Whitlock -- Nails it? Or just swinging the hammer?

Am I supposed to be mad about LeBron?
by Jason Whitlock

Would someone please write a handbook? "What Will and Won't Piss Black Folk Smooth the **** Off" would be an international bestseller.

I'm black, and I'm pissed off most of the time, but I wouldn't leave home without the handbook. Not in these racist-ly confusing times. I can barely keep up with when I'm supposed to be disappointed as opposed to offended as opposed to being pissed smooth the **** off.

Right now I need to know where this LeBron James-Gisele Bundchen-Vogue-cover controversy falls. And just who am I supposed to be mad at, LeBron, the photographer, the editors at Vogue or Tom Brady?

Maybe they're all to blame. Maybe that's the point of this whole mess. Or maybe they're just as bewildered as I am.

According to the allegations, King James looks like King Kong clutching Fay Wray on the latest cover of Vogue, and the image, according to potential handbook writers, "conjures up this idea of a dangerous black man."

Hmm, to LeBron and his handlers, he looks like LeBron clutching a pretty white woman on the latest cover of Vogue, and the image conjures up the idea that LeBron can race up court with a basketball and a supermodel.

I agree with LeBron. The photographer captured him exactly as he is. You know, when he covered his body in tatts years ago, mimicking a death-row inmate, LeBron invited people to jump to the conclusion that he's dangerous. Yeah, that's the way the image-is-everything game is played. Ink is a prison and gang thing. Don't act like you don't know the origin of the current fad.

Vogue put a mirror in our face, and we're complaining about the reflection. Half the black players in the NBA take the court each night in front of white audiences tatted from neck to toe like they're shooting a scene for Prison (Fast)Break.

When David Stern insisted on helping these players with their image by implementing a dress code, many of the players and their media groupies screamed racism. You see, showing up to work in a white T and iced-out (heavy jewelry) was their way of showing loyalty to their boys in the 'hood, a shout-out to the corner boys and girls.

And any time someone with common sense points out that athletes are making fools of themselves and feeding negative stereotypes, he or she is shouted down as a sellout, racist or out of touch.

Just look at how much heat the NFL takes for trying to stop Chad Johnson from bojangling. This is why a handbook to clear up the confusion is so necessary. When Johnson slaps in his gold teeth, dyes and cuts his hair into a blonde Mohawk, dances a jig in the end zone and makes life absolute hell on his black coach, that is fun and good for the game.

But when King James apes King Kong it is a terrible blow to the perception of black men.

Would we be having this discussion if LeBron struck the same pose on the cover of Ebony while holding Selita Ebanks? Think about it. And if we wouldn't be having the discussion, what does that say about us? Are we only bothered by negative images of black men when the primary/sole consumer of the image is white people?

Vogue ain't for us. Tyler Perry's new movie, Meet the Browns, was produced with us in mind. It had a great box-office debut, coming in at No. 2 with a take of more than $20 million. It also broke records for negative black stereotypes and simple-mindedness.

We ate it up, and I've yet to hear much of an outcry about a romantic comedy built around a single mama with three baby daddies, her loud-mouthed, weed-smoking, gun-toting Latino best girlfriend, a deadbeat daddy, a drunk sister and a deceased father who was a pimp-turned-preacher. I could go on. This list is endless.

Rather than reading and hearing universal condemnation of Tyler Perry, the drag-queen moviemaker is being hailed as a genius for recognizing what attracts us to the movie theatre.

I'm telling you we need a handbook. We need something athletes, entertainers, black and white folks can easily refer to when deciding how to react to the images we choose to project. The chapter on rap-music videos could be studied at major universities across the globe. I'd like for Bob Johnson, the founder of Black Exploitation Television, to pen that section when he comes off the Clinton campaign trail.

LeBron James is a kid, and his talents as a basketball player and absence of a father allowed him to "grow up" rather than be "raised." His stated goal is to be one of the richest men in the world. Like Paris Hilton, Britney Spears and Lindsay Lohan, he is a child celebrity interested in increasing his fame and little else.

