Who really started "swag" in hip hop? Vol. Proof..I guess I got mah swagga back!

Or rather, who popularized it? I still say dipset did with lil b taking it to the next level, jay's claim seems like a reach but maybe my memory is hazy.

Its tough to pick just 1 name... But some of the best to do it would have to be -

10668_Ol-Dirty-Bastard_.jpg

GhostfaceKillah281x211.jpg

5206_w5f9imfgmf825_al.jpg

camron.jpg

& he didn't start it, but in a post about swag in hip-hop he's gotta be mentioned
laugh.gif
-

kanye-west-i-told-you-so.jpg

Puff exemplified it first in the mainstream

Jay recorded it first on wax to the mainstream

Dipset and Fab got it poppin to create cult followings
Kanye gave birth to last swag wave

since then its just become overused n wack....now it just points to an individual who is mimicking somebody he seen doing what he liked before him and he may add his lil one or two personal things to look like his own man

Biggie and Puff made it popular in the mainstream...

But...

Big Daddy Kane started that whole bragodocio (sp) thing in hip hop.

/

If you're talking about using the word swag and making it a everyday word, I would have to say Lil Wayne....If you go back to D2-C2 days thats when everyone started using that word, before that i dont recall rappers taking about swag this and swag that.

Originally Posted by VegasOner

If you're talking about using the word swag and making it a everyday word, I would have to say Lil Wayne....If you go back to D2-C2 days thats when everyone started using that word, before that i dont recall rappers taking about swag this and swag that.

This.

Jay said it on Blueprint but What started the last 2 or so years of over usage was Wayne using the word "swagger" from 06-08 then Swagger Like Us came out and the kids shortened it to "swag" and then that was that 

just realized i sounded rather pompous, i hate being that dude. I see people really didnt listen to blueprint or understand the sample on OTIS from 'All i need' ("I guess i got my swagger back/ mama they say i killed a man, guess i got the dagger back"). Jay definitely introduced it to hip-hop verbally on wax IMO. thats 2001 and i dont remember anyone using it as slang before then. but i definitely could be wrong.

I will say swag was made popular buy artist mentioned earlier in this thread.

Back
Top Bottom