Why aren't wooden bats used in College Baseball?? Metal bats FTL

Discussion in 'Sports & Training' started by deepinthajeep, Feb 26, 2009.

1. deepinthajeep

deepinthajeep

I've never heard a valid (or any other) argument about why wooden bats aren't used in the college game. Eventually, you want to play in the bigleagues, the big leagues use wooden bats. If you want to maximize your potential as a player, why not do so with the equipment used in that league.

This to me, is the equivalent to playing with a smaller basketball (28.5) in college basketball. Maybe if they made the switch, you would see better hitters atthe next level? Who knows. Thoughts?

2. frenchblue23

frenchblue23

I guess it would negate the whole "taking a step to the next level".

It would sound dumb, but just how you don't see high school teachers, teaching college level courses.

Just like some people aren't meant to go to college, some aren't mean to go pro, so why teach it, you know?

I don't know. [​IMG][​IMG]

3. vctry20

vctry20

College ball is usually the only place where players on the level use metal bats. Most summer leagues that collegiate players play in are wood bat leagues

No players jump from college to the big stage either, they go through rookie league and farm systems, that is where they learn to use wood. I like the metalbats just because it makes college baseball more exciting.

4. finnns2003

finnns2003

Yeah I dunno... I love metal bats because the ball jumps off the bat and they don't break. When I played metro ball, we had to use wooden bats. I noticedthat there were less XBH.

5. RyGuy45

RyGuy45

I believe the cost is a major factor. That's how they were started in the first place in NCAA. Aluminum bats I assume are now given to the bigger schoolsfor free by the different manufacturers. And they rarely break unlike wood.

The bats themselves are not as super powered as you would think, i believe they deadend them about a decade ago and they are doing it yet again as we speak.Still, obviously more powerful than wood.

Instead of looking at it like "why doesnt everyone switch to wood like MLB?" you instead could look at it the other way....where every level ofbaseball and softball from kids to college all have switched to metal......MLB was just a hold out.

6. swizzc

swizzc

A good friend of mine plays college baseball, and originally the reason was (as Ry stated) cost. It wasn't cost effective for school baseball programs tokeep providing its players with wooden bats when they broke. However, most of the programs now have so much money that I doubt it would be a problem.

7. guillermo gutierez

guillermo gutierez

8. finnns2003

finnns2003

Yes, still more powerful than wood. Look at how many pitchers get injured from shots up the middle, now imagine that with 1.5 times more force.It's too dangerous, MUCH too dangerous... Guys in the majors are just too strong, it's all about safety.

9. tarvald drama chase

tarvald drama chase

ryguy.
    if MLB players used metal bats, someone would get killed
    just think of pitchers geting pelted with balls coming off of metal bats from the likes of Manny, and Pujols.... they would have their careers ended...

and plus, it would just be a home run show...everyone would be crankin em out with metal bats

they had this thing where mariners pitchers were taking batting practice with metal bats, and were just launching them out of the stadium

thats why the Pros dont use metal

10. frenchblue23

frenchblue23

u aint never heard of AP courses?

Ofcourse, but that's at your discretion.

11. RyGuy45

RyGuy45

12. offbad

offbad

u aint never heard of AP courses?

[​IMG]
    AP courses were a joke in high school. signed up for nearly every one of them, got 4s. they didn't do anything to help me in college except exempt me fromGE pre-reqs.

13. deepinthajeep

deepinthajeep

Cost issues, didn't think about that. Thanks guys. Any more answers?

14. fenixconnexion.

fenixconnexion.

if cost is the real reason that's a lame excuse, there's so much money involved in NCAA sports that they shouldn't even be complaining about bats.Here in Toronto, i switched over to wood bats when i was either 15 or 16, it was tough but the earlier you switch the easier time you have adjusting.There's a HUGE difference between metal and wood

15. RyGuy45

RyGuy45

^ You would be surprised the amount of schools who barely tread water with their baseball programs.

I can totally see how saving money first started a few decades ago....then eventually the manufacturers slap their fat names on the bats and cut a check toschools for using their bats, then eventually wood bats are an after-thought..

16. teets21

teets21

It's cost....baseball is not a revenue generating sport. This is coming from someone who played. I will get into more details when I get out of work.

17. fenixconnexion.

fenixconnexion.

i don't know man, it cant be as bad as in Canada where sports aren't really a big deal in schools and schools can't even give out fullscholarships out. and in the States the players have a higher chance of making the pros than here, they should be practicing with bats that will be used inthe big leagues

18. theblackhole76

theblackhole76

Baseball, probably moreso than any other major sport in America, has immense respect for records and traditions. Changing to aluminum bats would completelyalter the dynamics of the game and even more than the steroid era, you'd see home run records falling left and right. I don't think baseball would wantany more "asterisks". (Obviously in this case it wouldn't be asterisks for "illegality", but numerically speaking you're almostplaying a different game when you're switching out equipment like that)

Also, I don't really play baseball, but for those who do, a question: Does swinging and hitting with an aluminum bat require different technique or skillthan a wooden bat? Just curious, I really don't know.

19. durden7

durden7

20. p mac one

p mac one

1. The cost of wood bats that break.

2. Would you ever watch college baseball if the scores weren't high?

21. RyGuy45

RyGuy45

22. lurkin2long

lurkin2long Banned

if they used metal bats in MLB..............the game would get real silly.

big difference between wood and metal bats.

23. sir rob a lot

sir rob a lot

^^^ Is it fact that metal bats translates to more hits? Im jw, because i have no idea.

24. joe billionaire

joe billionaire

agreed

metal bats = more home runs, more hits, more points

25. fenixconnexion.

fenixconnexion.

i don't know man, it cant be as bad as in Canada where sports aren't really a big deal in schools and schools can't even give out full scholarships out. and in the States the players have a higher chance of making the pros than here, they should be practicing with bats that will be used in the big leagues
    Your response had no correlation with what he said. [​IMG]

what i meant is, in canada our programs are doing just as terribly, and possibly worse. yet we use wood bats.