for $49 and bunch of V's at Kohls being on sale for $79. I got a pair of maroon VI's for $69 at a store called Lebos. If I only knew what was to come. I would have bought every last pair I could! The shoes in the movie were probably made for the movie, maybe the III's were still out and they were showing the new ones early......I'm just guessing......never even saw that flick.

It wasn't at all like it is today. You used to be able to buy Air Jordans everywhere. I live in Chicago. You could get them at Kohls, Sears, Famous Footwear and JCPenney, like Anomaly said above. They were not just sold at selected stores. Lots of times they sat because people wouldn't drop the cash for them. I remember I's being on clearance at Sears for $49 and bunch of V's at Kohls being on sale for $79. I got a pair of maroon VI's for $69 at a store called Lebos. If I only knew what was to come. I would have bought every last pair I could! The shoes in the movie were probably made for the movie, maybe the III's were still out and they were showing the new ones early......I'm just guessing......never even saw that flick.

Ive watched that movie many times and never noticed that,nice find man,Id like some info on those 4s too,somebody gots to still own them.

Ive watched that movie many times and never noticed that,nice find man,Id like some info on those 4s too,somebody gots to still own them.

Yeah I remeber getting my first pair of Js, Bordeaux VIIs that my mom bought for me at JC Pennys because she thought the VIs looked wierd with the ankle bumps. I wanted the VIs casue another kid in school had em and the bordeauxs just happened to be released that day, Thats what started it for me and I also remember getting my concords at Pennys and it was weeks after they were out. It never used to be tough to get about anything you wanted because as was mentioned everyone used to carry Jordans it seemed! Also the only way to see what the next Jordan was gonna look like was by the store managers pulling out a flip catalog and showing you some drawing. I loved those times!

Back
Top Bottom