Who's watching The Tonight Show w/ Leno TONIGHT? i think it's on right now for the east coast

Jamie Foxx is wildin out on Leno's show and Leno does not know how to handle it. One thing with Letterman, every guests usually wear suits or have on pretty dresses and they treat it like a real talk show. One thing I've always liked about Letterman is his ability to take control in the interview section of the program at all times.

what did jay leno do wrong though? 

they gave conan o' brien a shot and it wasn't successful.

Originally Posted by axel f0ley

Leno wasn't successful at the beginning either. They gave him time and look where he is today.

Think i'll be same as always, don't really watch, but when i do, the guests determine whether i tune in to jay or not. Whereas with Conan or Jimmy you watch for them and the comedy.

Originally Posted by JPZx

Leno wasn't successful at the beginning either. They gave him time and look where he is today.
one key to Lenos success was his lead-in show, i think Law&Order.
what was Conan's Tonight Show lead-in show? Leno's wack 10PM show.
wack lead-in show contributes to lower ratings for Conan.
So really, what kind of shot did NBC give Conan?

Originally Posted by COOLnificent

Never watched & I don't plan on starting now
grin.gif

He openly campaigned for his old job back once Conan took over, he supported NBC's plan to move The Tonight Show to 12:05 in order to put his show on at 11:35, he went along with NBC ousting another comedian out of the show that he agreed 5 years ago to give up, and didn't bow out gracefully when his time was up.

so do you think conan had a decent chance or not?
I didn't think his ratings would be as low as they were, but it wasn't a huge surprise given the show's short time on air.  Putting Leno at 10 not only gave him an AWUL lead-in, but it also took away a partial audience who wouldn't want to watch another talk show.  Not to mention despite having his own Late Night show for 17 years or so, his Tonight Show was still finding it's voice and style, so no, he wasn't given a decent chance.

nope, i'm done with leno. i didn't like him that much before, so that debacle pretty much clinched it for me.

Originally Posted by Fundamental21Ticket

One thing with Letterman, every guests usually wear suits or have on pretty dresses and they treat it like a real talk show. One thing I've always liked about Letterman is his ability to take control in the interview section of the program at all times.

You must not have watched tonight's show w/Bill Murray.

You know when youre playing a videogame and a little kid begs you to play? You tell him sure after I die, or after I beat this level, etc. You end up giving him the controller when you just have no other option but to let him play, but you purposely let him play on a tough level. You say "You get one try then I get back to playing". You give him the controller and watch him struggle to learn the complicated controls as he loses quickly, and you take the controller back.

Yeah, thats basically the whole Leno/NBC/O'Brien situation

(And my childhood while begging my older friends to play street fighter or goldeneye
laugh.gif
frown.gif
)

but the jay leno show didn't come along until september. how was conan faring then, before he was preceded by leno?

Originally Posted by AbstraKt

Originally Posted by Fundamental21Ticket

One thing with Letterman, every guests usually wear suits or have on pretty dresses and they treat it like a real talk show. One thing I've always liked about Letterman is his ability to take control in the interview section of the program at all times.

You must not have watched tonight's show w/Bill Murray.
Well, Bill Murray and Bruce Willis are regulars on the show and are known to do wild things, so you expect that. 

yea I noticed that too guests tend to REALLY dress up when they go on letterman, ladies dressed like oscar night and %*@%

that's because letterman guests have to a whole bunch of pre-interview sessions mumbo-jumbo.

that's because letterman guests have to a whole bunch of pre-interview sessions mumbo-jumbo.

That's how ALL talk shows are done.  Check out Vin Diesel interviews a few years back he told the same story again, and again, and again
laugh.gif

but the jay leno show didn't come along until september. how was conan faring then, before he was preceded by leno?
Still poor, but he was also on during the summer, filled with reruns, reality shows, and crappy summer pilots.

Fact remains, Conan was given 7 months at 11:35 which is not enough time to build an audience for that hour or find his voice and humor for an earlier audience, and not to mention NBC royally screwed the pooch handling the whole late night ordeal in every imaginable way.

Back
Top Bottom