Why are people so sure Babe Ruth didnt use steroids?

Originally Posted by SHUGES

TS brings up a good point imo.

You guys REALLY think baseball players weren't doing SOMETHING to get an edge back in the days??

People act like cheating was invented at the same time as steroids.....

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Yeah man, Ty Cobb used to wear golf cleats and would sharpen the hell out ofhis spikes to mess up people when he slid.

Like how other 40 year olds have numbers similar to Bonds?

Bonds was a superior player who used superior minds to juice himself up. Not every 38,39,40 year old player is going to magically put up Bondsnumbers if they roid. However, what we DID see is the older players hanging on and still being productive. In the old day you got old in your mid-30's andstarted to fall off. That was human. Then magically for over a decade we were seeing players perform at high levels in the upper 30's and keep making thatcash. That was abnornal. And that's further proof of the culture of drugs.

Ruth likely didn't use "steroids." Did he take other avenues to cheat? Who knows. But i think we are wasting our time going back and wondering ifBabe Ruth was roided up in the 20's.

nah, real talk...if anybody seen that Costas Now show with Willie Mays & Hank Aaron, Willie somewhat admitted to taking something "he didnt know"that his doctor gave to "help/boost" him or whatever. Surprised nobody looked harder at that...

and yea, these old +$! columnists/beat writers stay dismissing any arguements on Ty Cobb, Gaylord Perry, and the rest of these dudes in order to perserve theirgeneration. Dudes is gonna look for an edge in any sport, its gonna always be like that.

I dont understand how baseball seems to be the only sport where they just decide to not seperate generations. Babe Ruth and them aint play against anyblack/brown players, why should I give a %%%+ about his numbers?

Amphetamines were wildly popular amongst baseball players.

Willie Mays use amphetamines during his career.

I don't see what was the point of cheating back then if they weren't making much money to begin with, its not like there is a motive the way there isnow with the ridiculous salaries. Was steroids even around back in the 1900's?

babe Ruth was fat as hell. Beer and hot dogs my man.
laugh.gif

C'mon Mez, I know people that cheat at Monopoly!
laugh.gif

From a young age, kids are cheating at Go Fish.
laugh.gif

Dudes cheating on-line on Halo or NBA 2k... Radar detectors are for what? To cheat the law.

Unlocked cell phones... Downloaded music... PPV streams... Husband stepping out on his wife (or vice versa)... are all forms of cheating.

It's just naturally IN people to get an upper-hand, an advantage, or an edge.

ESPECIALLY at anything that is competitive in nature.

Why is baseball any different?

Like I said, some of you guys are acting like cheating in baseball started when steroids came along.

Just when you thought that the stupidest +%## ever has been said on NT, FR3SH comes through to top it.
roll.gif

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

Babe Ruth wouldn't hit more than 400 if he played against Koufax, Gibson, Seaver.

I think you MIGHT be able to say that...if he wasnt like a .370 lifetime hitter or something like that. With his raw power that he had, as well as just howinstinctive and great a hitter he was, he probably wouldve amassed close to the amount of HRs he finished with.

because he is the "The Sultan of Swat", "The King of Crash", "The Colosus of Clout", The Colosus of Clout", and "TheGreat Bambino"!!!

Originally Posted by IncredibleEv

Babe Ruth wouldn't hit more than 400 if he played against Koufax, Gibson, Seaver.

I think you MIGHT be able to say that...if he wasnt like a .370 lifetime hitter or something like that. With his raw power that he had, as well as just how instinctive and great a hitter he was, he probably wouldve amassed close to the amount of HRs he finished with.
We don't know any of that. It's clear that Babe would have been great no matter what era he played in but people fail to realize thatpitchers before Ruth ushered in the live ball era, didn't use curve balls, split fingers, change ups, to fool hitters they just spit on the baseball orapplied turpentined to it. Once that was outlawed and the live ball live ball era started it was very obvious pitchers then were artificial in there ability.(This includes Babe's days as a pitcher).

IMO nobody will ever be able replicate Babe Ruths numbers because pitchers simply were not as good.

Plus baseball is a culture of cheating, they have been cheating since this game was invented.

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

I think you MIGHT be able to say that...if he wasnt like a .370 lifetime hitter or something like that. With his raw power that he had, as well as just how instinctive and great a hitter he was, he probably wouldve amassed close to the amount of HRs he finished with.
We don't know any of that. It's clear that Babe would have been great no matter what era he played in but people fail to realize that pitchers before Ruth ushered in the live ball era, didn't use curve balls, split fingers, change ups, to fool hitters they just spit on the baseball or applied turpentined to it. Once that was outlawed and the live ball live ball era started it was very obvious pitchers then were artificial in there ability. (This includes Babe's days as a pitcher).

IMO nobody will ever be able replicate Babe Ruths numbers because pitchers simply were not as good.

Plus baseball is a culture of cheating, they have been cheating since this game was invented.

I agree about the cheating, theres been little things that players and managers been doing since the 1870s that if were brought up today people would be likeDamn they really did that?

But to say Babe wouldn't hit 400 HRs that is pushing it. I could see if it was originally said "he wouldnt hit more than 600" but im pretty surehed be at least in the 500 club if not way more. And there were some pitchers in Babe's time that were unhittable due to extreme fastballs (walter johnson)and nasty nasty breaking stuff (Christy matthewson), so you cant say they were all lobbing it up there.

I get what you're saying but we're talking about steroids specifically, I don't know how else you would cheat?

For the record I would always be the bank and cheat every single time, stack of 500's in my pocket ftw.

How are do you OP. He built a $+!%#%@ house for cryin' out loud!

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

We don't know any of that. It's clear that Babe would have been great no matter what era he played in but people fail to realize that pitchers before Ruth ushered in the live ball era, didn't use curve balls, split fingers, change ups, to fool hitters they just spit on the baseball or applied turpentined to it. Once that was outlawed and the live ball live ball era started it was very obvious pitchers then were artificial in there ability. (This includes Babe's days as a pitcher).

I agree about the cheating, theres been little things that players and managers been doing since the 1870s that if were brought up today people would be like Damn they really did that?

But to say Babe wouldn't hit 400 HRs that is pushing it. I could see if it was originally said "he wouldnt hit more than 600" but im pretty sure hed be at least in the 500 club if not way more. And there were some pitchers in Babe's time that were unhittable due to extreme fastballs (walter johnson) and nasty nasty breaking stuff (Christy matthewson), so you cant say they were all lobbing it up there.
"Prior to the 1930 season in the bigs, there were no ground-rule doubles. If the ball bounced out of the park, provided the first bounce wasin fair territory, then it was a home run, no questions asked."

"Although a lack of precision instruments prevented accurate measurement of his fastball, in 1917, a Bridgeport (Conn.) arms laboratory recorded Johnson's fastball at 134 feet per second, which is equal to 91.36 milesper hour (147.03 km/h). This speed is not unheard of today,"

Barry Bonds is the closest thing we have to Ruth today even without the roids.

really only 91 on the walter johnson fastball? ive heard people talk about how it was the fastest ever, i wonder how true that is.

A lot of people saying baseball is wack because there are cheaters.

LOL.

I'm sure football is steroid free.
eyes.gif

Back
Top Bottom