Why Are There So Many Murders in Chicago?

Its ridiculous. New York has large housing projects. LA has a huge gang population. Both cities have larger populations, yet nowhere near the murder rate. I think the combination of gentrification and lack of police is the real culprit

How do the murder rates in the favelas in Rio compare to the murder rate in Chicago?

Its ridiculous. New York has large housing projects. LA has a huge gang population. Both cities have larger populations, yet nowhere near the murder rate. I think the combination of gentrification and lack of police is the real culprit
It's not a lack of police, dudes are shooting at police like the next man on the street. I don't blame cops for not riding down a block that they too might get shot on.

Why doesn't the NAACP come in and do something worthwhile aside from being a scapegoat?  Like it's been said by a couple posters above me, people on the streets have no respect for authority- so why does it matter if there's 1 or 10 cop cars on the block?  It's gonna be a never ending cycle for our population if the root cause isn't addressed!  We need supervision in the family.  Don't blame the schools, the cops, the system.  Our president is black- that shows that anything is possible today.  The world is yours, and unfortunately people are never gonna get out of the hood, the violence, the drugs if the problem isn't fixed at home.  Is it the cops job to make sure our kids get the homework done?  Is the teacher responsible for what his or her students do 6 hours after the final bell rings?  

I hate to say it, but I really think the Bill Cosby mentality is the only way to fix problems like this.  We need to stop pointing fingers and be held accountable for our actions!

It is really simple Chicago needs the federal government to step in and help. I remember taking a class on urban development last year and the professor said that the reason DC has changed so much was due to the fact that the senators were tired of seeing DC look like a slum. Chicago needs help and they pretty much should follow a no tolerance model for ALL of their laws.

Why doesn't the NAACP come in and do something worthwhile aside from being a scapegoat?  Like it's been said by a couple posters above me, people on the streets have no respect for authority- so why does it matter if there's 1 or 10 cop cars on the block?  It's gonna be a never ending cycle for our population if the root cause isn't addressed!  We need supervision in the family.  Don't blame the schools, the cops, the system.  Our president is black- that shows that anything is possible today.  The world is yours, and unfortunately people are never gonna get out of the hood, the violence, the drugs if the problem isn't fixed at home.  Is it the cops job to make sure our kids get the homework done?  Is the teacher responsible for what his or her students do 6 hours after the final bell rings?  

I hate to say it, but I really think the Bill Cosby mentality is the only way to fix problems like this.  We need to stop pointing fingers and be held accountable for our actions!

my man

repped and cosigned. i have been preaching this from the start. if it starts with the kids than the solution starts at home. PERIOD. anything else would be a big help but wouldn't solve the problem fully, you need to start at the source. the same way children aren't born racist, the same way they aren't born violent and rachet. this non snitching, violent, gang life is taught, plain and simple. if you have a kid, you be responsible for that kid. (with that said, if you can't be responsible for a kid, use a ******g condom :smh:) make sure that kid knows that the keef way isn't poppin and that it will only land you in jail or in the earth.

Lets be clear, im talking about black folks. Yes, black. Im lying or sugarcoating if i put it any other way. most of the killing is within the black community. and at damn near 50 in 4 weeks into 2013, thats a lotta ******g blacks killing/being killed. the no snitching clause in this mess is just the cherry on top. Now if i sound racist than so be it. I'm black and it pains me to say all this, but wtf am i supposed to say? Give reasons as to why its not black folks fault? Hardships aside, most of these killings aren't survival (food, shelter, etc) related. Its on some ********. And there is no gov't body, law, or social institution to blame more than the people themselves.

If kids are brought up right, then they in turn will instill in their kids the same level of responsibility and desire to make something of themselves in life.and succeed. But if they are brought up with lack of responsible parenting, then it will continue to be a rinse and repeat process and **** will never change.

for reference http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/01/02/us/chicago-killings.html

Last edited:
my man

Lets be clear, im talking about black folks. Yes, black. Im lying or sugarcoating if i put it any other way. most of the killing is within the black community. and at damn near 50 in 4 weeks into 2013, thats a lotta ******g blacks killing/being killed. the no snitching clause in this mess is just the cherry on top. Now if i sound racist than so be it. I'm black and it pains me to say all this, but wtf am i supposed to say? Give reasons as to why its not black folks fault? Hardships aside, most of these killings aren't survival (food, shelter, etc) related. Its on some ********. And there is no gov't body, law, or social institution to blame more than the people themselves.

for reference http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/01/02/us/chicago-killings.html
You might want to take a look at the actual murder statistics. I noticed that nytimes chart makes no mention of Latinos. Latin gangs are huge in Chicago.

