Why do African Americans continue to practice Christianity if it was forced upon them during slavery

shoelyesses shoelyesses
I agree with everything you're saying and then I don't. My disagreement comes in what I perceive to be the lack of understanding of psychology and why were still in this wretched state.

Using your dog metaphor, I think the backyard size has just increased and because we can't see the fence post anymore we've got the illusion of being free. On top of that, at the end of the day you're still a dog.

I know you didn't mean for that to be taken literally, but I say that to say this. Most would agree that the elite whites are the Negros "enemy" for lack of a better term in America. So if you're plan is to beat them/overcome you can't do it through your enemy's channels.

Politics/college/banking etc all belong to the European. Always have been and always will be his game. So using simple reasoning, you have to take it to a level where he can't compete with you. IMO that level is spirituality. To put things in perspective it's obvious why it's so important for the Jesus disease to be sustained by the negro. For the average african shoot the world for that matter, it's easy for them to say were blind deaf and dumb yet you show me a campaign where a people have been oppressed for as long as the American negro has and overcame it.

When we talk about the civil rights leaders and the transition to where we are now there is a lot if blanks to fill in.
Having a strong community starts with having a strong family unit.
So you take in account, the introduction of heroin, crack, gang violence, the private prison industrial complex, over saturation of gang music and you start to see that transition from the civil rights to now hasn't exactly been a cake walk where focus on the family unit could've happened.

I say all that because I used to be a person who shared the perspective that most of the world shares. "Dogs who've been set free, but would rather chase their tail in the same spot"

Fact of the matter is, the issue is way deeper then most people will give it credit. You don't resolve hundreds years of physical/mental slavery by giving someone a suit and a college degree.

Last edited:
I feel like Blacks in America are very comfortable with the idea that we have no control over who we are as a cultural group.

Everything we do is reactionary, and the reaction is usually left up to the crazy people to do.

Then we can shrug and laugh and toss our hands up and go "Man!! Ain't that crazy?" and then be mad because the media is depicting us in the exact way we want to be depicted.

Mind you, I'm talking post-civil rights.

Last edited:

45% is low, i expected it to be higher

hopefully both values will continue to trend downward over time
and id add its no coincidence that jail/prison system opted out of the rehabilitation programs and the higher education programs for religious studies. cant have dudes coming out like Malcom X, that would keep the recidivism rates down, and destroy the well oiled industrial complex program that's raking in billions.. Cause whats more dangerous a new man with a well education...or a guy that's the same ole same, uneducated and thinking/believing hope/faith will guide them through... Last I checked bill gates aint get where he is using psalms and passages....
@shoelyesses
I agree with everything you're saying and then I don't. My disagreement comes in what I perceive to be the lack of understanding of psychology and why were still in this wretched state.

Using your dog metaphor, I think the backyard size has just increased and because we can't see the fence post anymore we've got the illusion of being free. On top of that, at the end of the day you're still a dog.

I know you didn't mean for that to be taken literally, but I say that to say this. Most would agree that the elite whites are the Negros "enemy" for lack of a better term in America. So if you're plan is to beat them/overcome you can't do it through your enemy's channels.

Politics/college/banking etc all belong to the European. Always have been and always will be his game. So using simple reasoning, you have to take it to a level where he can't compete with you. IMO that level is spirituality. To put things in perspective it's obvious why it's so important for the Jesus disease to be sustained by the negro. For the average african shoot the world for that matter, it's easy for them to say were blind deaf and dumb yet you show me a campaign where a people have been oppressed for as long as the American negro has and overcame it.

When we talk about the civil rights leaders and the transition to where we are now there is a lot if blanks to fill in.
Having a strong community starts with having a strong family unit.
So you take in account, the introduction of heroin, crack, gang violence, the private prison industrial complex, over saturation of gang music and you start to see that transition from the civil rights to now hasn't exactly been a cake walk where focus on the family unit could've happened.

I say all that because I used to be a person who shared the perspective that most of the world shares. "Dogs who've been set free, but would rather chase their tail in the same spot"

Fact of the matter is, the issue is way deeper then most people will give it credit. You don't resolve hundreds years of physical/mental slavery by giving someone a suit and a college degree.
that is all true and in parts like you said I agree and disagree...yea the oppression was there and to an intent it still is...but when I look at for example ppl of other lands who have met with oppression and still are to a much harsher degree they still break those shackles chains and fight they oppressors. the thing is most black folks to use to old adage they aren't afraid to fail, moreso afraid to succeed.