He's in very good and very deep company when it comes to being unconcerned with and unqualified for the job of representing black men in a positive light.

Hell, given our current state of confusion, I'm not sure Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. could handle the job.

Jason Whitlock can be reached by email at Ballstate68@aol.com.

Had Obama said it, it would have been some groundbreaking speech that echoed in the words of other great American speeches, but since its Whitlock, it willjust be brushed off because many people arent a fan of what he has to say. I can see what they were TRYING to do with the cover, but it just came out lookingstupid. Who the heck looks like they are screaming while dribbiling the ball? They could have done it better and not have it come out and look the way itlooks. But in the end, who cares, its Vouge, and its not my reputation taking the hit, so I cant really care to much about this.

Whitlock acts like there is no sub-text to anything. If you can'tsee the King Kong aspect of that picture you are blind. And because I doubt there was more than one person of color atthat photo editing meeting, no one there got that sub-text. And please don't tell me it's just apicture. They do 12 covers a year, and to be on a Vogue cover is a big deal. It's gets analyzed every which way you can think of and some you can't. Is it the biggest deal ever no, but itdoes matter. Because it shows that largely, people of color still aren't behind the scenes making decisions. Be itan editor, director, producer, camera man, general manager, athletic director, etc etc.

Whitlock is so from that pick yourself up from your bootstraps, don't embarrass us in front of white folk, Booker T. Washington learn a trade or a skillschool of thought it's not even funny. I bet he was mad with the stuff Obama's preacher said.

And what does that fact that Tyler Perry is a "drag-queen moviemaker" have to do with anything?

Because it shows that largely, people of color still aren't behind the scenes making decisions. Be it an editor, director, producer, camera man, general manager, athletic director, etc etc.
Even deeper than that...

Once a person (whether White, Black, Hispanic, Latino, etc.) works their way UP to those positions, at WHAT costs are you going to not only speak your voice,but stand firmly behind it 100%?

The "knowing your role" aka "freedom of speech, but watch what you say, even if asked" theory of higher management/higher income positions.

Hate to bring THE WIRE into this, but its such a great show to reference. Look at Gus in season 5. Perfect example. You shoutfor the cause just off GP, and look what happens to YOU in the end. Is it worth it? Gus is behind that copy desk now wondering, "Damn. Dude still gotthe Pultizer. And I got demoted."

Most people, opinionated or not, aren't putting their 6 - 7 figure positions on the line for a "cause" anymore (not to be confused with defendinga cause). So, if anyone at the magazine said something--no matter the ethical background-- I bet it wasn't strong enough for a change in the cover. Asproven.

I honestly see no different in this cover than the "lynching" golf cover a few weeks back. Goes hand and hand to me.

Plus, that's not even a LBJ expression for real! Maybe Rasheed, but not LBJ, which makes this even more sad. Like Kobe, he is an assassin WITHIN thegame, but that's not the image he protrays. He looks SO out of character in that pic it made me think twice. Nike -- of ALLcompanies -- never advertised him this way...

Tyler Perry matters cuz, if he was white making these plays and movies...black people would be out raged and appalled..Sorry A** Al sharpton and Jesse Jackson would be marching on hollywood...

BUT...because he is black he gets a pass..
I think that is in the "handbook" Whitlock is desperate for. Similar to using the "n" word -- its "okay" ifyou're Black.

Tyler Perry matters cuz, if he was white making these plays and movies...black people would be out raged and appalled..Sorry A** Al sharpton and Jesse Jackson would be marching on hollywood...

BUT...because he is black he gets a pass..
I know that, but my point was what does him being a "drag-queen movie maker" have to do with his article? He can say he makesstereotypical movies, they are bad for black people, but him being a drag-queen really has nothing to do with it. It just shows Whitlocks bias to hislifestyle.

