Who else out there thinks fraternities are just glorified gangs?

I got a couple homeboys that are in a frat and they straight be hating on some other dudes because they are in their "rival" frat. They hate those kids with a passion if they have never met them in their life or have had anything done to them by their rivals. The only reason they hate them is cause they were told to. IMO this sounds a lot like Nazism just not to the extreme. I'm not saying that all fraternities are like this but damn there sure is a bunch that are. What you guys think?

as far as i know the black frats at my school get along very well

i don't know about others...

I have a few friends in a frat (white, goes to SUNY Albany, if that matters) and I know for a fact that they are the type of frat who are just looking to have a good time, whether they are their house or another frats house.

My younger bro was in a frat during his time in university.. from what he says, most frats get along just fine but there's some that happens to attract lots of douches.. Whatever.. And nooo.. they're not just glorified gangs.

Originally Posted by classified

Buying friends FTL.
This is exactly wat I think of them pretty much lolz.
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

I JUST made this parallel yesterday in conversation with someone. Although it wasnt based on rivalry so much. Where I go to school, I dont see much rivalry between frats. But I do see a lot of freshman joining frats for the same reason you see some kids joining gangs: they're not the type to stand up and represent themselves, and its a whole lot easier to represent something larger, knowing you have the security of a group of members backing you. Its gotten so bad at my school that they have placed a ban on fall recruitment for freshmen, because too many people quickly look to get involved, and their grades/health suffer. I was just talking to someone on campus last week, and the convo basically went like:
"I'm going to try and rush frat X, but if they dont ask me to join, I'll try frat Y, and then frat Z if that doesnt work"
I was just thinking to myself "do all of those really represent something you feel passionate about? Or are you just in it because you know its easier to meet girls that way instead of actually putting yourself out there?"
I cant comment on midwest/east coast frat culture, because I've never experienced it, and I know theres a lot more history involved with a lot of them. But west coast frats are a joke.

Originally Posted by K2theAblaM

Originally Posted by classified

Buying friends FTL.

Networking with Frat alumni FTW

Idunno about networkin with frat alumni being win. You definitely got to look at what frat and plus theres other ways to network without being in a frat and wasting money. Just my opinion tho.

this thread is made every month and people keep saying the same !#*@

Does it really matter though?

Have your college fun and stop worrying about the next dudes

and to answer your question, no I dont consider them gangs i consider them brotherhoods

As far as the mentality goes, that's exactly what they are, preppy gangs. ANYONE that says other wise is in denial, period. Especially with the fact that you're supposed to get 'beat' in. Of course the drugs don't run as rampant, and they at least attempt to help the community (fraternities do have their up-sides). But in the end they are basically PG-13 Gangs.

For some souls, I will go as far to say that they unknowingly make it their religion... but of course they won't admit it.

Originally Posted by bkmac

I have a few friends in a frat (white, goes to SUNY Albany, if that matters) and I know for a fact that they are the type of frat who are just looking to have a good time, whether they are their house or another frats house.

i went to SUNY and frats used to beat the crap out of each other and most controlled a large part of the drug trade...

so yeah it's kind of like a gang but with a bunch of herbs and pricks thrown in for good measure. probably 50/50. plenty of dudes won't fight one on one but will do something drunk with their frat brothers. especially in suny i've seen some crazy drunken stuff there
laugh.gif

If that's the case, being a hardcore/diehard fan of a sports team is being in a glorified gang as well.

Originally Posted by sooperhooper

As far as the mentality goes, that's exactly what they are, preppy gangs. ANYONE that says other wise is in denial, period. Especially with the fact that you're supposed to get 'beat' in. Of course the drugs don't run as rampid, and they at least attempt to help the community (fraternities do have their up-sides). But in the end they are basically PG-13 Gangs.

For some souls, I will go as far to say that they unknowingly make it their religion... but of course they won't admit it.
Rampid.

Anytime you indoctrinate somebody into an organization with the promises of power, glory, legacy and SECURITY you are creating a person who is willing to fight for your organization at all cost. Fraternities imo are gangs you got dudes saying I'm a Q Dawg to the day I die and fighting dudes in the clubs and streets. A lot of them see their frats as extended family just like gangs due. Many individuals who join these frats are people longing for brothers or some type of family due to them being far away from home and thrust into a foreign environment . When you add this us vs them mentality into the mix you create young men who are thugs . They throw up flags and colors , have their own dances , and hand signs and their own territory. So yes a frat could be called either a gang or a cult. I went to a TSU homecoming event ( first win in the whole decade last year ) and saw the equivalent of a gang barbeque and picnic last year .

I never understood the idea of the "buying friends" idea.

Like any organization you're involved in, you have to pay dues. Paying those dues keeps the organization afloat. Just like playing a sport especially in high school or being involved in anything else, do you not have to raise money?

A lot of this is all a bunch of outsiders looking in and giving their opinion and trying to state it as fact. That's like me saying I know what it's like to live in the grimiest hood and telling you how it is, when I've never stepped one foot or experienced the life.

I'm a Kappa Sigma from San Diego State, and I have my own personal reasons for not being involved and even being called a Ghost Bro, but it's far from paying for friends. Believe that. The networking is the major plus.

My college professor said that there is nothing different between a gang and a fraternity/sorority.
He told us to prove him wrong, and after 10 years or so of teaching he's said no one has yet to do it.
Yeah, in class he convinced all of us. There really is nothing so different about Gangs and Frats.
They both have very similar characteristics.

Originally Posted by sooperhooper

As far as the mentality goes, that's exactly what they are, preppy gangs. ANYONE that says other wise is in denial, period. Especially with the fact that you're supposed to get 'beat' in. Of course the drugs don't run as rampid, and they at least attempt to help the community (fraternities do have their up-sides). But in the end they are basically PG-13 Gangs.

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

I'm sharing that one with the frat bro I work with tomorrow.  That is classic.
To those in this thread who are members: how common is getting your letters tatted on you? I used to work with a dude who was a member of Delta Sigma Epsilon, he had it tatted on his ankle. Doesnt help the argument that frats and gangs are so dissimilar.

Back
Top Bottom