White Student Union - Thoughts?

gllahone84

Banned
ATLANTA -- A new student club at Georgia State University is attracting more attention than most new student clubs do -- just the club's name is stirring up controversy.

The first-year student at Georgia State who organized the club is calling it the "White Student Union."

The organizer, Patrick Sharp, insisted Wednesday night that no one should have any cause for worry or concern.

Sharp said he has heard objections from students about the club's name, and he understands why some are objecting.

But he's hoping no one will pre-judge him or his club.

"I decided to organize a White Student Union," he said, simply.

He started posting flyers this summer on the downtown Atlanta campus of Georgia State University.

Sharp said when he started his first year during this summer term, he noticed there were many other student clubs devoted to various racial and ethnic interests.

So he started the White Student Union.

He said five or six students have joined so far.

"I sort of took it upon myself, kind of with inspiration from Matthew Heimbach's group in Maryland, at Towson University," which is also called the White Student Union, to form a similar club at GSU, Sharp said.

The White Student Union at Towson University has been accused of being a hate group, which Heimbach has denied.

At GSU, the group "Progressive Student Alliance" has posted flyers on campus against Sharp's club, equating his club with white supremacists.

"You know, to say this is some closeted or curtained white supremacy, it's pretty -- and I'll go ahead and turn their words around on them -- it's pretty ignorant and close-minded," Sharp said. "It's a pride organization, it's a cultural organization, what we have is not hate for any other group.... Whites are becoming a minority.... We have a voice, we're unique people, and we have every right to make that voice heard."

The new club has stirred up controversy not only among students at Georgia State, but also among students at other colleges and universities.

Amanda Miller just graduated from Agnes Scott College in Decatur, and was at GSU Wednesday night waiting for a friend who was taking a final exam.

"I think to have a white student association is kind of ridiculous," Miller, who is white, said. "I mean, on one level, I understand wanting to connect with your heritage," and she said she might be interested in participating with others who share her family's background, which is Irish and Norwegian. "I don't feel the need to join a white student association. I'm happy to connect with my personal, cultural roots. But a white student association sounds a little, I don't know, I could see how it could go very wrong."

GSU Senior Stephanie-Joy Rhoden, an African American: "It's just the name, I think, really to be honest" that raises concerns for many. "That might make you go to that place in your head where you're, like, whoa, wait a minute, what's that about."

She's keeping an open mind about the club.

"Hopefully they have good intentions," she said, and, if so, no one should interfere with them "to do their thing. If they want to make a group, who's to say that they can't, in today's society?"

"At this point, we're received emails from six students," said GSU's Vice President for Student Affairs, Douglass Covey. "The students are expressing concern about the intended purpose of this organization."

Dr. Covey tells them the White Student Union, as an informal student club, has every right to exist.

The GSU student body is diverse. 38 percent are white, 35 percent are black, 12 percent are Asian, and seven percent are Latinos.

Dr. Covey said if Sharp wants the club to be a formal, recognized, GSU student organization, he can go through the same application process that the current, 300 or so official student clubs underwent.

"The campus, as a public institution, is a place where freedom of speech and association and the liberal exchange of different points of view is cherished and protected," Dr. Covey said. "And any group that wishes to seek recognition must meet the standards of alignment with institutional mission and non-discrimination. And any group which wishes to exist informally, without institutional affiliation, certainly is free to do so, just as a right of their citizenship."

"What we are is an organization that just loves where we come from," Sharp said, "we love our heritage, we love our ancestries, and we have a lot of pride in that."

Sharp said he hopes the club will grow during fall semester when more students are attending classes. And he said he wants to work with student clubs representing other races and ethnic groups on charities and causes and issues important to all on campus and across the city.

Last edited:
Vice had a good feature on one that exists at Towson. Check out the vid.

If their intentions are genuinely good then let them cook, If their mentioning negativity and stuff like that in their club then shut it down quick.

