Who else out there thinks fraternities are just glorified gangs?

dunks87 wrote:

I've heard from too many people that are in frats/ sororities that it's highly over rated and that if they could go back and do it again, they wouldn't have joined in the first place.

I don't really have a problem with any of these organizations, I just have a problem with how fake a lot of the people become when they get their "letters".

As for me, I don't do well with comformity and being obligated to spend time with people that I probably would have never befriended if it wasn't for this experience, so with that I say PASS.

But to each its own.

AS FOR POST NUMBER 75...

ooooo... good one, kimosabi...

by the way...

BROKE PHI BROKE! WE AIN'T GOT IT!

are we... gonna let our girl go.. and be... wit the cat... IN THE CAR?!

YES WE WILL...

some of you are taking isolated incidents and trying to pretend like its like that for all fraternities....and some of these posts i can respect but some of you are people are just talking with no knowledge on what your talking about

Originally Posted by classified

Buying friends FTL.
QFT.  I don't want to stereotype frats, but yea...
eyes.gif

It's just that mob mentality. I'm sure everyone is familiar with that. I know for damn well if some of these guys were caught alone they'd be an upstanding citizen in most cases.

Originally Posted by KingPiff

Originally Posted by NoneOfYours25

I have a question

So you people that says being a fraternity is great for networking, what happens if your a QUE and you startin networking with a guy that is an ALPHA, what are the chances things don't go well cause you guys are in 2 different frats?

Thats like asking if it'll be problems jus because I'm black and networking with a mexican. It dosen't really matter. There really isn't rivalries like that in the Divine 9 corporate world. Maybe at certain schools but not nationally.

fixed.

It's not for some poeple. And for the outsiders looking in, it's tough to put yourself in their shoes and understand their concepts.

I felt this way until I decided to pledge. One of the best decisions I've ever made and I went into it with the best intentions

But you also have to take into account the reasons people join and how legit their chapter is. The strong chapters will only seek men that have a high drive for success, competitive edge, leadership, and gentlemen like characteristics. Some frats will straight take the "best looking" or "party-ers", which makes them weak-minded and stupid
tired.gif

P, I remember in another post you said that at one point before you did your research, you weren't feeling the idea of pledging.  You had the same mentality that many of the people in this post have.  What exactly made you change your outlook?

I've been on NT for a while, so I've seen you and a few others post about Black Frats.  I remember one time a NT'r said something about pledging, and you hit him with the
smile.gif
let me find out what chapter so I can come through.

I also remember you posting in music, because your frat was having a rap battle against another frat.  Sounded fun, but juvenile as hell.  Frats is making diss tracks now?

I've got a lot of problems with what I've learned about the Frat process as an outsider but I also respect the hell out of majority of the founders, and their envisions.  I went to a few informational meetings last semester, and had every intention of pledging this semester, but life threw me some curve balls.  I told the brothers that I wasn't going to go through the process because I had some other things to take care of that would prevent me from committing 100 percent to the brotherhood.  They were a little disappointed but respected me being real about it. 

But to me it boils down to this.  I'm aware that there is a lot of bull @+%# that goes on behind closed doors.  But a man has to have a code.  And after research, I discovered that my organization of interest's personal code didn't contradict my own moral code. 

So we'll see what's good.

Out

it all depends on where you are at. at My campus we all get along well so theres no gang mentality. I can see how people can draw similarities to gangs (hand signs, colors, calls etc.) we got our rivals but its all in good sport. we just try and out do one another basically. but I have witnessed on other campuses people gettin whooped and taunted just for being in a different organization. its unfortunate but its not their fault, they just were brought up the wrong way. alotta people consider it "buying friends" or "being a sheep" for some people that is the case but for as many people that is true for there are just as many people its not true for. its up to the people thats takin them in to try and weed those types out.

Some of you guys have no idea what you're talking about.

Since when did gangs contribute back to the community?

The frat that I'm does community service for people and we fundraiser events with the proceeds going to third world countries. There are graduate alumnis who come out and give back to the organization by giving workshops to help the newer guys that have crossed. We go out and support other orgs by helping them with their fundraisers as they would for us. Its a big network and yet also a title you hold on campus.

Rival gangs?

Yes there are those rivals but its only because of what people say. I'll admit that we have a rival but its all in good spirit. Last week I was at a party that our frat threw and there were a couple of these so call "rivals" guys there. Nothing happened. We partied and had a good time. Gang members kill each other off. Don't they? I'm not a gangbanger so i dont know the culture but i'm sure it along the lines of killing each other off, taking terrority and telling Lil H and Young K to take care of the bizness.

If anything, we're more like sport teams that are pit against each other because of the history. At the end of the day, if we're playing against each other in flag football or a game of 5 on 5 in hoops, we still shake hands and give each other their dues and respect.

Paying for friends?

Yes I am aware of the paying $500-1000. My frat is a little different. I paid about $150 but the thing is..the $150 that i paid goes into my account. The $150 includes the stitching of the letters on your jacket or the goods to a celebration crossing party. I don't know how it is with other frats, but the money we pay goes pretty much to us.

Just my two cents for now, I have a lot more to say but I'll save it for later.

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Dudes swinging candy canes, yelling and stomping like they don't have any sense? No thanks.[/color]
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by I AM KNOWLEDGE

P, I remember in another post you said that at one point before you did your research, you weren't feeling the idea of pledging.  You had the same mentality that many of the people in this post have.  What exactly made you change your outlook?

I've been on NT for a while, so I've seen you and a few others post about Black Frats.  I remember one time a NT'r said something about pledging, and you hit him with the
smile.gif
let me find out what chapter so I can come through.

I also remember you posting in music, because your frat was having a rap battle against another frat.  Sounded fun, but juvenile as hell.  Frats is making diss tracks now?
I realized them cats were just regular dudes trying to do something with themselves...the great majority of them. Strength comes in numbers...and especially in these rough times, it's not always about what you do but who you know. Any advantage I can have, I'll take it...as long as it's not against my integrity.
As far as the diss track, some Sigma got all sensitive about a step show diss. It happens and it's all in fun. He couldn't step so he made a diss record. In the song, he said something along the lines of...we better think of another step because can't none of us rap. So we made the song, went IN, and shut his #%% up. It was all in good fun. Some of his boys got mad. Some didn't. Dudes will get sensitive about anything regardless...

personally in my school i straight up HATE most of the white frats. honestly, if any of them try to act hard in front of their "bros" (i've witnessed it before) i think i'm gonna go hulk on them. out of every frat party i've been to the environment, people, and overall vibe is something like this...

spanish > black > asain > white

I'm white if that matters. Maybe its just at my school but i literally cant stand most of the white frat boys

im good on that frat stuff, i got a few homies that are kappa's, que's and sigma's, but i can't click up wth a bunch of dudes i don't really know... but thats just me.

my frat of 100 guys has a 3.47 AVERAGE GPA... My pledge class our freshman year had a 3.51 average. that's one benefit...

Originally Posted by Dakingii

this thread is made every month and people keep saying the same !#*@

Does it really matter though?

Have your college fun and stop worrying about the next dudes

Back
Top Bottom