Why are some well off people so frugal?

I know a Sudanese guy here worth a couple mill easy and dude rocks the same dusty *** sandals everyday. ***** are worn the HELL out. No one says anything.
Why give a **** what someone else is wearing whats it got to do with you? :lol:

My issue with OP and other like him is the sideline criticisms. How could someone else dressing annoy you? Especially if you know they have money how the hell does what they wear bother you?

BAN problems like I said people just want to justify hating somebody doing better.

So is wearing dusty sandals and being worth a couple mil normal behavior to you? Does that dude have a single ounce of self-respect?
Im saying people should go to the extremes. A poor dude shouldnt spend all his money on sneakers and a rich dude shouldn't dress like a bum.

Last edited:
I guess once you become rich you no longer need to wear clean clothes. I guess you dont need to clean your house as well. Why even take showers or shave, youre rich. Right.

Only poor people take showers.

Maybe this dude is ok with people coming over his house smelling like sewage and sitting on his furniture. Nobody is going to sit their funky butt on my furniture and dirty my house up.

Last edited:
Those cats in the "Dressing Better" thread needs to read this thread and maybe they can understand that they "Wilding, Thinking They Doing It", when they can live humbly DOING IT!!

Its a good feeling seeing your money stack up. Materialistic things dont mean everything to everyone. For some folks, seeing a lot of commas in their bank accts mean a lot more than wearing the coolest clothes or driving the most expensive cars.

As someone who is a product of old money, let me shed some light on this issue. We do spend money, a lot of money in fact, but much of the spending is on things that are not particularly visible.

Wine collections, country club dues, high quality clothing vacation homes, farms, vineyards, boats, horses, kayaks, camping gear, advanced degrees, alumni donations, charitable givings, political influence and long trips abroad are not visible to the casual observer. Those aforementioned purchases are either intangibles, experiences, credentials, kept in or under one's home or they are tangible but are not made to impress outside observers and they are made to last.

A lot of our outerwear, sweaters, suits, dress shoes and watches are expensive and we want them to not look dated after just a year or two so we opt for clean lines, little ornamentation and generally timeless cut and colors. From a distance and at first blush, a dark tan pea coat, a blue sweater and a watch sans gold and diamonds do not look impressive but if you ask or and/or have a very sharp eye, you will see that the watch is a century in age and that the coat and sweater were custom made, for my late great-grand father who was also 6'3, long armed and wide at the chest and shoulders. When we want novelty and/or bright colors, we get that through polos, linen pants, boat shoes, golf apparel and work out gear. Robin Williams was correct when he said that golf is popular among old, white men because it lets them dress like young, black pimps. Sailing and camping and cycling are similar outlets for patricians to show off new and flashy apparel.

Sneakers, cars, the latest fashion, the latest electronic gear, a giant mansion, your own private jet and popping bottles at the club are meant to display wealth just as much as to bring genuine utility to the buyer.

Some old money types look down on conspicuous consumption but I respect new money people because they made the money themselves and they did it despite not starting life with money, connections and easy access to a great education. If you grew up poor or even middle class, you wear constrained by a budget. Even if you came from a solidly middle class household, money limited what you could do so when you become rich, I can see why you may never tire of shopping sprees for clothes and shoes and electronics and jewels and I can imagine the satisfaction that comes from knowing that other people are envious of your car.

If you made that money, go out and enjoy it. All I would say is that a new or old money person is foolish if he or she fails to save or worse yet, goes into debt. The best part of being rich, be it first or tenth generation rich is the joy of knowing that your descendants will be free from want and in capitalist economic system, complete with sophisticated financial markets, a few million unspent and wisely invested dollars can provide a comfortable lifestyle for your children and your children's children forever.

Agree 100% with this. Most people don't see the "other side of the coin." Pun not intended :lol:

BTW, a lot of you guys here totally missed the point the OP is trying to make. He's not saying it's wrong to spend money. He's wondering why wealthy people whom he knows doesn't do it.

You guys were really quickly crucify him though :smh:

Last edited:
People who got money dress like theyre broke and people that are broke dress like they got money

learned this after working at the bank and confirming by looking at their account.

Plus you have some people who have an ancestor that put the family on and there are sometimes covenants to getting that money.

I've met some older frugal rich ppl before and the thing they have in common from my experience is being around
remembering the older economic collapses and watching the contraction of money and property ownership of the depressions before. They aren't rich because they like money, yet they are rich as a cautionary position.

Its a good feeling seeing your money stack up. Materialistic things dont mean everything to everyone. For some folks, seeing a lot of commas in their bank accts mean a lot more than wearing the coolest clothes or driving the most expensive cars.

Ok, but you dont think that its ok for them to wear dirty draws and not wash up, right?