its like again a dog, you take a house dog and leave him to fend in the streets... instinctly he is able to do so, but is often afraid of succeeding and actually making it, its a lot easier to just sit in the house and accept things as is. blacks are so far removed from equality, justice, leadership, ruling etc.... that they are afraid of it... if the world was just, and blacks lived like a modern day version of the past...they would lose it..

like the old saying misery loves company, well in most part black folks company is religion its become the single greatest eexcuse to actually advocate change, improvement and the betterment of blacks... its like the personal excuse to maintain, wallow in ones sorrow... aka like oh I need to diet but im to lazy to do so, so ill use the old good food is to expensive, I need to lose weight but well look at there, it isn't a gym in my neighborhood so now I have an excuse to not do what I wasn't gonna do anyhow, at least in my mind, as well as many others is the perfect non questionable so called valid excuse

Last edited:

45% is low, i expected it to be higher

hopefully both values will continue to trend downward over time
and id add its no coincidence that jail/prison system opted out of the rehabilitation programs and the higher education programs for religious studies. cant have dudes coming out like Malcom X, that would keep the recidivism rates down, and destroy the well oiled industrial complex program that's raking in billions.. Cause whats more dangerous a new man with a well education...or a guy that's the same ole same, uneducated and thinking/believing hope/faith will guide them through... Last I checked bill gates aint get where he is using psalms and passages....
thing is the people teaching these religions studies classes are not in on the system thinking "muhaha we will teach these people about christ to keep them in the dark", they actually think they are saving (or trying to save) these convicts. no one is going to come up with anything revolutionary reading the bible, it just acts as a place holder for time that can be used to gain real/practical knowledge 

I accept that historians count Jesus as a real person in history. Whether stories about him are all factual doesn't matter. If he believed he was the son of God and died for the sins of world. It doesn't hurt to say okay well if I come face to face with God when I leave this Earth, I know I'll be in good standing, and don't have to be afraid because I'm covered. If it isnt true then it won't matter. Christianity is the only religion that doesn't punish you or force you to atone for not being perfect. It's like having car insurance, prrobably can get by without it but theres a slight chance your wrong, so might as well be covered.
:rofl:

[COLOR=#red]A lot of ignorance in this thread, but I'm not surprised.

Furthermore, the entire bible is about a nation called ISRAEL. Their Rise, their fall, and their Rise in the future. Not some pagan "christians."

Anyway, I'm out.[/COLOR]

Last edited:
and the people who call themselves jews now aren't the same jews in that fable either

and the people who call themselves jews now aren't the same jews in that fable either

Call it what you want, it's evident the most High ain't dealing with you anyway (John 15:16) :lol:

All of the prophecies in the bible will come to pass (Romans 3:3-4 / Ezekiel 24:14). Those of you negros, latinos and native americans (the true Israelites according to the bible) who come back to your culture and your God, will rule this Earth, WILL, forever (Daniel 7:18). Your captivity is over and your God is calling you back before destruction hits this earth like yall never seen it. The same way the Egyptians had their chance, the Greeks, and this current extension of the Roman empire, you too, black and latino man, will have your chance, thus saith the Lord. :pimp:

"These are the last days but do I seemed phased?" - your current god, jay-z.

Knowledge and wisdom shall be the stability of thy times. Knowledge of what? the scriptures.

Last edited:

umm.... no

all religions are a set of cultural rules/guidelines/traditions that people can chose to follow or not follow, no religion punishes or forces anyone to do anything (let alone atone for not being perfect). it is those who practice the religion and their own interpretations of that religion that cause them to punish/force others for not being perfect.

christianity has been used as a justification to punish millions of people across the world and throughout history for "not being perfect", the same can be said about many other religions

the fact that you think that christianity is the only religion that doesnt do this shows that you have a lack of understanding for the other religions of the world
Ok you can say that... Obviously no one is being struck down by lightning if they do something wrong. But if you're going to say that the rules of other religions don't have to be followed, then what is the point of identifying with those religions. Judaism has very specific rules. They are meant to be followed. The consequences are spiritual. Islam? C'mon they are notorious for specific prayer and dietary practices. They're belief in a reward system is well noted. Hinduism's punishment system is rooted in their karmic beliefs. Buddhism is an exception, but I incorporate its tenets into my christian beliefs. I shouldn't have used the term "only". I was mainly focusing on the big ones and speaking of spiritual consequences. But you guys get what i mean. Other religions have a bunch of specific practices that half of the followers don't even adhere to. Christianity focuses on only a couple tenets. Love thy neighbor, love God, and do good works. They delve deeper and manifest in different ways but it's fairly simple at face value.

I don't use Christianity as a scapegoat to justify doing whatever I feel like, but I don't deny that many people do. Those people don't understand that "Faith without works is dead". They need to read more carefully. 

