Why can't they play with no helmets & pads in american football? vol. footy, rugby

When you put people in so much of this protective gear, it makes them feel invincible.  As witnessed in both football & hockey.  These men are fitted head to toe with weapons.

maybe thats what causing all these concussions, and wide sorts of injuries.  if you feel less protected, then you're not going to put yourself in vulnerable positions.

Which brings me to both Aussie Rules & Footy.  Both of which i've watched but have no clue as to what is actually going on.

Rugby players don't wear anything than maybe some upper body padding which is of very thin material.  Aussie rules players, i can't even see wearing any protective gear, maybe a jock but thats even questionable.

x610.jpg

This is what they wear for head protective gear.

x610.jpg

Look at this, it appears just as physical as the NFL.  but they don't need all the extra fancy stuff.

610x.jpg

610x.jpg

and then you look back at this, do you seriously need the hard caps on the shoulders.  the padding on the thighs.  facemask

011453814802.jpg

maybe thats what causing all these concussions, and wide sorts of injuries.  if you feel less protected, then you're not going to put yourself in vulnerable positions.
Are you saying that if the NFL went "pad-less," there would be a lower amount of injuries? Cause running through a field filled with multiple 200 pound super-athletes trying to tackle you is probablly gonna be alot worse without padding. And if you dont put yourself in vulnerable positions, your not set out to succeed in the first place.

No what he is saying is that football players use the helmet as a hitting weapon. Your not thinking twice about leading with your head with a helmet on. But with out it you won't be a flying missile at someone's head.

As someone who plays rugby, I always thought NFL players could improve so much by playing rugby, especially with tackling.

Rugby is the greatest sport on Earth, IMO. Glad to see some posts about it on here.

Originally Posted by you go boy

those dudes look frail compared to football players 
laugh.gif
Maybe watch a few highlights on Aussie Rules and Rugby before making a comment on their supposed frailty.  
indifferent.gif

I have always thought the same as an earlier comment, if a few NFL players learnt how to play rugby and tackle properly they would be so much more potent in defence.

Originally Posted by 10 Piece Nuggets

Are you allowed to tackle in Rugby or only sort of grab players and swing them down?
It's full contact, though you can get a penalty if you do not wrap the offensive player when you go to tackle.

A lot of those pictures are of backs, which are sort of like wide receivers in the NFL. Smaller and quicker.

Props are more of the offensive linemen, but have much more conditioning.

it's much harder to measure up a guy in rugby, for example.. whereas in american football, you've got 2 bulls running at one another.. merely because they're single plays at a time..

This is dumb. No, you don't need helmets or pads, or the fancy stuff... if you want players to die.

you ever taken a knee to the face? yeah, do that and then try and tell me to not wear a helmet.

if anything, it should be the other way around. rugby players should be wearing protective gear.
NFL players will die instantly without gear after one game. sheesh.

This is always an interesting question - and as usual the "football fans" don't get it.

Rugby and Aussie Rules players aren't as big on average as football players - because they play 80+ mins and have to be able to run the length of the park repeatedly.

But, the questions about have you ever had a knee to the face etc are silly and are obviously from people who have never watched rugby.

I would question the fact that football players actually tackle - more than anything they knock players to the ground. A tackle IMO is when you catch the player and bring him down - and I've had a lot of knees to the head doing that because you're holding on to him as he's trying to keep running.

It's definitely the case that players are hitting harder because the pads are better. If you took the pads away or reduced them then players wouldn't hit so hard because they would hurt themselves too.

It would be an interesting test to have a game with the players wearing only regular athletic gear - and see what it did - I bet it would look a lot more like rugby and could, in fact, make the game more open as the players would be more mobile and more likely to brush off contact - because it wouldn't be the crunching hits they have at present which knock them off their feet.

Originally Posted by Nash

This is a disguised sneak football diss thread, methinks.
nash quite frankly u arent too bright but im going to have to agree with you on this one...

Originally Posted by kdawg

This is always an interesting question - and as usual the "football fans" don't get it.
what's not to get? "american" football w/o pads?  gimme a break.

this is my favorite part: "it appears just as physical as the NFL. but they don't need all the extra fancy stuff."

yeah... he didn't need all that fancy stuff.

Originally Posted by wildKYcat

Originally Posted by kdawg

This is always an interesting question - and as usual the "football fans" don't get it.��
what's not to get? "american" football w/o pads?� gimme a break.

this is my favorite part: "it appears just as physical as the NFL. �but they don't need all the extra fancy stuff."

yeah... he didn't need all that fancy stuff.

Yeah, but that's the point people are making - you wouldn't get hits like that if they didn't have padding - because the defender couldn't do it without knocking themselves out.

The padding isn't at the modern level because of the contact - the contact is like that because the players feel invincible.

so which of the two sports have more injuries?

any serious injuries in rugby?

i undertsand somewhat what the rugby fans are saying but you arent going to change the nfl ever. they are set in the way they play their game. just like rugby will never change the way they play

Although both sports are physical as all hell...their gameplay dynamics are totally different.

Football without pads just wouldn't work.

Originally Posted by ShadyKay NT

Although both sports are physical as all hell...their gameplay dynamics are totally different.

Football without pads just wouldn't work.
Rugby isn't football without pads.

Originally Posted by swyftdahoe

it's much harder to measure up a guy in rugby, for example.. whereas in american football, you've got 2 bulls running at one another.. merely because they're single plays at a time..

This. I played rugby for a year in college (nothing serious) and the big hits occurred far less. It's too chaotic. I agree football players would benefit from playing rugby because of tackling form bug I still think pads are needed in football.

Back
Top Bottom