Last edited:
It's nice to type how it's good for someone to not show off their money and how truly wealthy guys drive 95 camrys but the minute someone comes on here with their new lambo, everyone is on their sack asking how they did it and wishing they were like them. I mean I don't see any threads saying "post pictures of wealthy people with joe schmoe clothing on"

I think some wealthy people enjoy the pursuit of even greater wealth through frugality, and I don't think there's anything wrong with that.  Even some people who can afford to have all sorts of "stuff" are happier to simply think about "stuff" in terms of how much "stuff" they could buy with their growing investments.

Because you short sighted fool. Some people are les of a victims of the American religion which is consumerism. Some people actually see long term gains rather than instant gratification. Instead of being so mad they aren't like you spending their money on plastic that doesn't hold any monetary value, you should perhaps learn from frugal folk and start seeing that the future is uncertain and perhaps having some money, preferably gold, would come in handy when bums are out in the streets robbing people cus they couldn't keep money in their savings account.
Game.Set.Match.

i also can see it from this point of view . . . on your death bed, it's gonna be real pointless that you went through life without enjoying it because you were always saving money​

at the end of your life, it's just paper​

Agree. But also not everyone who prefers not to spend a lot of money are doing it to save money. Some people don't care to have "overly" fancy stuff.

Last edited:
ha, if you have money (regardless how you earned it or how it was given to you), then you have the right to spend or NOT spend it.

Some people understand the time value of money. Others don't.

It's nice to type how it's good for someone to not show off their money and how truly wealthy guys drive 95 camrys but the minute someone comes on here with their new lambo, everyone is on their sack asking how they did it and wishing they were like them. I mean I don't see any threads saying "post pictures of wealthy people with joe schmoe clothing on"

Exactly, dudes in this thread talking about how good it is to be frugal acting like they haven't spent thousands of dollars on sneakers :lol:
Practice what you preach.

OP has a slight point.

Whats all that money if you dont really enjoy it cause youre worried about what the future holds. You earned it, enjoy it.

But if they are happy how they are, why tell then how to spend THEIR money.

OP has a slight point.

Whats all that money if you dont really enjoy it cause youre worried about what the future holds. You earned it, enjoy it.

But if they are happy how they are, why tell then how to spend THEIR money
Spend it how you want

I know a Sudanese guy here worth a couple mill easy and dude rocks the same dusty *** sandals everyday. ***** are worn the HELL out. No one says anything.
Why give a **** what someone else is wearing whats it got to do with you? :lol:

My issue with OP and other like him is the sideline criticisms. How could someone else dressing annoy you? Especially if you know they have money how the hell does what they wear bother you?

BAN problems like I said people just want to justify hating somebody doing better.

So is wearing dusty sandals and being worth a couple mil normal behavior to you? Does that dude have a single ounce of self-respect?
Im saying people should go to the extremes. A poor dude shouldnt spend all his money on sneakers and a rich dude shouldn't dress like a bum.

He is obviously comfortable in his worn sandals though. And I would see why, sandals are convenient. Especially in Dubai where Law3001 lives. Why should he spend money on something he would be uncomfortable in?

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/Dubai+United+Arab+Emirates+AEXX0004

I'm sure that man enjoys life in a way that you cannot see. Such as vacations, property, and other good features.

Self Respect? Who are you to judge someones SELF respect? :lol:

Another example. Pakistani dude in on my block work out a dusty as convenient store with pops and brother. **** is the size of closet with random nonsense in it and cats be wearing sandals, worn out polos and khakis EVERDAY. I find out they own 6 other stores and live in a better spot than me. Dude is driving his BMW in them same worn out clothes and kicks. Pops got the range rover around the corner ain't been moved from the parking spot in months. They don't give a **** what they look like its about taking care of them and their own.

Homies kids are in one of the top private schools, wife has all the fly clothes and they stay in a phat apartment bigger than mine :lol:

My cousin is in Import/Export out here and this guy doesn't even get his haircut that often line be all ****** up but he got money out the ***.

No one looks at them like they stupid.

Yall still trying to find some fault in what people who are better off than you. I hate the term "hating" but this really is it to me. You looking at them like THEY doing something wrong :rofl:

I had been saving my checks for quite a while to finally move out to my own spot and I can tell you that for those few months I was extremely cheap and had almost no fun stuff going on... but when i was looking at my racked up checking account I wasn't thinking about how cheap I was being at all. I had to spend half of it and boy was I sad when it was gone. Building up again now. One time I flexed in casual conversation with a chick i wanted to smash like "yeah I have so and so saved up to move" and even though I was being super bummy and cheap at the time, she's been dropping the "Hey whats up" texts ever since (mind you..  she barely noticed me before.. shout out to mike jones). 

Moral of the story.. Save your money. Watch it pile up. Tell me if you really want to spend it on a bunch of cool stuff. If you answered yes, you probably didn't work hard enough for it.

Last edited:
In the words of Young Jeezy "Get your 1st Million dollars cash what you gonna do with it " When you hustle/grind/work for yours you appreciate it more especially if you coming from the bottom. So with that being said some people choose to spend it differently. Those same people who appear bummy might actually be more excited about the short sale home they bought more than a new outfit. Just different strokes for different folks

Back
Top Bottom