Why aren't NFL Players Marketed Like NBA Stars???

Warren Sapp did an interview before a Sunday morning game about 5-6 years ago and they asked him about this. It's been said in here already, but he saidsomething like "Nobody knows who the hell we are, we got our damn face covered the whole time". I think itsa combo of the helmet, the amount of players, and the fact that football is truly a team sport while basketball has a lot of individuality involved. Lebronwill be celebrated if he goes for 40 and 10 but still loses, where as if Manning goes 30-35 for 350 yds and they get an L, it doesnt mean half as much.

The NBA is the talk of the town. The NFL doesn't give you entertainment like this. I love it.
Me and my boys go back and forth about this. The NBA owns the off-season but the NBA just can't compete when it comes to the importance of the actual games.

Me and my boys go back and forth about this. The NBA owns the off-season but the NBA just can't compete when it comes to the importance of the actual games.
Can't be argued because of the impact of losing even one game. I'm a basketball guy tho, so I always chose basketball regardless

Can't be argued because of the impact of losing even one game. I'm a basketball guy tho, so I always chose basketball regardless
I haven't watched a non-Super Bowl game in over 6 years. I give zero cares about Football, but I wish the NBA's games were as important as the NFL's. No way that is possible though.

Make the NBA season only 30-40 games.

Nah go with a balanced schedule, 58 games.

Play every team in the association 1 time at home and 1 time away.

Boost the integrity of the competition and makes for a higher quality of product with less fatigue and less dilution of the talent on court.

Man...as soon as I saw this thread was from 2008 and popping back up today with ~30 some posts, I KNEW you were behind the gravedig. SMH.

Man...as soon as I saw this thread was from 2008 and popping back up today with ~30 some posts, I KNEW you were behind the gravedig. SMH.
The topic was relevant with the NBA owning the off-season and people wanting to crown it as #1.

Would you have preferred a new thread?

I am a fan of keeping things the way they are in all sports for the purposes of historical records but lengthening the NFL season is downright dangerous.
Absolutely it is but they don’t care at all and the players won’t do anything about it.

I think sports need to be shorter as a whole. Basketball doesn’t need 82 game. MLB doesn’t need the 122 or whatever it is. NFL doesn’t need a preseason. Will never happen though. To top it off you have people who have never touched a ball in their lives complaining when players sit to rest........... or when they speak for that matter.

Absolutely it is but they don’t care at all and the players won’t do anything about it.

I think sports need to be shorter as a whole. Basketball doesn’t need 82 game. MLB doesn’t need the 122 or whatever it is. NFL doesn’t need a preseason. Will never happen though. To top it off you have people who have never touched a ball in their lives complaining when players sit to rest

MLB is 162. Out of curiosity- why do you think it needs to be shorter? I think preseason for NFL could be shortened because your starters don’t get that much burn anyway.

I think people complain, particularly in the NBA, that they spend their hard on money for themselves and kids on jerseys, tickets and inevitably the player they love and came to say is resting for “load management” when he’s healthy.

I think that’s more a reflection of America’s obsession with professional athletes but that’s a different conversation.

MLB is 162. Out of curiosity- why do you think it needs to be shorter? I think preseason for NFL could be shortened because your starters don’t get that much burn anyway.

I think people complain, particularly in the NBA, that they spend their hard on money for themselves and kids on jerseys, tickets and inevitably the player they love and came to say is resting for “load management” when he’s healthy.

I think that’s more a reflection of America’s obsession with professional athletes but that’s a different conversation.
Shorter for all sports?

1. Games are actually meaningful
2. The tail end of the seasons tend to be coasting since due to playoff placement being set
3. The length of the season doesn’t not make better games. If anything it makes them worse
4. Injury prevention
5. In some sports LONG TERM injury prevention
6. Longer off season to recovery
7. “More games help determine the better team” is a myth
8. People complain about PED use but why are they used? PED’s as used in sports is for recovery not skill. They get little time recover so PED’s are a legitimate option to sustain their Jobs. No I know this is a semi weak argument so I’ll just it at that. I know plenty use it for other reasons

Just off the top of my head

Last edited:
Shorter for all sports?

1. Games are actually meaningful
2. The tail end of the seasons tend to be coasting since due to playoff placement being set
3. The length of the season doesn’t not make better games. If anything it makes them worse
4. Injury prevention
5. In some sports LONG TERM injury prevention
6. Longer off season to recovery
7. “More games help determine the better team” is a myth

Just off the top of my head

I get that players are bigger, stronger, faster, playing year round, etc. but dog MJ, Hakeem, Magic, Elway, Emmitt, Deion, Ripken, Maddox, Bonds didn’t need shorter seasons. Why make exceptions for these new age dudes who are getting paid 3-4x and all the pampering in the world?

I’m not even old. I just fail to see the difference, outside of the above factors, which I’m not trying to minimize by the way, when pro sports are more lucrative than ever.

This is just a theory.

Player injuries are more common now because growing up, kids specialize in certain sports at an earlier age vs. the older generations.

Players play MORE high level sports through games/training vs. older generations. Blame rigorous training that can start at the age 12 and/or AAU, kids are putting many miles on their bodies before entering the league.

As a result, we see more injuries.

So I don't know if it really has anything to do with being pampered and however much $ they are making.

I get that players are bigger, stronger, faster, playing year round, etc. but dog MJ, Hakeem, Magic, Elway, Emmitt, Deion, Ripken, Maddox, Bonds didn’t need shorter seasons. Why make exceptions for these new age dudes who are getting paid 3-4x and all the pampering in the world?

I’m not even old. I just fail to see the difference, outside of the above factors, which I’m not trying to minimize by the way, when pro sports are more lucrative than ever.
Why are they the standee though? We’re smarter now. We have a better sample size to work with. “Well Jordan could do it” simply isn’t a standard with any backing to it. Just sticking to the list you provided, having the standee be the best of the best is unrealistic.

As for pay, that’s the owners fault not the players. Of the owners sat back and said they’d never go over X amount then it’s over and done with. What players get paid also has no effect on health nor should it be the deciding controlling factor.

I agree, "That is how it has always been" is a very poor reason to keep something going when we KNOW better.

This is just a theory.

Player injuries are more common now because growing up, kids specialize in certain sports at an earlier age vs. the older generations.

Players play MORE high level sports through games/training vs. older generations. Blame rigorous training that can start at the age 12 and/or AAU, kids are putting many miles on their bodies before entering the league.

As a result, we see more injuries.

So I don't know if it really has anything to do with being pampered and however much $ they are making.

I 100% agree with this and I understand inflation but the increase in salaries, revenue (due to new streams) and valuations has ballooned. I think eliminating games, particularly in the NBA, would hamper that.

I feel like even two NFL preseason games is valuable because a lot of fans can’t afford the regular season tickets so if they take their kid and they get to see their favorite players for a half at preseason prices, it’s meaningful to the fans IMO.

Back
Top Bottom