And despite what some people think, there are some things black people can do and say that white people can't, and vice versa. It's just the way it is

i agree wit EOH...its not even LBJ's normal expression and to make it seem like he's saving her or whatever is kind of a shot at us...she's smilingand looking harmless, but here he is as this big black(pause) angry black man....i mean say what u want but its right there in ur face....its still overlookedthat black folks can't be stars or be on tv or covers unless they are shucking and jivin'...it blows the sh@! outta me sometimes...

I saw the cover yesterday and heard about the controversary today. Black people need to choose our battles . We should be outraged about Jena and major socialinjustice but, nobody violated Lebron rights and he took the picture..Maybe Vogue or the photographer were trying to be controversial to sell magazines.Theyare getting all the press now. Vogue magazine and most fashion mags are not political correct, their edgy images and numerous pictures of implied gay dudessells. Lebron took the photo therefore he approved of it to some degree. As much as Lebron has kept his brand respectable as the future of the NBA I doubt heand his team would risk any backlash or a negative image of himself. The problem with Whitlock is, he goes of the deep end when trying to make a good statementWhitlock continues to compare Apples to oranges. Tyler Perry may dress in drag, but all his movies address serious social issues(sometimes these issues arecolor blind). He uses Madea to feed the mass with a little comedy but real issues are addressed. Barrack speech comes back to this same problem. We need toaddress race in America because black folks are paranoid(rightfully so,look at the history), White folks are paranoid(don't know what to say around us forfear of being called races) and Spanish folks are paranoid(tired of blacks and whites looking at them as illegals) and Asian folks are paranoid(they are barelyrepresented in the media,like they don't exist.

I read about this and like mentioned above. Whitlock is on point with some stuff he writes about, but since he has an axe to grind with ALL Writers that areBlack at ESPN since he was fired, his viewpoint always appears jaded and bias.

I disagree with some of my fam in here with this.

Political Correctness is getting to be tiring in some regard. I know for a FACT that Nike and Brons people had First right of refusal on the picture posted,because he was wearing Nike Product and Maverick has to approve overall imaging.

Bron is a Grown man. He is seen in MANY Mags as mentioned dressed to impress as a Business man. When I first saw this in a mtg, I thought. Seems weird to begrabbing Giselle while dribbling, but there's no REAL Story behind the picture.

BUT...it was whatever.

I think Blacks are our own worst Critic when it comes to ANY and EVERYTHING. Someone else does something we don't like. It's bad. WE Do the same thing.It's ok. They are black.

I don't believe in Political Correctness anymore. Black people who make millions should be able to do whatever they want just like black people who make afew hundred dollars a year within reason of course.

He's not hurting the community or having an everlasting affect on how Blacks are viewed. White or otherwise folks are goin to think what they have alwaysthought of certain black people and think other things about other Black people.

Bron's cover won't change the way we are ALL viewed. if you are racist. You were racist before the Cover and WILL be after the Cover. What ProminentBlacks eat don't make me defacate. And I think once we as a people stop looking for reasons or people to have an alternative reason for doing something, wewill be better off.

ALL White people aren't out to get us. I don't feel that ALL of Corporate America ran by whites aren't sitting in boardrooms saying.. how can wemake blacks look worse and keep them from getting ahead.

Is there an underlying tone to some who work there. Of course. It's up the individual's to get past that and not make excuses to be held back.

I could start a firestorm of debate with this, but hey... thats why I like this forum.

I can say what I feel and KNOW there will be a response on both sides!! lol

We should be outraged about Jena and major social injustice but, nobody violated Lebron rights and he took the picture..Maybe Vogue or the photographer were trying to be controversial to sell magazines.They are getting all the press now. Vogue magazine and most fashion mags are not political correct, their edgy images and numerous pictures of implied gay dudes sells. Lebron took the photo therefore he approved of it to some degree. As much as Lebron has kept his brand respectable as the future of the NBA I doubt he and his team would risk any backlash or a negative image of himself.
^Agree with what you said... people need to spend all this energy on more important issues.

