Why are the Utah Jazz, the Utah Jazz?

I know they used to be the New Orleans Jazz, back when Pete Maravich played, but when they moved to Utah, why did they keep the name?
Why didnt New Orleans take the name when the Hornets moved there? Utah Jazz doesn't make any sense, because no jazz music whatsoever,
isn't even relevant to that place. Same goes to New Orleans, Lakers, and probably other teams. Why do teams have names that don't even fit the city?
I know its kind of a tradition thing, but why have a name that doesnt make sense as to how it goes with the city?

Originally Posted by Zoom Air Panda

I know they used to be the New Orleans Jazz, back when Pete Maravich played, but when they moved to Utah, why did they keep the name?
Why didnt New Orleans take the name when the Hornets moved there? Utah Jazz doesn't make any sense, because no jazz music whatsoever,
isn't even relevant to that place. Same goes to New Orleans, Lakers, and probably other teams. Why do teams have names that don't even fit the city?
I know its kind of a tradition thing, but why have a name that doesnt make sense as to how it goes with the city?
I understand what you are saying and all...

But does it really matter? Sure there aren't many lakes in LA but hell why change the name?

Back then, teams didn't change names when they moved like they do today.

See: 'Los Angeles Lakers'.

Ain't no damn lakes in L.A.
roll.gif

Yes, I know there are lakes in L.A., so anyone trying to get smart: stop before you smart. Minnesota is the land of 1,000 lakes, and that's why they werethe Lakers. The name didn't stay 'Lakers' when they moved to L.A. because L.A. is also a land of 1,000 lakes.
laugh.gif

Brooklyn Dodgers? The name was because of people in Brooklyn 'dodging' those old street cars. They moved to L.A., where there were no street cars, sothe name didn't really fit.

Teams didn't used to just automatically change names when they moved like they do now.

I'd say the most recent example of a team moving but keeping their name, despite the name not fitting the new location, would be the Vancouver/MemphisGrizzlies. You think there are Grizzlies roaming around Graceland in Memphis?
roll.gif

In basketball and baseball I don't think exsiting teams that relocate typicaly change thier names. The only sport really is football, Houston Oilers toTennesse Titans, Clevland Browns to Baltimore Ravens, ect.

Originally Posted by illmaticsoulchild

Good post. I don't see any damn dinosaurs in Canada either.. well, nevermind.
nerd.gif

i think its because they found a lot of fossils or something like that in canada.

What team names DO makes sense and are relevant to their cities nowadays other than these? Feel free to add if I forget...

- Miami Heat
- San Francisco 49ers
- San Antonio Spurs
- Houston Rockets
- Dallas Mavericks

On a side note, the WORST has to be the Washington ********. I mean c'mon, RED...SKINS. Atlanta has Braves, Cleveland has Indians, but Washington'sname is probably the most discriminating name in pro sports. No offense to the fans.

they should trade names
laugh.gif

Utah Grizzles
Memphis Bobcats (idk there should be Bobcats somewhere in the Smokey Mountains
laugh.gif
)
New Orleans Jazz
Charlotte Hornets
The way it should be....it'll never happen tho...too much value in the names

On a side note, the WORST has to be the Washington ********. I mean c'mon, RED...SKINS. Atlanta has Braves, Cleveland has Indians, but Washington's name is probably the most discriminating name in pro sports. No offense to the fans.

WRONG.

The term ******* refers to the color of the paint they used to use to paint their faces before going into battle, and had nothing to do with the natural colorof their skin. Most Native American groups have no problem with it at all.

Originally Posted by 5am6oody72

On a side note, the WORST has to be the Washington ********. I mean c'mon, RED...SKINS. Atlanta has Braves, Cleveland has Indians, but Washington's name is probably the most discriminating name in pro sports. No offense to the fans.

WRONG.

The term ******* refers to the color of the paint they used to use to paint their faces before going into battle, and had nothing to do with the natural color of their skin. Most Native American groups have no problem with it at all.

Still a bad name nonetheless. I can't give any examples right now but their current name can rub people the wrong way.

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

Brooklyn Dodgers? The name was because of people in Brooklyn 'dodging' those old street cars. They moved to L.A., where there were no street cars, so the name didn't really fit.

Instead of street cars the people in LA dodge bullets. At least according to gangsta rap and hood movies.

WRONG.

The term ******* refers to the color of the paint they used to use to paint their faces before going into battle, and had nothing to do with the natural color of their skin. Most Native American groups have no problem with it at all.

That sounds nice and all...But show me where that applies in their logo.

http://www.johnny-bingo.com/images/********.gif

I'd say the most recent example of a team moving but keeping their name, despite the name not fitting the new location, would be the Vancouver/Memphis Grizzlies. You think there are Grizzlies roaming around Graceland in Memphis?
roll.gif

I'm pretty sure Grizzlies majority owner Michael Heisley saw it more as a legacy thing. They're staking up franchise L's that will soon rivalthe Clippers

Rockets came from the fact that down here we have that little thing called NASA... Ever heard of it?
laugh.gif
Almost all of Houstons team names are related tospace. Rockets, Comets, Astros...

What team names DO makes sense and are relevant to their cities nowadays other than these? Feel free to add if I forget...

- Miami Heat
- San Francisco 49ers
- San Antonio Spurs
- Houston Rockets
- Dallas Mavericks
I dunno if you're being sarcastic or not.

cleansneaksonly21:
they should trade names
laugh.gif

Utah Grizzles
Memphis Bobcats (idk there should be Bobcats somewhere in the Smokey Mountains
laugh.gif
)
New Orleans Jazz
Charlotte Hornets

The way it should be....it'll never happen tho...too much value in the names
roll.gif
@ a 4-team trade... FOR NAMES

laugh.gif

That's awesome.

And it's even more awesome that two of those names are former teams.

I'd say the most recent example of a team moving but keeping their name, despite the name not fitting the new location, would be the Vancouver/Memphis Grizzlies. You think there are Grizzlies roaming around Graceland in Memphis?
roll.gif

Grizzlies actually has a history in Memphis.
The WFL (football league that existed in the mid 70's to compete with the NFL - a forerunner to the USFL) had a team there called the Grizzlies.
memorabilia_sticker_01.jpg

Originally Posted by the PGA tour

WRONG.

That sounds nice and all...But show me where that applies in their logo.

http://www.johnny-bingo.com/images/********.gif

We didn't adopt that logo until a long time after the team was formed. The old helmets had the spear, and eventually the R logo on the side. By thetime they came up with the logo they were probably just associating it with the old name (Braves)/the idea of an Indian. I don't know that an Indian with ared face (like the Cleveland Indians logo) would have been better, it probably would have been more offensive.

It sounds more like it's more like they adopted that story after people started to complain about the name, to me.

BTW that was the logo from 1965.

Back
Top Bottom