WHO group says processed meat causes cancer, and red meat might as well.

View media item 1763200
Why do they think these are dangerous to our health?

Scientists think that something bad happens to meat during the process of salting, curing or other treatment that causes the build up of carcinogenic chemicals such as N-nitroso-compounds (NOC) and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAH) in the food. In red meat, cooking can also produce suspected carcinogens — in this case heterocyclic aromatic amines (HAA) and PAH. The IARC's report, published in Lancet Oncology, notes that "high-temperature cooking by pan-frying, grilling or barbecuing generally produces the highest amounts of these chemicals."

Washington Post

How can I lower my risk?

Limiting the amount of processed meat and possibly red meat is a place to start. Consider replacing some of the processed meat you consume with fresh versions of meats like chicken. You can also try out other kinds of protein, like eggs and legumes.

TIME

I see all you in the food thread. Chompin down on those stacked burgers and your hot dogs buns barely able to grasp onto that thick juicy meat

Yet, I doubt burger and hot dog sales are slowing down at any ball parks across America

Thank you for the information family.

But i doubt this will change much.

Last edited:
Man, everything causes cancer.

At this point we need some accurate cures. Next thing they gonna tell us is air causes cancer. We need them Elysium cure all tanning beds already.

Carcinogens from char on a burger. Yes it's bad for you in the long run but I enjoy bbq and grilled foods so I'm not going to eat eggs and boiled chicken lol. Any thing can char, corn, other veggies, that blackened stuff on there isn't good either. Keep it moving.

Man, everything causes cancer.

At this point we need some accurate cures. Next thing they gonna tell us is air causes cancer. We need them Elysium cure all tanning beds already.

air already causes cancer...its called POLLUTION.

Definitely made me think twice...

I mean look at all this goodness that we are suppose to stay away from:

Beef jerky
Bacon
Sausage
Hot dogs
Sandwich meat
Frozen pizza with meat
Canned soups with meat
Frozen meals with meat
Ravioli and meat pasta foods
Kid’s meals containing red meat
Sandwich meat used at popular restaurants
Nearly all red meats sold at public schools, restaurants, hospitals, hotels and theme parks

ive made an effort to moderate my consumption of red meat already, however I will never give it up entirely. Lamb is probably my favorite protein source :pimp:

Back
Top Bottom