White Guy Talks About White Privelege and Whether It Exists Or Not

i watched this earlier today and he says some of the realest stuff i have ever heard. i especially like how he points out that in many cases peoples denial ofwhite privilege can be harmful to them

as well as others. but more than anything i like/respect his view on the history of racism. yes it may be true that you had nothing to do with slavery but ifyou are going to benefit from the pluses

you gained because of something your ancestors do then you are also responsible for righting those wrongs. you can't enjoy the fruits/privileges of bigotryand racism and then disown the

negative. that is something i myself have never been able to articulate in my many debates with my white friends/combatants. he also talks about how thismentality of feeling oh so great and

above everyone else because you are so superior leaves you very vulnerable I.E. 9/11. he talks about how we spend 400 billion in defense and felt as the U.S.governed by smart powerful white

men that we are loved the world over and nobody would ever mess with us because well we spent 400 billion on defense, then on 9/11 19 dudes with a hundredbucks in box cutters and 1000

bucks in plane tickets totally devastated and horrified this entire country. but he also points out the plight of brown people and white women the like. thewhole time he never says THEY but

always we or us because he sees himself no different because although he is aware of the inherent privileges of being white he knows that simply being white hebenefits from them whether he

likes it or not. he doesn't come off as a self hating white person damning all white people for being evil racist bastards but just talks about how whitepeople need to stop denying the problem of

racism and privilege because its a discussion that is very uncomfortable.

"You're stupid if you think the war on drugs is actually to get drugs off the streets"

Thats real talk.

This really makes me mad.
mad.gif

I know black leaders who have been saying the same thing for years and years...

But people only want to hear and give credit when a white guys says it???
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif

But as long as the messages gets out. then cool.

Originally Posted by GTEK

mad.gif

smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif

its just a fact that someone of your own race talking about how you need to do better is gonna be more affective than someone from another race. its 10X moreaffective when a prominent black man says hey if you stop acting ignorant and believing that the only way out the hood if any is a wicked jump shot, rapping orselling crack rocks than a white guy telling black people they need to stop blaming the white man and do for themselves.

White privilege is a generalization, and so doesn't fit every single white person.

Also JuJu it's going to take both "sides" working together to fix the damage done, not just whites. I put sides in quotation marks becausewe're all human, there are no real sides.

Originally Posted by JuJu

mad.gif

smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif

its just a fact that someone of your own race talking about how you need to do better is gonna be more affective than someone from another race. its 10X more affective when a prominent black man says hey if you stop acting ignorant and believing that the only way out the hood if any is a wicked jump shot, rapping or selling crack rocks than a white guy telling black people they need to stop blaming the white man and do for themselves.

True.

It just that everytime a person of different race brings this topic up. The media staright twists their words and image.
This guy def took it to the bank though.

mad.gif

smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif

its just a fact that someone of your own race talking about how you need to do better is gonna be more affective than someone from another race. its 10X more affective when a prominent black man says hey if you stop acting ignorant and believing that the only way out the hood if any is a wicked jump shot, rapping or selling crack rocks than a white guy telling black people they need to stop blaming the white man and do for themselves.

QFT

I concur with o.g. statement JuJu

mad.gif

smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif

qft

mad.gif

smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif

The funny and ironic thing is dude actually mentions that at the beginning of his speech.
He says that the day that a black man can give a similar speech and not be treated any differently is the day we have truely made progress.
He even gives black ppl credit for the ideas in the speech as well as the speech itself.

another race thread?

anyway imo people over complicate race issues, stating the obvious in roundabout ways.

not gonna lie, i didn't watch the vid, but i'm guessing the point was- white people enjoy many advantages over their minority counterparts that theymay not even realize?

Originally Posted by ninjallamafromhell

White privilege is a generalization, and so doesn't fit every single white person.

