Who saw that NIGHTLINE segment on Sneakerheads?

lol i feel like that how most "sneaker heads" act and think now a days though. only difference is most can drive

That was exactly what I thought it was going to be...hated every second of watching it...

15-year-old with rich parents...

not impressed...

never been to a "sneaker convention" just for that reason...

JM

As much as I don't want to knock someone's hustle...

It's like those kids don't even care about the shoes...

All they care about is trading up to say they have the most rare/hyped/expensive shoe.

Then make a couple hundred when they sell it off

Rinse, repeat

All they care about is trading up to say they have the most rare/hyped/expensive shoe.

Rinse, repeat

AGREED. Not knocking the"hustle', but part of what I appreciate about some NTers, is that they have a sense of what they like and have some connection with their passion/hobby/addiction- whatever you want to deem it.

For example, I might know that yeezys are rare and hyped or DB Jordans, or MVP Lebrons, but I still probably wouldn't package three or four of my "favorites" to trade "up" for em. I struggle with, "do i NEED these shoes in my life" or do I just like knowing I have them/own them/wear them, etc.... Need is really non-existent- as I mentioned, its a hobby and a love I have. Trying to keep it in perspective is the challenge. Many people in here have thousands of their hard earned or otherwise dollars tied up in sneakers and what they love, but at the same time, what are they without them? Again, lots of NTers seem to have good perspective and life "outside" sneakers. They are passionate about religion, politics, work, family, sports, other hobbies, the arts, etc...

When I see these "new skool Sneaker kids", I wonder what else do they have going on? Probably sports, probably school,and friends, but thinking they will grow up and still be involved in sneakers is probably far fetched. Its the "IN thing" or thing of the moment and like video games, pokemon, roleplay games, facebook, ipods,, and the like they probably will fade away once something newer and better comes along. No hate, no knock, but just sad to know for some of us, what we are truly passionate about, these young kids just think they can do and thrive at without the true appreciation for how it started and whats behind it all- backstory, history, how sneakers have evolved, etc... End ramble, hopefully I made my point.

:tongue:

What ever happened to loving the shoes because they resonate with you, not just because they're super limited.

What ever happened to loving the shoes because they resonate with you, not just because they're super limited.
I like super limited shoes because I can resell them. Money is more important to me than materialistic items I don't really need. I can use money for better things other than sneakers. 

lololol.....
roll.gif

but still; what clark kent said was pretty true.

Can you imagine in about 5-10 years when these kids need a job. What are they gonna do without there parents...
Didn't his dad give him 1600 and he flipped that into 3k? I'm sure he will be just fine in 5 to 10 years.

Rinse, repeat

I like super limited shoes because I can resell them. Money is more important to me than materialistic items I don't really need. I can use money for better things other than sneakers. 
... You're playing all of us who buy to wear like a Wall Street stoke broker. There are better things to invest in than sneakers anyway if you're merely buying to flip

lololol.....
roll.gif

but still; what clark kent said was pretty true.

Can you imagine in about 5-10 years when these kids need a job. What are they gonna do without there parents...
Didn't his dad give him 1600 and he flipped that into 3k? I'm sure he will be just fine in 5 to 10 years.
on the cool, when i saw that i was like "homie eatin"

dude gave no damns too

did you see how he laughed when he made an extra hundun off the kid whose mom was givin the sob story? 

dude ratchet

true story, damn those kids got parents who willingly threw lot money for their kids buying sneakers :smh: those kids already started doing business in early age by reselling sneakers. hope this hype will saturate soon and price market will drop to normal......AGAIN!

Here's the link for those that care.

Are they far off, though?

90% of the kids at that sneaker convention are too young to drive. lmao.

I used to work for this kids father. Great guy but gotta say this kid got a bankroll fallback we could only dream of. Respect the kids hustle. Def reminds me of his dad. In a lot of ways they actually do the same thing. Apple don't fall far from the tree.

Here's the link for those that care.

Are they far off, though?

90% of the kids at that sneaker convention are too young to drive. lmao.

I used to work for this kids father. Great guy but gotta say this kid got a bankroll fallback we could only dream of. Respect the kids hustle. Def reminds me of his dad. In a lot of ways they actually do the same thing. Apple don't fall far from the tree.

i mean, thats usually how it always is

rich kids usually learn from their parents, they dont ever actually eclipse their parents in wealth but they live comfortably from the start up and learning from them

I am saddened at the state of the sneaker culture today. I took pride in being the resident expert and go-to guy in my community. If I didn't know the answer, I could always fall back on my inner circle for the answers. We were true sneaker heads. Didn't grow up with silver spoons in our mouths and most of us didn't get our first pair of high end kicks until we started working our own jobs. Moms & pops didn't believe in dropping $100 + on a single pair of sneakers. I remember my first pairs of quality kicks were the original Air Alpha Force and Air Delta Force. I cleaned them with soap/water, Aquanet hair spray and a tooth brush. Even though I couldn't afford them as a kid, my love and devotion did not waiver. I learned as much as I could from as many sources. I knew more about Bill Bowerman and Blue Ribbon sports than I did my school work. That's a majority of the reason why I have been a huge University of Oregon Fan all these years while the rest of LA residents bleed LSU purple/gold. I spent many years as a Footlocker/Champs manager, which only helped fuel my addiction. This was back when we had brand representatives visit the individual stores with samples of upcoming releases for the year. Back when employee appreciation had NO exclusion list and NO spending limit. The love was pure and real, not trendy and exploitative. I have since fallen back from Brand Jordan and Nike as a whole, but I still have the thirst for certain kicks. I love the Zoom Revis line but limited my consumption to 2 colorways (firs and volts). I only buy what I like and not what society dubbs HOT. The kids in this documentary are a slap in the face and insult to my generation that bought and collected. I have NO deadstock pairs anymore because my priorities as a husband and father have shifted. Instead of buying 2-3 pairs of a shoe (1 to wear now, 1 to wear next year and 1 for bragging rights) I only buy what I know I will either wear casually or hoop in. That doesn't mean I don't keep a watchful eye on the shoe "game", just means I am a crafty vet who plays it with that refined fade-away jumper ala a seasoned, older and wiser MJ; instead of with the youthful explosion and lack of awareness ala a young, raw LeBron with limitless potential. BTW, I did not, and still don't believe in standing in lines or camping out. Part of the rights-of-passage of being the "shoe guy" was earning the respect of those in a position to be considered a "Fire Connect" by wowing them with your sneaker knowledge and dedication to the craft; even before my management gigs. Just my 2 cents.

^^^ and don't let the post count, join date or reputation fool you. I had to get a new log in and screen name because I could not recall or retrieve my old password as it was saved to my old CPU which died on me. Formerly known as DIMEZ10 with original join date in 2004 or 05. Back when membership was not instant but rather you had to wait to be approved for membership

Back
Top Bottom