Why are we allowed to have WMD but other countries can't?

other countries are allowed to have wmds. its just unsettling when third world nations with intense racial/religious/ethnic biases, culturally ingrainedhatreds for neighboring countries, and psycopaths as head of state acquire a surplus of nukes or mustard gas.

that we have issues with.

and besides. the US knows better than them. let us do your bombing for you.

Originally Posted by Nako XL

other countries are allowed to have wmds. its just unsettling when third world nations with intense racial/religious/ethnic biases, culturally ingrained hatreds for neighboring countries, and psycopaths as head of state acquire a surplus of nukes or mustard gas.

that we have issues with.

and besides. the US knows better than them. let us do your bombing for you.

for some reason I found this funny in a "that's basically what happens" sort of way
laugh.gif
ohwell.gif

Dirty already said it but it comes down to countries agreeing to strict controls to stop "rogue states" and others using them.

I suppose it's the same argument as to why cops carry guns - to prevent crime by others.

The US has been a bit lax on agreeing to the regulations under the previous administration but hopefully that will change for the better.

How do they determine if a state is "rogue" though.
Sorta seems like we are policing the world. IMO

US, France, Russia, China, and UK all have nuclear weapons.

Full disarmament is in a dicey position. If every country got rid of every nuclear weapon, any single "rogue" country would have a HUGE benefit ifthey were to somehow create a nuclear weapon on their own. As it is, a single country creating a nuclear weapon isn't as big of a threat BECAUSE there areother countries (who have signed a treaty and who are in theory trying to comply with its restrictions) that have weapons.

It's kinda like if 10 policemen have a gun, any single criminal having a gun isn't going to be a too big of a threat to the people. However, if NOBODYhad guns, a criminal that somehow got a gun would be a MAJOR threat -- pretty much an all-out crisis.

sorry i just had to share this with you, the largest explosion ever created by mankind
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

the mushroom cloud was� 40 miles high
the explosion coulda been felt� & seen� & breaking windows� of up to 620 miles away from the blast site
the floor turned into glass from the extreme heat
3rd degree burns at even 62 miles
solid rocks turned to ash

Enjoy:

Originally Posted by kicks4kaskets

we invented them

But what gives us the right to impose our will on other nations? No way in hell the US would allow foreign inspectors to search their weapons cache.

There is the Nuclear Non Proliferation Treaty (NPT) which all but 4 countries signed I believe some time in the 90s.

There are a few countries who already had Nuclear weapons, one of them being the United States. The US has such a huge arsenal of weapons because of the ColdWar, however we have vowed to decrease our numbers along with the other countries. Supposedly we have been continuously disarming and have about 50% of thearsenal we had ten years ago.

North Korea signed, but withdrew from the treaty, and I think Pakistan and Israel were also non-signatories.
But what gives us the right to impose our will on other nations? No way in hell the US would allow foreign inspectors to search their weapons cache.
It's not the US acting alone in this treaty. It's not just US inspectors. Yeah we did kind of impose our will by invading Iraq but asfar as the whole inspecting goes, it's not just US officials doing it.

yes we police the world. But dont have problems with ethnic cleansing (i.e kosovo, sadaam hussein and the kurds) nor do we try and wipe out whole people groups( stalin, hitler).

Originally Posted by vctry20

There is the Nuclear Non Proliferation Treaty (NPT) which all but 4 countries signed I believe some time in the 90s.

There are a few countries who already had Nuclear weapons, one of them being the United States. The US has such a huge arsenal of weapons because of the Cold War, however we have vowed to decrease our numbers along with the other countries. Supposedly we have been continuously disarming and have about 50% of the arsenal we had ten years ago.

North Korea signed, but withdrew from the treaty, and I think Pakistan and Israel were also non-signatories.
It's not the US acting alone in this treaty. It's not just US inspectors. Yeah we did kind of impose our will by invading Iraq but as far as the whole inspecting goes, it's not just US officials doing it.

that's just a nice way of saying "cold war era weapons are obsolete so lets get rid of that stuff and replace it with more advanced but less spaceconsuming and more technologically advanced weapons"
pimp.gif

I don't understand why the US and Russia stockpiled so many nuclear weapons during the Cold War. What possible strategic value is there in being able toblow up the world 50 times over? What a waste of cash...

Back
Top Bottom