Funny thing is if it was say... Dirk Nowitizki holding Lauren London (just some random examples), Nash grabbing *thinking of someone smaller* lol <insertyour favorite black supermodel>, heck even Yao holding... you get the point... I HIGHLY DOUBT THIS WOULD BE A TOPIC OF DISCUSSION (word to Billy Bob... oram I reaching?)

She isn't even "white"... she is Brazilian

Overall this is just stupid! Most them kats are married or have Gisele like ladies anyways (word to Rock) so whats the BIG fccccckn deal! It's 2008 in afew years everyone will be a shade of brown and im contributing to that! Note to racist parents/olders your baby girl is probably out with someone who lookslike Bron or Weezy.

Originally Posted by J PayCheck

Most them kats are married or have Gisele like ladies anyways (word to Rock)
pimp.gif
Even after all the damn kids I got she's still a10 son.

Valid points here. Many branches of views growing from that one tree. Great reads.

Rock, are you saying what "BlackTulip" is saying doesn't exists at ALL? Or you just putting a closed eye to it now due to experience,preference, etc.? I got your points, just clarification on where you stand on the "underlining" issue here.

"Stupid" or not, all I'm saying is LBJ looking like King Hippo from Mike Tyson Punchout on the cover of Vogue (with or without the chick) isnot where it's at.
indifferent.gif

But neither are the last 5 academy awards Black folks have won for the roles they were awarded for, but who's really paying attention.
eyes.gif

Black maybe.......................................

Originally Posted by eyes of hazel

Rock, are you saying what "BlackTulip" is saying doesn't exists at ALL? Or you just putting a closed eye to it now due to experience, preference, etc.? I got your points, just clarification on where you stand on the "underlining" issue here.
BlackTuilp wrote:
And despite what some people think, there are some things black people can do and say that white people can't, and vice versa. It's just the way it is

Kev-

I totally agree with what BlackTulip says on THAT note.. I just meant that it's used as an excuse in some instances to try and make it seem as though folksare out to get us.

i.e. When some of us who have non Black friends call us the N word when it's just them around, but if OTHER Black friends are around and that same personcalls you the N word, don't be all shocked or even twisted when the OTHERs are wondering why did that person feel so comfortable saying it.

But again... when Im with some of my boys, the N word drops more than periods at the end of our sentences!!! Does that make it right? No.. but its a way oflife and I do believe its a Term of Endearment that some Black so called leaders try to say is holding us back.

I am doing what I want to do in life, as well as many others who use the slang term. I believe Jesse Jackson prolly says it as well as Sharpton behind closeddoors when people are criticizing them on TV.

Trust me. My Black Aunts can call me the N word... my white Aunts cant.

The problem will be when my sons get older and the one who looks more white than black may call his brother a Nuhhh and someone may try to jump him... So Igotta create a "Race Card" for that lil Nucca for real!!!
roll.gif
roll.gif

His teacher still wonders why he fills in Black for State School Tests!! They don't let you pick multi racial in Texas. You are either Black White orMexican. Even if you are born in Spain. You are Mexican!!

Lets say it was a lightskin dude doing this magazine cover and for argumental purposes that lightskin person was Allan Iverson, do you think it would be aproblem to society? If you say yes would the problem be more racial or more of the fact of AI's past image problems?

You lost me. Only cause A.I. more of a Tweener on Skin Tone...lol I dont think AI could even be considered for a hypothetical cause Vogue wouldn't considerhim on Image alone.

Rick Fox would have been a better person cause he LOVES women other than his ex wife vanessa and it was a known fact. Not sure who off the top I could put intothe situation as AI that is light skin in the NBA..

Anyone? Anyone?

Let's get real here. This guy tells racists what they want to hear for a living. That's what he's getting paid for. It's his niche. He's the sports world's version of Armstrong Williams.