It's a minority problem. Not a "black folks" problem.

Chicago is just ahead of the rest of our country....every major city will look like this if we don't fix our economy and overall greedy nature as humans.

Although Chicago has one of the most stringent gun ownership laws in the nation, most criminals caught with illegal guns never do jail time, the station reports. In New York, an illegal gun conviction carries a mandatory three to five-year prison sentence.

:x

my man

You might want to take a look at the actual murder statistics. I noticed that nytimes chart makes no mention of Latinos. Latin gangs are huge in Chicago.

It's a minority problem. Not a "black folks" problem.

point me in the right direction then my dude. im seeing that the demographic map in the NY times is black, white, asian, other. honestly now that i think about it, not mentioning latinos is odd, unless they were to fall under other. nonetheless the map lays out which areas are populated by which demographic and blacks take up a big portion of it, areas of which have the highest density of murders. and i kno the NY times isn't about to say black= black/latino. in this country they're not categorized the same.

i can buy the argument somewhat that its a minority problem. but im guessing blacks are that majority minority in chicago? hence where my focus lies. and im including experience growing up in nyc and living in philly for 5 yrs.

This is true, but remember how everyone called Bill Cosby an Uncle Tom and all that when he made his statements. Racist author Michael Eric Dyson even wrote a book about it. You cannot deny that the American way of life has been hard on people of African descent, but giving up is not the answer. Numerous races throughout history have been enslaved and held down in different ways and it seems that they always rise above and move on. I blame the media for constantly reminding us of our differences and focusing on race more than economic and social issues. If you continually remind someone that they are not responsible for their actions, and that they can never rise above a certain status, why would they try to change? Black people in this country can and should do better. I think ya'll need another real leader like Malcolm or Martin, instead of these crooked scam artists like Sharpton and Jackson. We all saw how quick the system took out MLK and X though. :smh: It is all part of the plan, divide and conquer. I also believe that the welfare system has destroyed the black family in this country. A black man is not required to look after his seed anymore, because that government check is guaranteed to keep them fed, clothed and sheltered.

It is really simple Chicago needs the federal government to step in and help. I remember taking a class on urban development last year and the professor said that the reason DC has changed so much was due to the fact that the senators were tired of seeing DC look like a slum. Chicago needs help and they pretty much should follow a no tolerance model for ALL of their laws.

This absolutely does not need to happen. When was the last time the federal government ever made anything better? You want Chicago to be under martial law with troops kicking in people's doors and arresting people with no warrants or even killing them? There already is a no tolerance model for all their laws. You think they aren't locking people up for life for murder or drug charges? People have this image that they get from television and movies that there is some sort of revolving door for prisons. That is far from true. Minimum mandatory sentencing guarantees that you can do life in prison for a one time drug charge with zero priors. No violent criminals get released on the street. The only people that get short term sentences are pedophiles and rapists.The change in Chicago has to come from within, but Chicago has a deeply ingrained gang culture that goes back before the time of Capone. They don't call it The Wicked City for nothin..

As someone who lives in a high-violence community in Chicago and works with the youth that are in the streets, these are my views. First and foremost, the "root issue" is that society doesn't value the lives of the young people in these communities and they know it.

When they wake up in the morning and walk outside, their neighborhood literally looks like it's a war zone. Crumbling, boarded up buildings and unkempt vacant lots with three-foot high grass and discarded garbage make up more than half of their block.

When they get to school, they walk through metal detectors and have armed city police officers patrolling in their buildings daily. A lot of schools don't have basic amenities like enough books, copy paper, toilet tissue, etc. The walls haven't been painted in God knows how long. In some of these schools, one in three teachers are not in school on any given day.

When classes are over for the day, they have few if any after-school programs available at the school. Sports are available on an extremely limited basis as few sports are offered and few slots are available on each team. Some school literally have four sports teams - football, boys basketball, girls basketball, and cheerleading. There are no community centers available for them to spend the hours after school safely and in a constructive environment. The police line up outside the school, often on horses and sometimes with police canines, when the final bell rings and clear the school grounds as if every student were involved in a plot to start a riot.

They go home and there's barely enough food in the house and little in the way of nutritious food because it costs too much, there isn't a grocery store for miles, and their mom doesn't have a car. Their apartment is dilapidated due to overuse and landlord neglect throughout the decades. They may have roaches and mice or an occasional rat because the city fails to properly maintain the vacant lots on either side of their building.

Their mother works but barely has enough to make ends meet. No jobs exist in their community so the mother has to take two buses and a train to get to and from work everyday. In fact, few of the adults in the community are regularly employed. And of those that are, all are barely making it. They know that there really is no place for them in the national (or global for that matter) economy. Even service sector jobs are being automated and putting even the most menial workers out of jobs.