Last edited:
And to add it also shows ppl lack of decency and morality. Doing something on a bribe/fear reward system shows a lack of true character. Its the same like bribing a kid with candy to eat there veggies. Are they really eating brocolli because they truly value and understand the importance of veggies.....NO!!!!! They are doing it for the treat.Same goes for the fear monger aka imma whoop you aka the same severe punishments claimed by a god.

In doing this a person doesn't truly no right, nor practice right, they only do it under the above mentioned duress situations. Proof again as mentioned earlier, the stats show the most religious areas/ppl in large part are the ppl/areas with the most crime, sexual immorality. So for all the talk of oh religion is a tool of morals and helps ppl live righteous, the FACTS say the exact opposite. For all the ppl who say it enlighten and provides intellect etc, the FACTS show the exact opposite.

Cause end of the day the FACTS show it doesnt instill morals/decency etc... It uses reward/fear lack of understanding to get ppl to so call be decent good ppl.

If this wasn't the case and they were truly decent/moral ppl, they wouldn't FACTUALLY lead in the most indecent/immoral acts. Its like the child who acts good whenever their parents are present threatening with the belt in hand. Of course that kid gonna act right for fear of the lashes, lose the parent and the belt, and true character or lack there of comes to fruition.

Last edited:
Sheep if I don't agree with your point of view...enlightened if I do agree with your point if view...but if I'm a sheep for following something I've been taught, and you want me to follow what you've been taught, doesn't that mean if I follow what you teach me I'm a sheep for the enlightened flock...which is the same thing I was before, trading one shepherd for another?

My head hurts, I don't know if I should believe what I want believe or believe what I am being taught to believe...

Believe
Sheep if I don't agree with your point of view...enlightened if I do agree with your point if view...but if I'm a sheep for following something I've been taught, and you want me to follow what you've been taught, doesn't that mean if I follow what you teach me I'm a sheep for the enlightened flock...which is the same thing I was before, trading one shepherd for another?

My head hurts, I don't know if I should believe what I want believe or believe what I am being taught to believe...

That's what it seems like. Believe what you want to. **** anyone saying you should do this, that or the other.

Last edited:
This is off topic and I apologize
But I'll remember this like it was yesterday in middle school we watched amistad (now that I look back that was a heavy loaded movie to be watching at that young age)
But I remember all of the African Americans laughing, cracking jokes and the teacher who was African American turned the movie off and just looked at the class and she starting crying. I'll never forget it.

Last edited:
For everyone who gets all riled up about African Americans claiming Egyptian ties and royalty, take a seat. Egyptian/kemetic culture has been and always will be our history. Because we migrated to west Africa people think there's a disconnect between the two.

If you dig enough you'll see the pyramids are older then they say in the history books, and that Egyptians who claimed that pyramids belonged to a so and so dynasty also stated that they inherited the pyramids from a culture far older and superior then theirs.

Last edited:
Um what, one is truly following unknowingly and doing something out of fear lack of understanding. Doing things or lack there of not out of truly accepting and understanding the repercussions and actions that will follow.

Key example since we are talking about A.A. A.A. women lead n unwed kids

difference is one is doing something without a lack of true foundation and understanding actions/reactions.... but instead on right/wrong and reward/punishment on some unproven nonfactual regimen. the other is having knowledge and understanding based on actions/reactions and the repercussions that result in said actions/nonactions.

to stick on topic...a.a. lead in unwed kids, yet the highest in religious following... but if religion is the so call right/wrong perfection that it claims to be how can this be....? Simple, because it isn't. It again uses unproven right/wrong to deter actions and once the limits of boundaries are pushed and there aren't any repercussions backlash...it is deemed as ok acceptable. religion promises all this if you do this/that or the other, as a young you just accept it and take it for face value. once older and ppl resist and push the boundaries and see that it is all nothing more then selling wolf tickets, they continue to do these said wrongs etc... cause they see their isn't some god etc that will punish them. the don't have knowledge understanding foundation of the actions that will follow by having kids young and fatherless because this isn't instilled, what is instilled is you going to hell, such and such will happen. once you see its nothing more then idle threats, whats to stop prevent said actions from happening...? nothing thus why things are how they are. scriptures don't cover stats like how a child is more likely to have social/psychological issues as oppose to a 2 parent home. it doesn't address the likelihood of income disparities so forth and so on all the other ills and proven FACTUAL results/actions.

ppl who are less/non religion understand repercussions/actions and consequences aka the stats, the odds of having bastard babies etc... this is shown proven etc... thus is less incline to do said actions.

again another example why do you think recidivism is so high... simple they don't have a understanding of actions/reactions... they so call behave act right out of fear/reward right and wrong... their god is the warden, their reward is commissary and not be in iso/hole etc... Due to having a lack and understanding of actions/reactions repercussions because of said actions. Soon as that threat/reward system that is the prison is gone, all they have to go on is foundations of truths, actions/reactions, but since they lack those things they end up right back to the jail system.