It's an easy formula. You take somebody with a strong middle- or upper-class background who reacts to their relative success in one of two ways:

a) You've got the lottery winner or delusional individual who doesn't believe they've ever experienced racism in their lives. The racism they areexposed to in popular culture (Soul Plane, claims that their success is a product of affirmative action) they BLAME on lower class people of color. They sidewith their oppressors because they're blind to their own subjugation.

b) You have someone who HAS experienced racism and is at least aware enough to recognize its ubiquity - but they process this as being mistaken for those"lesser" people of color genuinely deserving of blame. This is the classic Chris Rock "black people vs. n words" routine. "I acceptand agree with your stereotype about Black people - just as long as you don't include me. I hate the"bad" Black people, the poor Black people, just as much as you! They're a constant embarrassment! But _I'm_ different! I'm not one ofthem; I'm one of you!"

Whitlock's tiresome routine strikes me as an example of the latter category. Hey, it worked for Bill Cosby.

Does Whitlock issue any truly insightful commentary related to SPORTS? Not that I've read. Is he a well qualified cultural critic in the vein of aMichael Eric Dyson? Please. In the marketplace of ideas, he's selling what people want to hear - and that trumps credentials any day. I'm sure theysell far, far more of those instant weight loss diet placebos than they do gym memberships. Everyone's after the quick fix, the easy answer. In Americansociety, there's no easier answer than to blame poor minorities. Fox News doesn't pull ratings for nothing. People lap this stuff up.
The photographer captured him exactly as he is. You know, when he covered his body in tatts years ago, mimicking a death-row inmate, LeBron invited people to jump to the conclusion that he's dangerous. Yeah, that's the way the image-is-everything game is played.
What a steaming load. That's like telling a rape victim, "Hey, if you didn't want it you shouldn't have dressed soprovocatively."

You think anyone's really mistaking Justin Timberlake or Johnny Depp with death row inmates? What about 'bad boy' Collin Farrell? Old women runTOWARDS these guys.

And what does that fact that Tyler Perry is a "drag-queen moviemaker" have to do with anything?
Homophobia is a BIG hit with the neocon crowd. Seriously, there is no other explanation for it. He took a crack at the guy's heterosexuality- because there's no better way to discredit or ridicule someone.... if you're six years old.

Just look at how much heat the NFL takes for trying to stop Chad Johnson from bojangling. This is why a handbook to clear up the confusion is so necessary. When Johnson slaps in his gold teeth, dyes and cuts his hair into a blonde Mohawk, dances a jig in the end zone and makes life absolute hell on his black coach, that is fun and good for the game.

But when King James apes King Kong it is a terrible blow to the perception of black men.

The irony is that Whitlock only cares about one of these two. The only difference is that Whitlock seems oblivious to the function of power andprivilege in perpetuating stereotype. If you want to get angry with the cast of Soul Plane go for it - but it's the culture that demands a "SoulPlane" that's truly at fault. If every single actor appearing in Soul Plane retired out of shame tomorrow, the same studio could put a sequeltogether by next weekend. Yet, for some reason, we ignore the people cutting the checks and profiting from this exploitation.

When Brett Favre talks trash, he's just a good ol' boy out having fun. He can trash his coach and his team for not improving in the offseason (for notsigning another of Whitlock's mortal enemies: Randy Moss, for example) and it's just a matter of Favre's irrepressible competitive spirit. WhenChad Johnson has fun, he's fulfilling a stereotype. We ought to question why that stereotype is applied so "selectively," first and foremost.

These problems have roots, Whitlock's content to blame each fallen leaf.

I don't see the NFL scrubbing the tattoos off Jeremy Shockey's arms, but they - and the NBA - fall over themselves to placate the racist predilectionsof their audience.

But no, let's sit back and blame people of color for being stereotyped by the mass media and mainstream America - without holding the institutional causesresponsible in any way. That's the "fair and balanced" approach America loves.

From Malcolm X's autobiography:

"So many of those so-called "upperclass" Negroes are so busy trying to impress on the white man that they are "different from those others" that they can't see they are onlyhelping the white man to keep his low opinion of all Negroes."

Back
Top Bottom