Why are drugs bad?

because DARE and McGruff told me so.
Why is drug use looked down upon in our society?
I know I personally look down on people who blaze everyday or who use coke/ecstasy even if it is "reasonable" amounts.

....possibly because you (and others) view them as burnouts. Not putting forth the effort to reach their full potential. The association with crime doesn't help.

Having rotated through a jail inpatient psychiatric unit, drugs are no damn good. Do some people use them casually with no/minimal affect on their life? Sure. But they have terrible potential to ruin lives and families. I've seen too many awful stories

From my experience with friends, family, patients and what I've heard/read I tend to group drugs

Group 1 - no one should ever do or even try once
heroin
meth
crack cocaine
PCP
bath salts

The above are either too addicting and ruin lives bc of addiction or they are acutely dangerous

Group 2 - some folks can handle it
coke
ectasy/molly
LSD and shrooms

The above can be dangerous if done incorrectly - too much taken, mixing with other drugs, no sitter etc. But there are plenty of people who take them socially without any major problems

Alcohol, tobacco, and weed are in their own groups.

Alcohol is safe in moderation but alcohol in excess causes dangerous acute and chronic issues

To my knowledge there is no proven minimum level of tobacco needed to cause cancer so no amount is "safe". Chronically very damaging but no real acute issues.

To my knowledge marijuana has not been definitively linked to any long term issues (been linked to memory loss but dont recall a causal link being proven, may be mistaken) and unaware of any acute overdoses -> death ever.

Originally Posted by three6mafia

cause thats what the government wants u to think..

nothing wrong with weed though. and i do hallucinogens(shrooms, acid) like twice a year. nice way to "expand" your mind.
wish i could get some DMT
Me too. I have been asking people for years...

In my area, 95% of people have no clue what it is and the other 5% wishes they could find it too...

Originally Posted by youngdoc

From my experience with friends, family, patients and what I've heard/read I tend to group drugs

To my knowledge marijuana has not been definitively linked to any long term issues (been linked to memory loss but dont recall a causal link being proven, may be mistaken) and unaware of any acute overdoses -> death ever.

early use is linked to schizophrenia. Also, long term heavy use can result in cannabinoid induced hyperemesis. Even as a non user, I was skeptical about it until I ended up with several patients with all the symptoms. Really whacky thing, but would suck to have

because the govt says so.

ohwell.gif

i group trees up with natural things like coffee and teas.

Originally Posted by tree4twenty

Originally Posted by three6mafia

cause thats what the government wants u to think..

nothing wrong with weed though. and i do hallucinogens(shrooms, acid) like twice a year. nice way to "expand" your mind.
wish i could get some DMT
Me too. I have been asking people for years...

In my area, 95% of people have no clue what it is and the other 5% wishes they could find it too...
same here... id be down to make a trip for it too lol.

If you are having trouble finding DMT I would recommend making your own. It really is as simple as baking a cake once you find all the ingredients for the recipe.

Back to the topic at hand...

I think we need to look at who is saying drugs are bad instead of asking why they are bad.

I do agree that drugs can be bad for certain people. For instance, people with preexisting mental issues should never experiment with psychedelic drugs including marijuana. I've seen it cause major problems in the long run because these substances bring out that problems. As far as cocaine, heroin, and such, if you can do these in moderation then there isn't a problem. Anything in excess is terrible for you, too much sugar, too much coffee, too much alcohol, but if you limit yourself to how much you use then you wont have a problem.

basically to answer your question op and not give the typical government regulation propaganda answer, it is looked down upon because of the outward perception of someone who abuses drugs.

Even in older cultures drug abuse was looked down on. You used them when you were a certain age and was usually guided through your experience through an elder or a shaman. someone who cultivated and educated the community on drugs and the actual experience. Not just getting a buzz, but using that buzz (vibration) to better yourself.

drugs are medicine.
medicine is a business
in business, you cut out competitors and corner your market
drug laws put corners all around the market allowing them to contain and control everything

Originally Posted by milestailsprowe

Originally Posted by Swamp

ya drugs are bad……. but the ones the government says ok are fine..

Originally Posted by ATLien Seeko

Because it says it in the law book.

Alcohol and cigarettes aren't bad because it says it's ok in the law book.

Tune in tomorrow and we'll learn why black people are bad.

Yea they tried to OUTLAW for alcohol and we all know how that went plus cigarettes they are taxing that to death.

Those are legal because those two have been apart of American culture since the colonies. Alcohol has been engraved in human history for centuries. Making that illegal goes nowhere. 

so has hemp and cannabis. both were in human history for ages. it was a political move making it illegal, in this country at least. all the resentment people have toward cannabis, really is just historical from how it was treated when it was made illegal(for political reasons) i dont consider the use of drugs as bad. even tho i think people who are addicted and cant function in society, need help. they dont need to be thrown in jail, imo.   people are addicted to a lot of things, regardless if its drugs or not. we have a problem with obesity because some people are addicted to fast food. rather be a weedhead than a 500 lb man. 

Group 1 - no one should ever do or even try once
heroin
meth
crack cocaine
PCP
bath salts

The above are either too addicting and ruin lives bc of addiction or they are acutely dangerous

Group 2 - some folks can handle it
coke
ectasy/molly
LSD and shrooms

The above can be dangerous if done incorrectly - too much taken, mixing with other drugs, no sitter etc. But there are plenty of people who take them socially without any major problems

Alcohol is safe in moderation but alcohol in excess causes dangerous acute and chronic issues

To my knowledge there is no proven minimum level of tobacco needed to cause cancer so no amount is "safe". Chronically very damaging but no real acute issues.

All of this.

You say NO to drugs

Spoiler [+]
Juicy J can't

Because, after reading about MJ for six months, I've come to the conclusion if marijuana was legalized the pharmaceutical industry would collapse.

I'm assuming the people we elect to run this country (Congress) have too many buddies in the industry that would take a haymaker to the bank account.

I don't think people would get the legalization they want. FDA would get involved, companies would start adding ingredients that were never used before; look what they did to tobacco. The stuff you get at you local corner shop is not solely what grows in the fields, a lot of additives hit it before it goes in the carton.
Whatever name brand MJ begins to have recognition like Marlboro will [really be detrimental to your health.

Almost all these alcohol comments got me shaking my head. Amazing how legalizing something causes people to believe it's not as harmful as other substances.
For the record Alcohol is one of the worst ones.

EDIT:Wr knows whats up.

Drug use is the voluntary destrustion of self that also affects one's family, and eventually the community. 
Drugs are bad because they also affect the innocent.

Back
Top Bottom