I go to GSU, this **** is way overblown. The media makes it seem like people care but no one really does, i doubt anybody even knows about this group on campus.

The thing about GSU is that it is a commuter school in the middle of downtown. There really is no unity between the students that go here. No one is really involved in any campus activities. Notice that they said they only have 5 or 6 members. GSU has close to 33,000 students if i can recall.

Unless you stay on campus, everyone just goes to class then go home or to work.

who cares

as long as they're not promoting hate they've got every right to have a white student union

i personally dont see the point but if they want one let em have one

Last edited:
Typical persecution complex nonsense...I want to know specifically what kinds of challenges and obstacles he thinks he faces for being a white person in America.

I don't know the racial makeup of GSU but if the school is predominately non-white, then I say go for it. However, if it has a majority white class population and he is doin it because there are other minority groups, then I say quit belly aching.

They tried to do that at Pitt while I was in undergrad, the school is 85% white for the most part, what's the point?

These minority groups give the minorities that go to the school a sense of belonging in a school where they stick out like a sore thumb for the most part. It's not to be like a KKK or Black Panther movement, but to have a group that represents them within the university.

I swear many people don't get that, they just see it as a way to be "different" and "separate themselves from everyone else"

Last edited:
^^^GSU is like 40-45% minorities

I go to GSU, this **** is way overblown. The media makes it seem like people care but no one really does, i doubt anybody even knows about this group on campus.

The thing about GSU is that it is a commuter school in the middle of downtown. There really is no unity between the students that go here. No one is really involved in any campus activities. Notice that they said they only have 5 or 6 members. GSU has close to 33,000 students if i can recall.

Unless you stay on campus, everyone just goes to class then go home or to work.
Yup..went there and most ppl just go to class and go on about their business...students dont even know or care about whats happening on campus

Last edited:
I go to towson and same thing happened. It wasn't official campus sponsored club tho. Just a few weirdos

I'M BLACK AND DON'T HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THIS AT ALL. THERE ARE BLACK, LATINO, ETC. STUDENT UNIONS. WHY NOT A WHITE ONE.

CARRY ON.

Stick to talking about bots and Jordans. Minority student unions and groups have historical context. White student unions don't. They were never told they couldn't join a fraternity or congregate at the campus student union which the group name is derived from.

I stopped reading at the quote where he said Whites are becoming a minority. That let me know all I needed to know where he is mentally.

Pretty soon they will be a minority, but then they'll just be the minority with all the power.

Not sure how I feel about this, let's see where they go with it.

The question i got is why even have a white student union at schools like GSU and Towson?...At those schools you could easily find other white people to hang out with, party, discuss whatever..not like they going to Clark Atlanta or something where they run into another white person a couple times a semester

I'M BLACK AND DON'T HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THIS AT ALL. THERE ARE BLACK, LATINO, ETC. STUDENT UNIONS. WHY NOT A WHITE ONE.

CARRY ON.

Stick to talking about bots and Jordans. Minority student unions and groups have historical context. White student unions don't. They were never told they couldn't join a fraternity or congregate at the campus student union which the group name is derived from.

the thing you don't understand is they use this issue as a topic to draw attention to their causes... let there be a white student union... who cares?

THOSE JIMMIES HAVE BEEN RUFFLED.

Nah, you're just an idiot. And you don't nees to tell anyone you're black. We can all see your black *** in your avatar.

HAVE NO IDEA WHO YOU ARE BUT YOU SEEM TO KNOW ALL ABOUT ME AND GOT THAT HATE WASHING THROUGH YOU. YOU TALKING ABOUT BOT AND JORDANS/NAMECALLING IN A COMPLETELY UNRELATED THREAD.

OH YES, THOSE JIMMIES HAVE BEEN RUFFLED, WHETHER IT WAS NOW OR IN THE PAST :lol: .

ADDING TO IGNORE LIST. CARRY ON.

The whites didn't need to join together and have a name for it. It's only purpose was to rustle jimmies

Back
Top Bottom