Its like this a bad example but if you took two kids.. and one you told them stealing is wrong because god said so, the other you said because it could lead you to prison, or possibly getting shot and killed and you provided proof and showed them said repercussions the latter child is more likely then not going to steal...

Some may say no, but the facts would say otherwise. Why do you think many jails are full of black men being convict Christians?

Like I said early lets use the usa for example, blacks lead in religious following... with that said lead in crime, lead in immorality acts. Asian americans who are the least religious has the lowest in terms of percentage and numbers ( I listed % since some will say well of course the numbers would be lower because its less of them, but amount of ppl doesn't have really much to do with % of ppl) also has lowest crime rate, lowest immorality, lowest unwed kids, so on and so forth.

Like stated earlier, understanding actions/reactions and repercussions is a tried and true method and is productive in terms of having a forward movement, peaceful utopian society. Doing things and behaving on an invisible fence aka right/wrong unproven has shown to only work, so long as the ppl don't walk up to close to the edge, for then they will discover there is no fence and thus run wild...

At any rate, Christianity, white washing, self degradation are all part of a very well thought out conspiracy that serve purposes in a spiritual warfare that's being waged in front of our faces with little to no recognition.

PERIOD.

Last edited:
But I'll remember this like it was yesterday in middle school we watched amistad (now that I look back that was a heavy loaded movie to be watching at that young age)
But I remember all of the African Americans laughing, cracking jokes and the teacher who was African American turned the movie off and just looked at the class and she starting crying. I'll never forget it.

of course they did.... duh... now if it was some wshh or someone shucking and jiving... bafooning and ooning... they would have been all ears. Would have had full undivided attention.

I mean I knew this was true when Malcolm X the movie pretty much sold out nationwide in movie theatres in white areas... and barely made a dent in blacks...yet black folks was lined up breaking necks to go see bebe kids...

Ok you can say that... Obviously no one is being struck down by lightning if they do something wrong. But if you're going to say that the rules of other religions don't have to be followed, then what is the point of identifying with those religions. Judaism has very specific rules. They are meant to be followed. The consequences are spiritual. Islam? C'mon they are notorious for specific prayer and dietary practices. They're belief in a reward system is well noted. Hinduism's punishment system is rooted in their karmic beliefs. Buddhism is an exception, but I incorporate its tenets into my christian beliefs. I shouldn't have used the term "only". I was mainly focusing on the big ones and speaking of spiritual consequences. But you guys get what i mean. Other religions have a bunch of specific practices that half of the followers don't even adhere to. Christianity focuses on only a couple tenets. Love thy neighbor, love God, and do good works. They delve deeper and manifest in different ways but it's fairly simple at face value.

I don't use Christianity as a scapegoat to justify doing whatever I feel like, but I don't deny that many people do. Those people don't understand that "Faith without works is dead". They need to read more carefully. 
so do you follow and do as all the bible entails... ?

High school kids are the worst. I'll admit I was a wise a** and could be a punk @ times, but I knew to shut up and pay attention when were watching Schindler's List or Anne Frank.

of course they did.... duh... now if it was some wshh or someone shucking and jiving... bafooning and ooning... they would have been all ears. Would have had full undivided attention.

I mean I knew this was true when Malcolm X the movie pretty much sold out nationwide in movie theatres in white areas... and barely made a dent in blacks...yet black folks was lined up breaking necks to go see bebe kids...

Yea man it was very unfortunate to see/ experience. I agree a lot of ignorant media is what many focus their attention/money on. I honestly don't know what we can do as an entire entity to turn around.
There's this show called the last chance and it follows this school with the most misbehaved students in Chicago. It's a great show that explores the mental problems many face at a young age due to traumatic experience.

I may be late but just my perspective, Christianity and religion in general gives people something to believe in...a sense of a greater hope.  It provides explanations to things that otherwise may/could not be explained.  Upbringing definitely plays a part in religion but as time goes on, you do start to get your own sense of what the world really is (whether this reinforces your prior beliefs or contradicts them and leads you to look at things in a new light).  I think we can all say we've had times where we've questioned things religiously, and we have that right...it's natural. All in all though I see no problem with whatever religion or faith anyone practices.  If it provides something that you see beneficial and fit for your life and you're happy then who am I to discredit or take that away from you? Good discussion going on in here though guys

Back
Top Bottom