Their interactions with mainstream institutions is essentially limited to school and law enforcement. Their experiences with both of these institutions are stressful and dehumanizing.

People are killed and incarcerated with regularity in their community and among their friends and family. These outcomes are much more normal than getting a college degree and a great career. In fact, they don't really know anyone personally who has graduated from college and is doing great.

At the same time, they know that their experience is not normal. It's not how every young person has to live. It's not how most young people live. But because they're Black and poor or Latino and poor it's how they have to live.

Thus, aside from maybe their parents (which can be powerful, don't get me wrong) and maybe a teacher they like, their entire existence screams at them that they do not matter. That they are considered expendable to society at best and parasitic at worst.

WHY WOULD THEY FEEL ANY DIFFERENTLY ABOUT THEMSELVES THAN WHAT THEIR EXPERIENCES IN SOCIETY HAVE TRAINED THEM TO THINK? Why would they properly value the lives of those around them when they don't value their own life because they feel they have nothing to live for other than some semblance of respect on their block and being treated as a martyr for the hood when they're dead?

It's truly amazing that these issues aren't much bigger...

JCChambers- I am a police officer in DC and in Chicago what needs to happen is that laws need to be tighter. There laws are reflective of their liberal mayor.

JCChambers- I am a police officer in DC and in Chicago what needs to happen is that laws need to be tighter. There laws are reflective of their liberal mayor.

I will preface by saying that I am no fan of the mayor of Chicago. I don't directly blame society for these murders either, because we all have to be held responsible for our own actions. There is no quick solution, but the solution must come from within the black community and family structure, and not from an external attack.

In Chicago on a daily basis police officers frisk pedestrians with zero probable cause and no warrants, violating the Constitution freely. The old model of police officers being vanguards of the community and helpful protectors is no longer a reality. Police are becoming more militarized by the day and they are taught to react violently and lie under oath in court. Let's not even get started on rampant steroid use among law enforcement. Interactions with police are often violent and demeaning to the citizens. Every day we get a new report of police brutality or violations. How many more are not reported? How many actions of so called "bad cops" are covered up by so called "good cops"? Many children in inner city Chicago are treated like criminals in their own schools.What laws would you recommend that they "tighten"? Is murder not already punishable by life in prison? Guns are completely illegal. How would new laws solve this problem, without violating the Constitutional rights of both law abiding citizens and criminals? You say that you are a police officer, so I am sure that your view is; "Let us do whatever we want and we'll clean up the streets." That view may be viable in Iraq or Soviet Russia, but here in the United States of America, we still have a slight semblance of freedom that we are trying to hold onto without becoming a full blown police state. However, I am sure that you believe that laws need to be tighter because, as Upton Sinclair stated:

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."

Last edited:
I always hear people talking about it starts with the parents and that the solution to all these problems has to do with the quality of parenting these kids receive. The cliche is, "it starts at home". The thing I always wondered is how do you expect some of these parents, who never had good parenting themselves, who are stressed to the max with just providing basic needs and who really have no opportunity to better their situation to just wake up one day and start being exceptional parents? Are these parenting skills supposed to come to them in a dream? For many, good parenting skills seems like common sense, but of course those people probably had good parents, good examples to learn from. The parents are kids themselves, no matter how grown they are.

Remember that ATL security guard that tasered the mother in front of her kids? People were making comments about how they feel sorry for the kids and that the kids don't stand a chance in this world. This same kid, 10 years down the road will be in some vid stomping someone out over Jordans or getting killed in a questionable interaction with police and those same people will view that kid with disdain, as an animal that deserved what he got coming to him. That kid is now one of those people that NTers thinks deserves to be killed, tortured or locked up for life, that the world would be so much better off without.

At what point are these kids expected to start acting like the contributing adults that everyone thinks they should be? He turns 16 or 18 and all of the sudden he's supposed to have all these life skills, integrity and morality? At 13 or 14 he's a child welfare case, just a poor kid from a bad family that never had a chance. At 18 you want to lock him up and throw away the key or worse torture him to death for making poor decisions. How is it logical to expect a kid, now 20-25 years old with their own children to step up and be that perfect parent that will solve all these social issues in the community.