Also JuJu it's going to take both "sides" working together to fix the damage done, not just whites. I put sides in quotation marks because we're all human, there are no real sides.
oh trust me i know its not all the white mans fault. thats why i liked this guy so much because he didnt come off as some self hating white man. ihave plenty of white friends and i know for a fact that many white people are not racist or hateful just in denial like he says. but just like white peopleneed to wake up im always telling my black folks to stop blaming white people for everything, because a white guy may be able to deny you a job but no whiteguy ever made me sell crack or choose to skip school to play playstation. i just focused more on the white aspect cause of the video, but i def feel youeveryone needs to just take responsibility for themselves.

Originally Posted by Joseph Camel Jr

another race thread?

anyway imo people over complicate race issues, stating the obvious in roundabout ways.

not gonna lie, i didn't watch the vid, but i'm guessing the point was- white people enjoy many advantages over their minority counterparts that they may not even realize?

yea thats the gist. but trust me this dude is in no way redundant he speaks truth man. he basically talks about how "race" or "whiteness"was a trick on black and white people alike by the upper elite class. he talks about how long ago their was no white race and how there was just diff europeannations all fighting with each other, than when we came to america the poor white AND black people were starting to realize the elite were screwing them so theelite class used skin color and the promise of a lil land to make those poor white people forget they had way more in common with those poor black people theythan ever did with their rich upper class white brothers so that they could maintain the tradition of reaping the benefits while doing none of the work.

i guess from a historical perspective that's interesting and all, but i don't see why it matters how or why or where racism originated.

not trying to say it's meaningless, but how does that help?

i guess from a historical perspective that's interesting and all, but i don't see why it matters how or why or where racism originated.

not trying to say it's meaningless, but how does that help?
if you dont know your history you are doomed to repeat it. he points out in the video that that very same thing still happens today. he useskatrina as an example. he talks about how ther 9th ward(mostly black) and another neighborhood no more than 500 yards away (95% white) both lost everything inthe floods. but when they came back instead of wondering why their elected officials (the majority of which lived in the rich areas of new orleans and lostvirtually nothing at all) and gov't didnt do a better job of reinforcing the levies the true source of all that destruction by using the millions ofdollars that were designated specifically for those levies as a unified group of poor people who lost everything . they put in place a ordinance that made itso that homes could not be sold/rented to people who were not blood related (which in a community of 95% white people means very very very few displaced blackpeople would be able to make that area their home now) so instead of question the real people at fault the gov't/elected officials/elite upper classcontroling things their first instinct was to yell foul about the black people who had no power and lost JUST as much as they did in the floods. dont you thinkthat is a lil silly?

Also JuJu it's going to take both "sides" working together to fix the damage done, not just whites. I put sides in quotation marks because we're all human, there are no real sides.
oh trust me i know its not all the white mans fault. thats why i liked this guy so much because he didnt come off as some self hating white man. i have plenty of white friends and i know for a fact that many white people are not racist or hateful just in denial like he says. but just like white people need to wake up im always telling my black folks to stop blaming white people for everything, because a white guy may be able to deny you a job but no white guy ever made me sell crack or choose to skip school to play playstation. i just focused more on the white aspect cause of the video, but i def feel you everyone needs to just take responsibility for themselves.
Exactly.

Racism was not only a diversion by the elites (from more prudent political/social matters) but also served to provide justification (because everybody knowsit's wrong inherently) for the enslavement of other human beings.
Also, slavery was about economics whereas the Jim Crow era was strictly about perpetuating the racist culture that was born in the South out of slavery.

Of course "white privilege" exists in certain areas of society but it is way overstated.
It's the same as saying that trust fund babies have certain privileges over others. Or that the political elite have privileges along with the families ofmajor industrial/corporate titans (Ford, Carnegie, Morgan, etc.).

pimp.gif
and my sentiments exactly.

Why did Fede have to get banned? I wanted to see what sort of insane reaction he would have to this.

JuJu wrote:

oh trust me i know its not all the white mans fault. thats why i liked this guy so much because he didnt come off as some self hating white man. i have plenty of white friends and i know for a fact that many white people are not racist or hateful just in denial like he says. but just like white people need to wake up im always telling my black folks to stop blaming white people for everything, because a white guy may be able to deny you a job but no white guy ever made me sell crack or choose to skip school to play playstation. i just focused more on the white aspect cause of the video, but i def feel you everyone needs to just take responsibility for themselves.

