Who is the all time most famous athlete in the world?

You ask 10 people that’s never been to or lived in America and I bet they can’t name an accomplishment MJ made in basketball. They just know that he’s a famous basketball player.

At most they’ll say he’s won a championship lol but nothing passed that

Will ask my coworker who moved to Canada from India about a year ago tomorrow.

Will report back.

You ask 10 people that’s never been to or lived in America and I bet they can’t name an accomplishment MJ made in basketball. They just know that he’s a famous basketball player.

Why does them knowing his accomplishments matter?

How does that remove his level of popularity?

Seems like a metric you are instituting to reduce his popularity.

You could do the same with Ali. People in HIS oen country don't know specific accomplishments.

So, not even sure what you are even attempting to do here.

You could do the same with Ali. People in HIS oen country don't know specific accomplishments.

I agree. Son is by far trying to down play MJ significance.

The jumpman logo alone is far too recognizable to know that logo is associated with Michael jordan.

He’s A Sports icon just because of that logo alone.

Last edited:

Doesn’t that prove that he’s wildly famous?

Using sports accomplishments as a metric isn’t fair? You wouldn’t even know who Jordan is if it wasn’t for that alone. Same as Serena. I’m basing this off sports.

So you’re just resorting to made up statistics..... bold move

Using sports accomplishments as a metric isn’t fair? You wouldn’t even know who Jordan is if it wasn’t for that alone. Same as Serena. I’m basing this off sports.
The question wasn't, "Which athlete is the world most invested in", if it was then how educated the fans were would matter.

This is simply discussing popularity. The level in which the name scans the globe.

So what you said about MJ could be said about ANY athlete if you section off selective parts of the globe.

So again, I am not seeing the relevance of people knowing/not knowing Jordan's BBALL REF profile in THIS conversation

Someone should do a video going around asking people of all ages who the athletes are and show pics.
More people will recognize LeBron than anyone, in America that is. Mostly people older than late 20s will know who Jordan and Ali are.
Ask 100 people.

Someone should do a video going around asking people of all ages who the athletes are and show pics.
More people will recognize LeBron than anyone, in America that is. Mostly people older than late 20s will know who Jordan and Ali are.

Who would be in Com petition with LeBron for current American athletes?

Why?

Not agreeing or disagreeing. Not sure who I would say was more popular.

While Mike Tyson had notoriety and was absolutely must-watch in the ring (during his prime,) I'd never consider him to be a global BRAND like Lebron. There's a big difference, IMO.

While Mike Tyson had notoriety and was absolutely must-watch in the ring (during his prime,) I'd never consider him to be a global BRAND like Lebron. There's a big difference, IMO.
My response would be,

You couldn't sell-out the Tokyo DOME vs. a no-named fighter if you weren't a global brand.

Pretty sure it would be the same for Ronaldo.

What generation you guys targeting with this?

Anyone under thirty know anything about Ali outside of that he is a boxer?
MJ's shoe brand keeps his legacy alive and well possibly even growing.
Cristiano has come up in another era with social media driving popularity/famousness.
Pele is the biggest name in the biggest sport.

If pressed to pick one TODAY, it would be MJ for the fact that multiple generations are still alive today who saw him play, his brand is still popular among consumers who didn't see him play, and his contemporaries are still active in media to keep the legend growing.

I agree. Son is by far trying to down play MJ significance.

The jumpman logo alone is far too recognizable to know that logo is associated with Michael jordan.

He’s the Sports icon just because of that logo alone.
I view the Jumpman logo as a symbol of how brilliant Nike is. I view my fav Jordan’s in the series to how brilliant Tinker was. I view the retro’s to how brilliant Nike marketing is at staying relevant. When it comes to Nike/Jordan I don’t think of MIcheal Jordan the person at all. Ever time I think of MJ the person I think of a douche.

If it wasn’t for Nike would MJ even be considered more famous than Magic Johnson?

Back
Top Bottom