I think it is easy for a lot of people on the outside looking in to forget when, why and how this cycle began. You may not have the wholesale dehumanization of black folks or the targeted propagation of debilitating drugs this country once had but it is not difficult to go back over the generations and see the cause and effect of todays issues. It wasn't always like this. Less than 30 years after the slaves were freed, as blacks were cut off from the white economy, they had built their own economy to the tune of a couple billion dollars (that would be a couple billion in 1900's money, unadjusted for inflation). The crux of this growth was benevolent societies. Blacks looking out for other blacks. Building schools, educating their children all the way up through college entirely independent of the white public school system and political funding.

I will preface by saying that I am no fan of the mayor of Chicago. I don't directly blame society for these murders either, because we all have to be held responsible for our own actions. There is no quick solution, but the solution must come from within the black community and family structure, and not from an external attack.

In Chicago on a daily basis police officers frisk pedestrians with zero probable cause and no warrants, violating the Constitution freely. The old model of police officers being vanguards of the community and helpful protectors is no longer a reality. Police are becoming more militarized by the day and they are taught to react violently and lie under oath in court. Let's not even get started on rampant steroid use among law enforcement. Interactions with police are often violent and demeaning to the citizens. Every day we get a new report of police brutality or violations. How many more are not reported? How many actions of so called "bad cops" are covered up by so called "good cops"? Many children in inner city Chicago are treated like criminals in their own schools.What laws would you recommend that they "tighten"? Is murder not already punishable by life in prison? Guns are completely illegal. How would new laws solve this problem, without violating the Constitutional rights of both law abiding citizens and criminals? You say that you are a police officer, so I am sure that your view is; "Let us do whatever we want and we'll clean up the streets." That view may be viable in Iraq or Soviet Russia, but here in the United States of America, we still have a slight semblance of freedom that we are trying to hold onto without becoming a full blown police state. However, I am sure that you believe that laws need to be tighter because, as Upton Sinclair stated:

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."

Strong post.

Please tell us what laws in Chicago need to be "tighter" kaygee6...

Strong post.

Please tell us what laws in Chicago need to be "tighter" kaygee6...

And I agree with your post as well, Red (surprisingly :wink: ). Harsher laws are not the answer here. Look at what harsh drug laws and mandatory minimums have done to this country. :smh:

Last edited:
I always hear people talking about it starts with the parents and that the solution to all these problems has to do with the quality of parenting these kids receive. The cliche is, "it starts at home". The thing I always wondered is how do you expect some of these parents, who never had good parenting themselves, who are stressed to the max with just providing basic needs and who really have no opportunity to better their situation to just wake up one day and start being exceptional parents? Are these parenting skills supposed to come to them in a dream? For many, good parenting skills seems like common sense, but of course those people probably had good parents, good examples to learn from. The parents are kids themselves, no matter how grown they are.

Remember that ATL security guard that tasered the mother in front of her kids? People were making comments about how they feel sorry for the kids and that the kids don't stand a chance in this world. This same kid, 10 years down the road will be in some vid stomping someone out over Jordans or getting killed in a questionable interaction with police and those same people will view that kid with disdain, as an animal that deserved what he got coming to him. That kid is now one of those people that NTers thinks deserves to be killed, tortured or locked up for life, that the world would be so much better off without.

At what point are these kids expected to start acting like the contributing adults that everyone thinks they should be? He turns 16 or 18 and all of the sudden he's supposed to have all these life skills, integrity and morality? At 13 or 14 he's a child welfare case, just a poor kid from a bad family that never had a chance. At 18 you want to lock him up and throw away the key or worse torture him to death for making poor decisions. How is it logical to expect a kid, now 20-25 years old with their own children to step up and be that perfect parent that will solve all these social issues in the community.

I think it is easy for a lot of people on the outside looking in to forget when, why and how this cycle began. You may not have the wholesale dehumanization of black folks or the targeted propagation of debilitating drugs this country once had but it is not difficult to go back over the generations and see the cause and effect of todays issues. It wasn't always like this. Less than 30 years after the slaves were freed, as blacks were cut off from the white economy, they had built their own economy to the tune of a couple billion dollars (that would be a couple billion in 1900's money, unadjusted for inflation). The crux of this growth was benevolent societies. Blacks looking out for other blacks. Building schools, educating their children all the way up through college entirely independent of the white public school system and political funding.

Excellent post. One of the issues that has changed the dynamics within the Black community since the Civil Rights Movement is that the Black middle and upper classes have been able to take advantage of the gains won in the movement and some of the concessions forced by the subsequent Black Power movement while the impoverished Black masses have been locked out from these same opportunities and resources. Thus, the Black community is less monolithic now (in the sense that the issues and priorities facing different strata of the community are different) than it ever has been...

tumblr_lrac7p6d211qlu84bo1_500.jpg

Either they don't know, don't show, or don't care about what's goin' on in the hood

Back
Top Bottom