None of this is directed at you.

My conversation to everything racial where someone who is white makes a blanket statement to other races. Such as welfare abuse, affirmative action injustices,your above statement, and the like is look around and take your cloudy glasses off (NOT YOU) and just look around. For every welfare abuser who is black orHispanic I can find you a white person gaming the system. For every black person you call lazy I can find you a white person, For every "affirmativeaction hire/appointee" I can show you a white person in that same position who doesn't deserve it. For every black drug dealer I can find a white drugdealer. For every black kid skipping school for stupid things, go to a white suburban school and you will witness the same thing. The first step to curingracial tensions in this country is for every race to stop and take a look around and see how much each race contributes to this country. And each of the illsof 1 race can be found in an equal proportion in another race including your own. So stop making blanket statements of others regardless but especially if youare unwilling to acknowledge that your own race doesn't have the same problem.

Originally Posted by Essential1

JuJu wrote:

My conversation to everything racial where someone who is white makes a blanket statement to other races. Such as welfare abuse, affirmative action injustices, your above statement, and the like is look around and take your cloudy glasses off (NOT YOU) and just look around. For every welfare abuser who is black or Hispanic I can find you a white person gaming the system. For every black person you call lazy I can find you a white person, For every "affirmative action hire/appointee" I can show you a white person in that same position who doesn't deserve it. For every black drug dealer I can find a white drug dealer. For every black kid skipping school for stupid things, go to a white suburban school and you will witness the same thing. The first step to curing racial tensions in this country is for every race to stop and take a look around and see how much each race contributes to this country. And each of the ills of 1 race can be found in an equal proportion in another race including your own. So stop making blanket statements of others regardless but especially if you are unwilling to acknowledge that your own race doesn't have the same problem.
i like the essence of what youre trying to say

but people are gonna take the incorrect stuff you said and run away with it.

you ARE gonna find a disproportionate amount of black drug dealers, welfare recipients, etc. etc. that's a fact (whose existence coud be attributed to anynumber of things, of course) . but the generalizations that people draw from that- "blacks are lazy/criminals/etc" is what's incorrect.

Originally Posted by Essential1

JuJu wrote:

My conversation to everything racial where someone who is white makes a blanket statement to other races. Such as welfare abuse, affirmative action injustices, your above statement, and the like is look around and take your cloudy glasses off (NOT YOU) and just look around. For every welfare abuser who is black or Hispanic I can find you a white person gaming the system. For every black person you call lazy I can find you a white person, For every "affirmative action hire/appointee" I can show you a white person in that same position who doesn't deserve it. For every black drug dealer I can find a white drug dealer. For every black kid skipping school for stupid things, go to a white suburban school and you will witness the same thing. The first step to curing racial tensions in this country is for every race to stop and take a look around and see how much each race contributes to this country. And each of the ills of 1 race can be found in an equal proportion in another race including your own. So stop making blanket statements of others regardless but especially if you are unwilling to acknowledge that your own race doesn't have the same problem.
i like the essence of what youre trying to say

but people are gonna take the incorrect stuff you said and run away with it.

you ARE gonna find a disproportionate amount of black drug dealers, welfare recipients, etc. etc. that's a fact (whose existence coud be attributed to any number of things, of course) . but the generalizations that people draw from that- "blacks are lazy/criminals/etc" is what's incorrect.

it is a solid argument to those who are reasonable and ghave conceeded the argument at this point.

but people who are over the top racist will take it as a grain of salt and will keep in his twisted train of thought but NOBODY not even their kids if they areold enough will tell them different.

But by statistics all of what I said is true. More whites are on welfare than anyone else. Every race has a gang of lazy people and by design this society hasbecome lazy.

None of what I said is really incorrect at all. But I can see where you see it being incorrect because of generalizations we have been told to think.

Back
Top Bottom